Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Fiberglass finishing

Old 04-17-2002, 05:36 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Fiberglass finishing

Just a tip to save you some work. When you put the fiberglass cloth over the center section of a wing do the following. After the fiberglass and resin (assume you are using epoxy for this) get a large piece of Saran Wrap (like the wife uses in the kitchen) and cover the area just fiberglassed. Smooth it out with you hands making sure there are no wrinkles. Now let it set up. After the cure is complete, remove the Saran Wrap and you will find a glass smooth surface that requires no sanding.
Old 04-21-2002, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another tip... or two

Put masking tape on the wing, on ether side of the fiberglass tape. Leave a very small gap between the glass and tape. When you smooth out the epoxy/resin using the above tip, it will not go all over the wing. Remove the tape before the epoxy sets. Once set, mix about 50/50 water/Red Devil lite weight patch, and paint on the joint where the glass meets the wing. Sand smooth when dry. Smooth as a baby's behind. A few guys at the field have asked my why I don't glass my center sections

I use masking tape all over for stuff like this. For example when gluing on the tail, I mask the joints. Clean the epoxy that ooses out, and then remove the tape. No epoxy spills on your new finish.
Old 04-22-2002, 05:19 PM

Good tips, guys!

Something I usually do to minimize weight is squeegee the resin as far as I can make it go, then use lightweight filler to fill the weave and make it all smooth... but I'm not sure its worth the extra work in most cases. The quicker route to a glass-like finish in the previous posts may be a better way to go!
Old 04-23-2002, 05:57 PM
Banned
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default f/glassing

from the experience I have and talking to afriend who is an old pro at it the strength is not in the resin but in the cloth.

By not sanding away excess resin you are adding weight.

I always knock back the resin with 60grit first coat then apply 2nd coat to fill the weave

use 60 then 80 and finish with 120 grit

comes out smooth, strong and very light

bit of effort but worth it if you want strength but little weight penalty

btw thin the resin with alkyhole!
Old 04-24-2002, 07:12 AM

the strength is not in the resin but in the cloth.

By not sanding away excess resin you are adding weight.
Actually that was my point... by squeegeeing the resin out, there is no excess to sand away... there's enough there to get the strength benefit of the cloth and no extra, so the lightest filling you can use leaves the whole thing about as strong as if you'd filed the cloth with another coat of resin... but with very easy finish sanding and less added weight than if more resin had been used.