Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

Do you get your materials local? Where?

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Do you get your materials local? Where?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Gronon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you get your materials local? Where?

Iwould like to start scratch building planes with either coroplast or foam but don't know where to start.Ichecked Lowes and Home Depot online and they don't seem to carry these materials. Where do you guys get yours?

Thanks!
Brian

Old 06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
andrew66

Default RE: Do you get your materials local? Where?

Im using 1/2" foam board for my latest project, and to make wings, the Home Depot here has 3" foam sheets.  The door skins they have is a good substitution for lite ply, and They should also have birch plywood in small sizes that i use for firewalls.  For balsa and spuce sticks, I go to the LHS, but if you want lots, I would order it online.  The choroplast stuff, I havent found yet.
On my plane, for the fuse, im cutting the general shape from foam, and using fiberglass (automotive stuff cause its cheap and readily available) over top of it.  I use wood glue to hold the FG down.  So far its working pretty good, and the weight looks good too.  Once im done the build, I will post finished pics and the final weight of the airframe empty, and with gear installed.
Some times you have to think outside the box
Old 06-11-2009, 06:53 PM
batchelc
My Feedback: (7)

Gronon,
Since you live in the south (tx) you may not find foam that is very thick at home depot or lowes. You can get coroplat at sign shops and at plastic suppliers. We have an insulation supplier in town and that is where Iget the thicker foam from.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Gronon

Andrew,
Ican't wait to see how that plane looks. I've never worked with FG before but there is a first time for everything

Batchelc,
Thanks for the tip! Ididn't think of that and I'm sure there is a sign shop or 2 around here somewhere

Thanks a ton guys, you rock.

Brian