Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Scratchbuilding a bipe from internet plans - MY FIRST!!

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratchbuilding a bipe from internet plans - MY FIRST!!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:56 PM
mdl76
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratchbuilding a bipe from internet plans - MY FIRST!!

Here it is so far. My first ever scratchbuild. Heck, I only built 1 kit and that was 15 years ago (GP Spectra) Im going to take my time with it. I have been a slow stick for about a year and just recently a e-starter. I love to fly but I wanted to build to. WHAT A BLAST!!! Anyone thinking of scratchbuilding but cant decide, I say just do it... it adds a whole new element to rc planes.

I got the plans here. http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm (just search by name for biplane)

The only issue I hadwas my scaling is a bit smaller, I got a pdf file of the plans and it printed about 6% smaller then the 90cm wing the profili2 website states the plane has(maybe their wrong but the dims on the dxf confirm the 35in (90cm) wingspan) . But everything seems like it worked out cause the fuse came out to a perfect 3.5in diameter and the wingspan I have is 33. The 1/2 by 3/8 LE seems to look about right with my ribs to. I know I wont quite have the lighter wing load (than the 35 in WS)but with about 390sq in (both wings) It should be able to handle about 36 or so oz Im thinking.

I could not find any other links on the web about this particluar biplane but it looked like a good first build and so far its very fun. I suppose if it flies it will be icing on the cake ;-)
Being my first I expect to learn a lot.

It will be powered be a brushless and a 2100 11.1 lipo. Thinking of using the cheap ebay brushless. It puts out about 30oz thrust(maybe not enough?)

PS anyone care to join me in the build?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om33611.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	762015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63849.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	762016  
Old 09-13-2007, 10:50 AM
speed lover

Default RE: Scratchbuilding a bipe from internet plans - MY FIRST!!

Nice plan is it a pitts m12 why don’t you use a glow engine a little 15
Or 20 – 25 also does it have 4 channels.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:19 PM
dreadnaut

Welcome to the ranks of deciples of a dying art.

You could have had the copy center scale the print to get it closer to true scale, but in the final analysis, it doesn't affect the price of meat. There is nothing more satisfying than flying somthing you built.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:48 PM
sharpshooter223

ill see how your's comes out then i might think about building one, i do need a project and my p47 plans were lost when my other computer fried.
Old 09-16-2007, 12:02 PM
mdl76

Hay guys, thanks for the replies.
This is all I could find on the net about her,
( BIPLANE ) nice little Bipe is a Matthew Francis design. Matt says it is loosely based on a Stearman, but is not meant to be a scale model of anything.

Anyhow, im going to try to get a bit more done today. I did say I was taking my time

You guys Rock!
Old 09-16-2007, 12:03 PM
mdl76

ORIGINAL: speed lover

I like to fly around neighborhoods... I dont want some old lady chasing me done with a broom

I may do a gas someday though.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:16 PM
mdl76

Well, getting the wing together. not the pretties building board but flat. I used a straight edge to align the bottom main and LE TE. it should be free of warps. but for my first build.... im having fun and thats ALL that matters in life... HAVE FUN!!!!!
Im using CA glue, I will most likely start using wood glue when its gone. its to smelly. I think my nose is messed up now ;-). With wood glue you get time to work with stuff. but its surly a different technic.

Name:	Ec89828.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	763887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr54506.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	763888  
Old 09-16-2007, 01:35 PM
jlangholzj

nicely done, my challange will be getting the wings done like you said, no warp. i guess my board is made of 1/2 steel soo i probally dont have to worry

keep it up, check out the corsair!
Old 09-16-2007, 06:53 PM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: mdl76

Well, getting the wing together. not the pretties building board but flat.
Flat IS beautiful. I see you using a big level to weight everything down. I have been weighting down wings when I build them for years. I have a set of about twenty 1 1/2'' x 1 1/2'' x 2'' steel blocks that I use. I have even stopped using pins, other than to hold peices together that would other wise move, like holding shear webs to ribs. I never use pins to hold things to the building board. Ribs can still lift. I prefer assisted gravity.

For a first time builder, everything is looking real good.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:40 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: mdl76

ORIGINAL: speed lover

I like to fly around neighborhoods... I dont want some old lady chasing me done with a broom

I may do a gas someday though.
IF she can fly the broom pretty good invite her out to the halloween fun fly Nice scratch build BTW
Old 09-19-2007, 08:05 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can get the CA in the orderless type and it comes in three different thickness with longer cure times. For the thin I like those long thin tips so I can just use A drop or two where needed. The stuff is sometimes A thrill to sand, like always. I use about 6 different types of glue during A build but mostly CA. If you come down with A cold that won't go away stop using the CA or open A window close to you. It can cause problems with your health.
Looks like A fun build! I mostly build from MAN and RCM plans but Raindave sent me some plans A while back of A couple of old pattern planes I have to get to in the next year or two. So many planes and so little time and money.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
dreadnaut

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

If you come down with A cold that won't go away stop using the CA or open A window close to you. It can cause problems with your health.
When working with CA, I always place a fan behind the work, positioned to draw air away. You should also do this with epoxy. Even though epoxy fumes do not smell as strong, you can develop alergies to it. Use vinyl gloves when working with epoxy too.
Old 09-26-2007, 10:06 PM
Steve J
My Feedback: (4)

I have been studying this plan for the past couple of nights. Then I stumbled across this thread. I look forward to seeing your progress. I am thinking about "growing up" the plan to use a 90 4-stroke I have stored in a drawer somewhere. Can't wait to see how it flys
Old 10-02-2007, 12:05 PM
mdl76

Well.. the upper wing is done. Been taking my sweet time.. savoring the fun! Its good and flat, no warps!! just needs a little sanding. I plan to get the lower wing done in the next few days. more pics to come. The wing weights 3 oz.

Name:	Jh15658.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	775035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18278.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	775036  
Old 10-02-2007, 02:25 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Coming along nicely.

While it will fly just fine at 360z it would be nice if you can pick your wood and covering to help shave off a few ounces. For example a nice Monokote covering job on a model of this size can easily add 4 or so oz compared to one of the new lighter films that may only add 1/2 of that. Choosing lighter hardware, especially wheels and motor mounts and stuff like that can also help avoid the extra effects of gravity.

And 30 oz thrust on a 36 oz model will be super aerobatic while not quite being a full on vertical performer.