Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Laser cutting

Old 03-20-2002, 03:24 AM
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laser cutting

Anybody know a company that does laser cutting that does not cost a arm and a leg?.
Old 03-20-2002, 03:08 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lottsa Experience....

There are numerous firms now that do laser cutting for model A/C kits. The best firm is one in which is within driving distance of you, as then problems can be ironed out. Each firm is a bit different as to parameters. Certain ones can only cut parts up to 20 inchs by 12 inches. Most cannot cut thicker than 1/8 lite ply or 1/4 inch balsa. Initial thing is that you need compatible drawing files of the work to be done. I use ones which have 100 watt lasers that cut 1/4 birch plywood, fro a size of 24 inch by 48 inch sheet.

This subject has been beat up several times here at RC U and other places. You need to tune in to previous discussions for a listing a parameters. Just stating you have a kit, means nothing unless all the criteria is known. At present, the going rate for cutting seems to be in the $25 to $60 per hour range depending upon the noted factors.

Wm.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:06 PM
My Feedback: (45)

Default Laser cutting

I use FunAero for doing my laser cutting.... The last kit I had them cut was a Menace that I did the autocad work for... $10 setup and $9 per kit... mind you there are only 6 ribs, 8 sub ribs and 2 engine mounts with some odds and ends....

I also bought a wasp parts kit from them for somewhere around $50..

Very reasonable... The key is in learning autocad to do your own layouts.
Old 04-12-2002, 09:37 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Default Good

So far I can....... second that

Don't use him though then he woun't have time for my next project .

Thanks JR

The key is in learning autocad to do your own layouts.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:22 PM
MiL

Default Laser cutting

on the FunAero site it says:

"LASER cutting labor charge from your files or our files........$0.60 per minute*

(*We have a minimum charge of $36.00 for any part of the first hour prorated charge for each additional part of an hour after the first hour)"

Doesn't that mean that the minimum cost for any cutting is $36? Maybe i don't understand it.
Old 04-13-2002, 09:36 PM
My Feedback: (30)

Default laser cutting

I use a this company http://www.lazer-works.com/ he cut me a shortkit for a Ziroli B25 for $125 delivered.He already had the vectored parts

Bill
Old 04-18-2002, 04:16 PM

Default AK Models for Laser-Cut

Please stop by to see what AK Models offer:
http://ak-models.com/

Best Price on the Net.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:06 PM
MiL

Default Laser cutting

Are these AK models the ones that i see all the time on ebay?

I have been unsure about the quality of these kits judging only from the info on ebay, they almost looked like a cheap product aimed at newbees who wouldn't know any better.

Then again, i did not look at them very closely, they may well be a quality product... i'll check out that webpage.
Old 04-18-2002, 05:21 PM
MiL

Default Laser cutting

Wow, it didnt take long looking at that site to see that i was definitely wrong. They appear to be making a very high quality product there. The shot's of the construction phases are very impressive.

I'm not sure what lead me to the initial idea that they may have been sub-par, but i don't think that is the case at all. In fact, the SU-26 kits look particularly nice... i've always liked the Sukhoi i may have to order one if i ever get some extra funds again.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:32 PM

Default Laser cutting

AK Models offering unique and only the best quality kits, and we stand behind it!
Old 04-18-2002, 09:57 PM
MiL

Default Laser cutting

what are the differences between the Su-26 and 26MX? It says the laser cut wook is available for the MX and that plans are available. Does that mean that it's not a "real" kit, with instruction manual, cowling, canopy, etc..?

Are either of them good for 3D type flying? The MX appears to have pretty large control surfaces.

Oh yeah, and what size motor for the MX? .60 2-stroke or .91 4-stroke i would guess.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:57 PM

Default Laser cutting

Hi MiL,
E-Mail me direct at [email protected]
Thank you.
Old 04-22-2002, 01:07 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Default Laser cutting

I just ordered a couple rib sets from Alexandre at AK Models.
I can tell you guys this much. If his promptness to answering emails is any indication of his service, then I will be getting quite a bargain. All emails answered in very short order. Very good price for the cuts. Good shipping rates (this is where a few get ya, but AKM has very fair ship rates).

I will keep you all posted on the quality of the cuts.
If they are like i think they will be, then AKM is fixin to get alot of attention.

Later
Old 04-24-2002, 04:22 PM

Default Laser cutting

AK Models = The best service I have ever had in the hobby.

I email Alexander a CAd File on Saturday. He quotes the price within a couple hours via email. I order two sets Sunday morning via email. Monday morning i drop him an email asking him to let me know what date he will be cutting the parts(so I will know about what the shipping date will be so i can make arrangements)

In 30 minutes he has emailed me back, The parts have already shipped out Monday morning. WOW!!! Now thats turnaround service.

Guess what? got the parts in the mail today. WED.. He uses Priority Mail. And charges a very fair shipping price to boot. I think the shipping actually cost more than he charged me.

All fine and good you say " But what about the quality?"

Well my friends, "NOBODY" can exceed the quality of these laser cut parts. They are perfection!! NUMERO UNO!!!

I am in no way affiliated with AK Models, I'm not even sure i have his first name( Alexander? ) right. But I know one thing. He has my laser services when i need them again.

Check him out. Quality cuts, well packaged, prompt service, email friendly and quick responses. Cant go wrong here.

If this sounded like a commercial I'm sorry, but i am one happy dude with these laser parts.

Later
GW
Old 04-24-2002, 04:25 PM

Default Laser cutting

GW3D - What plane are you're ribs for?
Old 04-24-2002, 04:32 PM
MiL

Default Laser cutting

GW3D, are you Gary Wright? Just out of curiosity... i know he (you?) has designed some pretty cool electric planes and is a heckuva pilot too. Heard quite a bit from him on the rcgroups boards but i havent been there for a long time, mostly an electric crowd there.
Old 04-24-2002, 06:06 PM

Default Laser cutting

Paul,
Its the menace files with several mods as to rib length,spar locations, lightening holes( which i left off the drawings (DOH)!!, scale down(minus?), different widths on ribs and subs. Between that great file(Paul does execellent cads), a few mods to make it to my liking(a little stongter). and Alexanders laser sevice, I will have a modified Menace, just like i want. Thanks to all.

Paul it looks like the measurment from the TE of the Wing and the Leading Point of the Stab at 17" is going to get me tail heavy. Did you run into this, or do i just need to continue on with that measurment? 17" seems like a lot, but if it works thats cool. I will stop where i am at and let you get back to me.

GW3D is Gary Wright wannabe. Just kidding. he is one great guy, but not me . Gary has one awesome plane in the E3D. Way cool on an electric. He know how to build light.

Later guys, and give alexander a chance on your laser needs. He is good to deal with.

GW
Old 04-24-2002, 06:14 PM

Default Laser cutting

I didn't have to add any balast and was able to mount the RX and battery at the spar line per the plans. 17" is the right dimension from the te of the wing to the le of the stab... But remember, the le of the stab is mounted at the hinge line of the rudder... This thing has a whale of a verticle stab... You really need the plans... I can still mail you a set if you like. I can also take more pictures of my Menace.