Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Can I use these plans?

Old 02-24-2010, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I use these plans?

Greetings! I am ready to try my first scratch build, and am using free plans that I got from BalsaDust. A very simple 3 ch trainer called "Pepper" designed by Dave Robelen. I spent a lot of time messing around with the drawing and print settings in MS Paint and voila, I have a full size page (agonizingly cut and taped together!), that looks great. But whats this? oops, looks like I messed around too much 'cause on the hard copy, 1 inch = 1 3/8 inches. So instead of a 22" wing, it will be a 30" wing. Other than perhaps needing a larger motor than indicated, can I build using these plans? I am concerned that I may have to scale up the dimentions of the balsa thickness, which Isuppose I could do, can anyone please advise me on this, as I hate to waste the printer ink and paper (15 pages). Here is a picture of plans I put together, I'm quite pleased that beautiful full size plans can be had for cost of printer ink. If this scratch build works out, I do believe my collection will grow very fast!

LLAP,

Colin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36981.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	1385755  
Old 02-24-2010, 07:55 AM
My Feedback: (94)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Can I use these plans?

You can fudge some of the dimension of the slots for the ribs and formers, but should work. Do yourself a favor and go here http://www.profili2.com/eng/default.htm the isiplot program is totally worth the donation. and it will "fix" all your problems.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:01 PM

looks pretty cool, I'll try it for $10. Are all those plans on the site free? wow, my wife is going to kill me!
Old 02-24-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Use the original wood sizes and it'll be fine. Likely it'll fly even better for having more wing area with only slightly more weight. Just don't crash it....
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM
My Feedback: (3)

Good choice on the Robelen plane, he designed a bunch of great ones. I second the Profili site recomendation.
Old 02-28-2010, 05:05 PM

thanks, I just downloaded it. I hope to try it out this week.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM

PUman

One thing I would check is that the top to bottom dimension is enlarge the same as the side to side dim. Laser printers don't normally have this problem. Ink jets on the other hand tend to stretch one way and shrink another. Just a thought.

To check scan a 6" paper ruler into the same file type then paste into a pagetwice. Next rotate one 90 degrees then print it. A quick check with the original will tell you if its stretching both ways the same amount.

Bryan</p>
Old 03-06-2010, 08:40 PM
My Feedback: (6)

puny human

do you have ANY version of PHOTOSHOP?

I can show you how to crank out almost any size set of plans without a whole lot of work

What you have done is something called TILING.

Most of us have a simple tabletop printer that handes 8.5" x 11" paper.

Using the BLUE lines that come out of the "RULERS" (in PS), they will give you guide lines to "CROP" with.

That's just a quick start.

marwen1
Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 AM

just take the file to work and print on the 44" plotter :-)
Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM

ORIGINAL: marwen1

puny human

do you have ANY version of PHOTOSHOP?

I can show you how to crank out almost any size set of plans without a whole lot of work

What you have done is something called TILING.

Most of us have a simple tabletop printer that handes 8.5" x 11" paper.

Using the BLUE lines that come out of the "RULERS" (in PS), they will give you guide lines to "CROP" with.

That's just a quick start.

marwen1
Thanks for all the imput everone! I have photoshop elements, but, LOL, its not that feature packed. I'll mess around with it for a bit. I actually just got the recent issue of Flying Scale Models and it came with full size plans for the Lublin. Its a great way to go for rookie builders like myself. The magazine has full colour instructions and photos, and theres a huge thread on the build by the builder. I'm putting the Pepper on hold and am going to do the Lublin when I'm finished this North Star. I still have evrey intention of tiling and printing plans in the future though. There are just too many great free plans to pass up!

Old 03-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Those plans are simple and have everything shown that is needed. youll be fine. The only thing that will be difficult is coming up with a canopy. Unless you go out and buy one