Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Corby Starlet

Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 AM
bps
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corby Starlet

Any one know of 1/3 scale or so plans for the Corby Starlet. I saw and took a lot of photos of the full scale painted in yellow and white at Oshkosh years ago. I was so impressed that I purchased a full set of plans and never built the full scale because of the complexity of the main wing spar. I have seen the ARF and I am not interested, I want to build my own.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 AM
yojoelay

Default RE: Corby Starlet

This fellow has plans for an 82" Starlet - not quite 1/3 but a decent start.

http://www.austinrc.org/onlineswap.html
Old 02-10-2008, 09:01 AM
petronio

Here you can download one, just type in starlet, it has a 155cm windspan. Greets
Old 02-10-2008, 01:17 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a set of my own CAD plans for an 82" Starlet if you're interested. I've never built an airplane from the plans but they are pretty much complete. As I recall the plans are pretty accurate to scale other than I stretched the tail moment just a little bit. I had the Hobby People Starlet ARF and, although it flew really well, I always thought it would have been even better if it were not quite so short coupled. Anyway, if you are CAD savvy and would like to see the plans I am more than happy to share them.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 PM
Leo

Heres´s one more source:
[link=http://www.vth.de/shop/shopfiles/product.asp?TID=KNDQ0XG6FAVT263415915&PS=1&PID=3201007&showcat=1&sparte=]VTH Plans[/link]
The specs says 1/4,5 scale but it doesn´t make sense to me..
Old 02-10-2008, 09:27 PM
bps

ORIGINAL: petronio

Here you can download one, just type in starlet, it has a 155cm windspan. Greets
I am sorry, you lost me on this one, please explain.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 PM
bps

ORIGINAL: Chad Veich

I have a set of my own CAD plans for an 82" Starlet if you're interested. I've never built an airplane from the plans but they are pretty much complete. As I recall the plans are pretty accurate to scale other than I stretched the tail moment just a little bit. I had the Hobby People Starlet ARF and, although it flew really well, I always thought it would have been even better if it were not quite so short coupled. Anyway, if you are CAD savvy and would like to see the plans I am more than happy to share them.
Thanks Chad. I will keep this in mind, I have my heart set on at least 1/3 because this bird is so small. It might make sense to just build the model from the full scale plans I have. Getting ready to purchase a 24x36 laser so this would be a great project to get used to it with.
Old 02-11-2008, 04:21 PM
petronio

Sorry, I didn't explain it quite well, go to that page, click on the left hand side on plans and drawings, then on the search engine type in "starlet" and it will appear. Byeee and good luck, dont forget to post pictures with your progress ;
Old 02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
Chad Veich

My Starlet design for those interested. It is CAD drawn and laser ready bps!

Old 02-12-2008, 04:42 AM
petronio

I can corroborate that, its a very nice plan . Congrats Chad!
Old 02-12-2008, 10:17 AM
bps

Chad,
Impressive! I would love a copy digitaly if you would be willing to share them. Laser ready got my attention. Hoping to purchase one this month 24x36" 60 watt. Also I just found that our local Office Depot has 48" scanning and printing machines now.
JEB
Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 PM
flyhighrc

I just ordered a giant scale Corby Starlet made by Sports Aviation. This plane has a 86" wing spand. I also ordered a saito 4 stroke 180 for on it, along with a new specktrum 7 chanel radio. I'll let you all know how it looks when it comes in. Have a great day.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:35 PM
Chad Veich

ORIGINAL: bps

Chad,
Impressive! I would love a copy digitaly if you would be willing to share them. Laser ready got my attention. Hoping to purchase one this month 24x36" 60 watt. Also I just found that our local Office Depot has 48" scanning and printing machines now.
JEB
JEB, somehow I missed your post above, sorry! If you send my a private email at the address below I will reply with the drawings attached.

[email protected]
Old 05-29-2008, 11:08 PM
Shubova
My Feedback: (9)

Hi,
Does anyone know someone who is selling the small yellow Corby Starlite. The one with the 60.75in wingspan. I know Hobby People discontinued them.
Thanks
[8D]
Old 06-11-2008, 08:51 PM
bdelmonte
My Feedback: (4)

I am considering Sports Aviation Corby Starlet for future use of one of my gas engines (Zenoah G-38, Quadra 42 or Fuji-Imvac 46).

Anyone try this plane with gas engine and willing to share their experiences here?
Old 06-14-2008, 11:03 AM
Shubova

Hi,
I'm looking for a Corby Starlet, the smaller yellow version.
Let me know if anyone is selling one. Hobby People does not stock them anymore.
Shubova
[8D]
Old 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM
MormonMike
My Feedback: (2)

Greetings!, Just bought the giant scale Starlet and will be installing a FOX 3.2 gasser. Yes, it is a little short-coupled like the .60 size version but, not a bad airplane to fly. I have the smaller one with a Saito .82 and it's quite a little performer, much better with a pair of Falcon floats too. It should be here Friday and I already have everything for it. This should be exciting, different from the "everyday", "run-of the-mill" Extra's, Cap, Yaks, etc. And to top this off, I have an assembled set of Great Planes large scale floats already built and ready to install. And one last item, you guys don't think I'm going to build this without a smoke system do ya ? . Seeya then, MM
Old 06-25-2008, 04:27 PM
flyhighrc

I have finished my giant scale Corby, and boy is it great. The very first flight went perfect. I have several flights on it now and have had no problems. This plane flies great with the saito 180. The arf kit is great. The only thing I did not like was the Y pushrod going to the elevators. I installed it and found more play than I liked in the controls. I removed that pushrod and mounted double nyrods that were joined together at the servo end. This worked out great. Some day when I learn how, I want to place a video on youtube. This by far is the best plane I have ever had, out of alot of planes.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:31 AM
MormonMike

FlyHighRc, I'll tell you a little secret. We both know these Corby's are a winner for flying performance plus construction. But if your like me, hardly anyone will pay any attention to this plane. The little .60 size one that was out a while back just did'nt seem to generate any intrest either. No revues, short threads here at RCU, etc. Yet I've never seen an ARF like this become such a conversation piece at the flying site. This one works even better with floats and there are some posted photos of such here in RCU on another thread somewheres. Let's just enjoy this one. Out of thirty-five other RC planes I have operational, I really look forward to flying this one after I rotate all the others for their turn to fly. And now a giant scale one with a FOX 3.2 with smoke really get's me excited !!. Can't wait to get started !. Seeya around, MM
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 PM
Shubova

Hi,
Don't know if you read my other post but I'm looking for one of the small ones, yellow. So if you know anyone that has one for sale let me know?
I agree I was very surprised it had so little attention. I loved mine, it had an OS 61 in it and it flow nice. I had a chance to by one for $85 when Hobby People (Global…Sportsman Aviation) was closing them out. But mine was doing okay until got stupid and wrecked it. I’ve since moved on to an Extra 300 and a 260 but I still miss my Corby.
The only thing I would consider doing is to take the dihedral out of the wing to see if I could get more aerobatics out of it. I could never do a descent knife edge. One of the clubs best pilots could do it but it wasn’t easy.
Well anyway good thought…let’s keep this thread going.
Shubova
[8D]
Old 06-27-2008, 07:56 AM
MormonMike

Shubova, I'll bet there's enough spare parts at Hobby People to make an entire plane. Have you considered that route ?. I have'nt found any out there for sale and this may be your only option. I'm thinking about doing it. Lemme' know what your going to do. MM PS, Upland,........... I sure miss home.... sigh[]
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Shubova

Yes I thought about that but it comes to about $220 and they are not showing they have a canopy, wheels or wheel pants.
I found a guy that wanted to sell me an extra one he had but he wants $200 plus shipping.
Both ways are a little steap when you consider 3 months ago I could have bought one for $85.00
I also have 5 planes lined up to build so even though I really want one I wouldn't get around to building for a while.
I'll just keep looking for a deal.
Yes I really like Upland too. Hoping to move back there some day. Currentlly I'm living in Covina ( Hot Rod heaven).
Thanks for the input.
Shubova
[8D]
Old 06-29-2008, 01:33 AM
Shubova

For those who don't know what the smaller version of the Corby looks like here is a picture. A very nice plane...it thought me a lot and it was really fun to fly.
A funny thing happened to me one Sunday while I was flying the Corby. I used a ball link on the throttle and it came loose. I had just taken off and the throttle stuck in the full open position...so I had to fly it back and forth at full speed for about 22 minutes. Wow what a rush. [sm=bananahead.gif]
Shubova
[8D]

PS: Never use a ball link on the throttle! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29291.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	980540  
Old 06-29-2008, 01:38 AM
Shubova

Oh, didn't finsh the story...the plane finally ran out of gas and I floater her right in dead stick, with no problems.
[8D]
Old 06-30-2008, 08:14 PM
MormonMike

Well, $200 bucks is a little steep, Give it somemore thought, there's not many options. I wish the heck I would have known about the $85.00 clearance, I sure would have bought a spare. This giant Starlet is quite a challange to install a 3.2 FOX gasser but........ We'll see !. West Covina, Cucamonga, Azusa, San Dimas, Glendora..........sigh. MM

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.