Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

group p47 Thunderbolt build project anyone?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

group p47 Thunderbolt build project anyone?

Old 08-29-2007, 01:56 AM
mdl76
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default group p47 Thunderbolt build project anyone?

Hi all... I downloaded the 1500 plans off a torrent site. I found a nice plan of this plane. I was wondering if anyone has looked through all these as I need to build a WW2 plane(my desires are getting the best of me). if someone has already started one of the WW2 builds from these plans please let me know. Otherwise id like to start.

Or maybe someone has better planes? Im looking for something free and WW2
Old 08-29-2007, 09:29 AM
P40 Maniac
My Feedback: (15)

Default RE: group p47 Thunderbolt build project anyone?

I have some corsair,P47,P51,P40,P39,P38,Spitfire cad files. If want them to look at can e-mail to you. Need you e-mail. You can PM it to me. Can send all my files Have all types of planes not just warbirds.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:55 AM
jamie_duff

I noticed the part about free - but I believe there can be an advantage to handing over cash on some occassions - this being one of them....

Firstly, and to get the unpleasantries done with, some of the world's best plans designers are giving up due to copyright theft and the distribution of unauthorised copies. This is a loss to all of us. There are many junk plans available for free, but we all lose out if the really good designers get fed up of having their designs stolen and sold/distributed without their consent.

Right, now that's over with, the advantage to the end user of buying plans is that almost always we are spending a few pounds/dollars/whatever into something which we know is going to fly. We are unlikely to waste balsa and expensive plywood cutting parts which later don't fit due to bad plans. Additionally, we can usually get high quality fibreglass engine cowlings and the like as well as good, clear, well fitting canopies for our models. Lastly, there is often the benefit of others (and even the designers themselves) to offer advice and support on a known product.

A set of good quality plans represents a miniscule proportion of the total cost of a scale model, so my choice would always be to buy plans from a reputable designer. At least I know that a model built from those plans will fly well

Of course, this doesn't apply to all subjects and there are some good free plans around. With something like a Thunderbolt though - why chance it? It's well covered by several good designers and all are proven to build well and fly well.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:27 AM
mdl76
My Feedback: (5)

Jamie, good point. I surely hear what your saying. Do you have some links to these plan designers?
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 AM
jamie_duff

Well, if you have the space and like them big, there's Nick Ziroli...

http://www.ziroliplans.com/cat_frameset.html

Jerry Bates does great plans of some interesting aircraft:

http://www.scaleaero.com/BAJB.htm

There was Brian Taylor until very recently but he's quit now due to old age and dislike of copyright theft - shame as his designs were superb.

www.bhplans.com Is/was the distributor for Brian Taylor... Bob may still have some left? He also distributions Dennis Bryant plans too which are very nice.

Traplet plans sell a lot of ex-Complete-a-Pac plans with accessories and these generally build into fairly good models, as well as a lot of other designers' efforts with canopys/cowls etc...

http://www.traplet.com/

Lastly (that I can think of just now) you'll find loads of good plans here:

http://www.myhobbystore.com/Products...3-cbb8169e5cea

Hope this helps?
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
crashontakeoff

I have something like two months before my N9M is done. But I have purchased motors that can be used on a warbird, I have been toying with the idea of a P 47 also. I would have to agree with the previous post about plans and short kits. This is my second and last scratch build I think, I am tired of cutting out all of those pieces. To me there is no loss of honor in letting a laser do the work for me, in my opinion well worth it. Actually a SBD would suit me better, I liked the looks of the traplet .40 size since no one makes a kit anymore unless I can find a Skyshark floating around, anyone, cash in hand! Thanks for starting this thread I had no idea those plans were out there.

crash