Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Router Table: Recommendations needed.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Router Table: Recommendations needed.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:50 PM
vmsguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Router Table: Recommendations needed.

It's time I add a router table to my shop.

I need it to make leading edges for my airplanes.

I can buy from Home Depot, Menards, and Sears.

I don't want to spend a ton of money, but I don't want cheap either. I want something decent.

Recommendations wanted.

TIA

Lyndon
Old 12-16-2007, 10:08 PM
bofrcr

Default RE: Router Table: Recommendations needed.

Howdy-do! Ever thing of making one? Not much to it,, funny that in all the woodworking shows that are on,, nobody has a store-bought table,,LOL all you'd need is a mount plate,, and I'd bet sears or any of the "big box", type stores would have blank ones,, too Most that I've seen aren't worth the money,, and spent a little time and a few bucks,,(MUCH less then what you'd pay for some cheapie) and you've got one that suits YOU !! go check out the router work shop,, and our good friend ol' Norm Abramson of the new yankee workshop (those sites),, it'll give ya all kinds of ideas!! Good luck!
Old 12-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Laird SS

Try looking for a set of plans for a table that you can build and spend the money on a decent router, for example, a Porter Cable 690. You could be surprised how many things you can find to do with a router table. If you will only be able to buy a table and router, don't buy cheap, but then don't go overboard on the price either. You might also try Rockler's or one of the woodworking supplies stores.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:25 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 86 Likes on 83 Posts

www.rockler.com
They have parts for router and general purpose tables. Frames are heavy duty metal
Old 12-17-2007, 08:11 AM
HO-229

It's true….
No wood shop I have ever been in has a store bought router table, they are not durable enough & are not of the correct size to do heavy work volume

The wood working guild that I belong to has two router stations they both have an aluminum plate as the bed 1/4" I think, I have never measured them. Aprox 24" square

Fences are all typically MDF or particle board glued up & trued square on the jointer

I personally believe all the high tech router gadgets are a waist of money, If you do allot of woodworking (I do) you will quickly find out that all that gadgetry is not needed
I would recommend your fence be made something like the attached pic for good chip removal

If you have some MDF it can be made into a router table
I have three router stations in my home work shop,
No. 1 is made from an old counter top (Formica) great router top medium with the back splash removed
No. 2 is plywood, this on is for a rotary cutter 8" square
No. 3 well it is a monster that can cut things 80" long
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay75923.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	827636  
Old 12-17-2007, 01:00 PM
carlosponti
My Feedback: (1)

I made an attachment for my table saw to sort of use my existing fence on my router. it works just fine. or really all you need is come MDF make the mount plate out of it and use the left over for fence and any jigs you might need later. then just mount the mdf router tablet to the bench with some "c" clamps and can be put away.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Roguedog

Hey Harbor Freight has a a couple of 1hp Shapers. Comes with stand and motor. Takes bothe 1/4" and 1/2" collets. Saw it on salw for $169
Old 01-09-2008, 04:05 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

FYI
I never had good luck with balsa and a router, the balsa is so soft and flexible the router bits have a tendency to gouge and tear the wood
But if you must

ORIGINAL: HO-229

It's true….
No wood shop I have ever been in has a store bought router table, they are not durable enough & are not of the correct size to do heavy work volume
So true,
My table was built from scrap 3/4" oak ply, Sorry I don't have it, I gave it away when we moved, I'm sure I'll be making a new one soon
you can see the fence of my old router table set up in the background of this picture

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...ics/d28e-1.jpg
all you need is a place to bolt up the router and a way to clamp a fence

Before you scoff and say what a POS,,, I cut all the panels for this using it

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...rking/70c3.jpg
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...20Woodworking/
Old 01-09-2008, 04:13 PM
scale only 4 me

Just another thought, for very small applications you can clamp a fence directly to the router
then clamp the router to your work bench, If I was just cutting leading edges out of balsa, that's what I most likely would do.

I've used this type set up hunreds of times

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...g/P1010156.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y25...g/P1010155.jpg
Old 01-09-2008, 04:36 PM
vmsguy

I ended up purchasing a Ryobi router and router table combo from Home Depot. $100.00. Then I added another $85.00 for a set of bits.

The one thing I kind of knew, but was reminded of after I ran it.. Routers create A LOT of sawdust.

I got the leading edges done. But I won't do anymore work with it until I get a shop vac.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:02 PM
mia45943

Anyone have a router table they recommend under $200? Home depot only has Ryobis near me. I really don’t trust their tools after a few bad experiences in the past. But Lowes did have a Bosch router table for around 180, which I am definitely considering. Any recommendations for online stores also?
Old 09-18-2021, 04:37 PM
carlgrover

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have a table saw, remove one of the wings and build a router table mounted to the saw table. Use the rip fence as the fence for the router. Rockler sells router table inserts that aren't too expensive. Just add a router and go.

carl
Old 09-18-2021, 05:36 PM
scale only 4 me

Well you better add some sacrificial piece if you use the table saw fence,

I'm a carpenter and cabinet maker by trade,, I gave away my router table and fence and use a super simple set up that stacks in the corner when not in use, ,made from scrap 3/4 ply est cost of materials at the time,, $15

Just clamps or screws to my run out table, fence has hole for dust collection,, K.I.S.S.