Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Looking for a cad guy for hire

Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Looking for a cad guy for hire

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 12:42 PM
stealth assassin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a cad guy for hire

I need someone to draw a model with framing for a lazer cut wood kit of a boat plug at 44" that I designed and built. Preferably someone In or close to Jackson, MS

Let me know,
Derrick
[email protected]
Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM
stealth assassin

Default RE: Looking for a cad guy for hire

Here Is basically what I need my end result to be from you,

I have the model/plug allready skinned and built except for a couple details.
Old 02-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Mike Emilio

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a boat??
Old 02-16-2009, 08:48 PM
stealth assassin

I will need someone pretty soon. Anybody out there that can give me a quote and get this thing done?

Thanks,
Derrick
[email protected]
Old 04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
stealth assassin

Why do I have such a hard time finding a cad guy??? They keep giving up on me... I guess I will just have to go back to school! [:'(]
Old 04-13-2009, 06:54 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

They have bailed on you because the bid was unrealistically low. Once they thought about it, no one could do it for that (four hours @$30/hr).
CAD work is time consuming, particularly when starting without good data.
Old 04-14-2009, 06:05 AM
stealth assassin

That guy was fast and got 90% of the drawing complete.

Also, $600+ Is stout for this simple of a drawing. No offense, I am just not Interested In paying that just for transfering my drawings to a file.
D
Old 04-14-2009, 03:12 PM
allanflowers

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

You had told me that - 'all you had was the plug/actual boat to measure from...... need this baby drawn from scratch'.

That's a whole lot more than transfering a drawing to a file. There would be a lot of measuring, then creating cad surface, then making and intersecting the structure planes, then laying them out for laser cutting.

Why do people always want something done for nothing? And why do they always get surprised when the guy with the super cheap bid doesn't come through?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:29 PM
stealth assassin

You had told me that - 'all you had was the plug/actual boat to measure from...... need this baby drawn from scratch'.

I forgot... I made the drawings right after talking to you.
Why do people always want something done for nothing? And why do they always get surprised when the guy with the super cheap bid doesn't come through?

Alan, I complain about that all the time. I am a trim carpenter/tile setter... The cad guy was good and fast but, he Is having personal problems that kept him from finishing. The other guy just had more Important work come up. The first cad guy I ever used got over on me for $1,500 and I got a .jpg He was not the cheapest

Alan, I would like to talk to you on the phone. Things are clearer that way, I will PM you my number. Please give me a ring this evening If you can

Derrick
Old 04-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Props4ever

ORIGINAL: Mike Emilio

Looks like a boat??
Looks like nice fast speedo type power boat it is. I was going to mention about Mike but he was already here...

I would love to see that speedo speeding/racing down the river when completed...
Old 04-15-2009, 09:18 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

I have done model boat plans before in CAD for laser cutting also, and it seems the customer is never satisfyed. They are mainly of thin plywood and lite ply. Trim this or modify that. It don't go fast enough. I got it going much faster back when before you got a hold of it. Now, why can't we go that fast anymore?

Wm.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:52 PM
stealth assassin

My drawings are correct. The parts are measured out for the radius curves, as much detail as I could Imagine. I know I built It allready.

Coosbay,
Boat guy being more difficult than plane guys??? Hahaha.........

I have detailed drawings and pics from every angle of a plug form build.

Alan,
Call me. I have 90 to 95% of the drawing In cad done. I need to get these to the cutter asap.

D
Old 04-15-2009, 07:38 PM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Yep, more difficult.

The boat guys tend to think a revision is rather simple and comonplace. Ought not to take more than a couple of seconds or a whole one minute. You know.

The airplane guys know that something of a prototype nature will be a problem and tend to work out everything long before handing it off to get a plan made up. They do not consider the plan to be a working document, or some "work in Progress" they consider it to be hard, ironed out, and final.

Contrairy Boat folks tend to think a couple more corrections ought not to involve ANY time.

Oh, did I tell you, that Part Number xx is all wrong. I made a mistake and we need to go back to the original, and.....

Wm.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
stealth assassin

So, you are stereotyping boat guys vs. plane guys? OK. Whatever... I never knew trying to get plans drawn to a file would be so difficult.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:16 PM
Mtntop

Wow! Everybodies in a huff!

First off the true Cad guys are worth every penny. Its like anything else, you get what you pay for.

I knew I could never afford to pay a cad guy for the work I needed so I taught myself to use Rhino. Not everything, I just learned how to do what I needed to do to get done what I wanted.(Clear as mud?) My project was WAY more complicated than what you have there.

I see the pic and I count @ 11 distinct piecs/shapes that could be mirrored/copied to design all the final pieces I see. (I'm sure I'm missing some so don't jump my....) Doesn't seem to hard to me even as a learning tool to get started in cad.

Now maybe I'm missing the true intention here. Are you just needing your parts which you have already fitted and know they work and that you have drawings for drawn up in a cad to saved in a cad file? Or do you need someone who can do this THEN produce a tool path file for you to use in a laser cutter?

Dave, Who knows just enough to get into trouble but not enough to know the difference!
Old 04-21-2009, 05:25 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Stealth,

We spoke some time back but I never heard back from you. I'm still available to have a look at what you need done if you're interested.

Chad Veich
Old 04-22-2009, 05:55 PM
stealth assassin

Chad you have a P.M. With my #
Old 05-12-2009, 07:04 PM
stealth assassin

Wow... Another cad guy down! I can't believe It! It's not the money or lack of details on my hand drawings. The cad guys are falling out of work but, still can't finish a paying yet simple job...

Crazy!... I just do not get It?...[]

D
Old 05-12-2009, 07:06 PM
stealth assassin

Chad I never heard from you... I am desperate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.............
Old 05-12-2009, 07:55 PM
Chad Veich
My Feedback: (60)

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have sent you a PM with my phone number stealth. Give me a call to discuss what you need done.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:10 AM
SydDythers
My Feedback: (5)

Stealth,

I might be able to help you out and even provide an assembled 3D representation in a standard file using Solidworks. What exactly is it that you need to be done? Check out my "Rollin' my own 50CC Yak" if need some example of my work (hint it gets better throughout the thread). I've scratch designed/had laser cut/built a few designs. PM me if you still need some help.

J
Old 06-30-2009, 08:57 AM
dolanosa

Stealth AssassinSeems that you don't need any 3D work. From the original post, you just needed 2D CAD files to laser cut. In that case, I don't understand why it's so difficult about it? ...or am I completely missing the point? This should not be difficult at all if the prelim. drawing is complete with all the dimensions. Or did you want a 3D model that can be used to make a mold? What I mean is a 3D surface so you can put it on a CNC machine to shape out the master so you can make a mold. This will require different skills altogether. I used to do CAD/CAM as a mold maker in Michigan and received 2D files from clients all the time. Making 3D parts and a mold (plastic injection) is so different from the original parts since there are many more variables required such as plastic shrinkage, where the injectors will be, vents, coolant lines, etc. Then, when I started doing this as my own business, you have to have post-processors for each type of controller, Fanuc, Bridgeport, etc. Then the test run to make sure that the machine doesn't crash, cutting out the prototype, you get the drift.So basically, did you want 2D drawings of the parts or 3D surface drawings. And did you want them with tool paths for the laser and/or router? What is the timeframe to get this done? How much time do you think it will take for a competent CAD guy to finish this? (how long do you think you can finish the CAD drawing?) Have you looked at the commercial CAD guys out there? I know they're expensive but that's their job so they do that all day and are very good but every change you make is billed. Most of the guys who do CAD here don't do this for a living with some exceptions. I've been out of the business for a while now but I still do some CAD work now and again although the software is not as expensive (free) and they are rather antiquated (the free version of ProgeCAD 2000) but that does most of what I need. I used to work on ProEngineer, AutoCAD, CADKEY, CATIA, and EZ-CAM. THer are guys here that probably buy(?) their high-priced software but that's definitely not needed. I'm starting to get back into it since I'm building a CNC router. This will help in making some planes that's been sitting around in my head and notebooks. Let me know exactly what you need and let's see what we can do. If it's just 2D work, it should be relatively easy.