Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

36 Inch With Limit On Printing ? Why?

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

36 Inch With Limit On Printing ? Why?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2003, 07:07 PM
highflyer353535
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 36 Inch With Limit On Printing ? Why?

why is there a limit to 36 inch wide printing? i was in a blue print shop and there was i assume a plotter/printer which looks like it can handle a width much greater than 36 there was a roll of paper next to it that was much wider. is it that there is not a big demand on any wider width so they will not bother with printing any wider than 36?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:48 PM
Couch-pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, remember plotting is charged by ft/sqr. If you can fit to a smaller piece of paper, you save $$. Some places can plot to 60" widths, but how many dwgs have you seen that are 60" wide?

Also, 60" plotting may be more money as the jump in plotter sizes from 42" to 60" is about $20,000.00! For someone doing this from a business standpoint, guess who pays for it?

I've never seen a print for anything go past 42" width. There is also a handling factor as far as we're concerned as most modellers cut up plans to work on individual pieces anyway,
There's really not much point in going wide unless absolutely necessary.
Old 03-16-2003, 06:26 PM
Farmall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The advent of CAD/CNC has really been the driving force to bring drawing sizes down. 36 & 42" widths were the standard for blueprint drawings, 42" is pretty much gone anymore and can be hard to even find a blueprint shop that still has machines that will handle 42". With CAD you can pick a particular piece of a drawing and print that one piece in full scale. With Laser/CNC milling operations dimentions are lifted right from the CAD files so the machinest may never see an actual drawing to make a part.

Lance
Old 03-16-2003, 10:37 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We have a billboard company on the other side of the city who has an H-P 54 inch wide plotter which is leased. They receive the files for those huge rolls over the internet, and plot them out on during the evening, as it takes so long to run each panel.

If you need such wide plotting done may try one of these billboard places, as most blueprint firms no longer handle the extra wide materials. The local blueprint places handle the 36 inch wide, as it is the acceptable maximum that the County will take for any sort of building, planning or engineering plan, who is their largest customer.

Even hard to find a place which has an active Ozalid machine anymore.

Wm.