Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Scratchbuild 50cc whatever

Old 03-03-2010, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratchbuild 50cc whatever

Hi, I recently acquired a new DLE 50. Everyone at the club has a Yak/ Extra/ Cap/ Edge from some or other ARF manufacturer. I don't want to go that route, more looking at scratchbuilding something for my engine, not scale either. Do you guys have any suggestions and pointers?

TIA
Old 03-03-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Scratchbuild 50cc whatever

A stick-type plane would be a great way to scratch a plane that's easy to build and design. Just pick a good, symmetric 4-series NACA airfoil (like an 0014 or 0015) for the wing and a thinner one for the tail feathers (like a 0009). Hershey bar wing and tail would be the easiest, but tapering the tail looks better. The fuse is no bid deal, you could decide upon a basic prismatic shape, take cross-sections, offset those cross-sections inwards by like a half inch. Plywood formers with minimal stringers and 1/8 balsa sheeting will give you a good fuse.

Edit Sizing, go for around 90" wingspan, 16-18" chord, and 70" long. Shoot for 16-20#

If you're looking for a STOL style plane, go with an SD7062 or WB135/35 (both awesome airfoils) for the main wing. 0009 on the tail again. You could go up to about a 100"WS. Now you can go up to about 25# and still have an easy flying plane.

Unless you're looking for something scale...then ignore me!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi
Have a look at " Pitts M12 26% plans available soon" on this fourm
Your DLE 50cc would go nice in this plane.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

i'm going to build a crossfire. a plane designed by my uncle. a search should find the initial post about the design. a 85cc design is almost ready for the laser cutter. i believe the 1st version was a 50cc size design, although sliding the size up or downn shouldn't be a problem. i'll see if i can find the thread.
Old 03-03-2010, 08:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

here it is. the 1st attachment on post eleven shows an early version of the design.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...tm.htm#8131429
Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

A "Stand Way Back and Squint" scale of something like a Beaver or Wilga would be an amazing plane to put that BLE into. I saw a big Wilga glider tug model used at a local scale sailplane meet and to me the tug pilot seemed to be having as much or more fun than the glider guys.

Go extra big since you're not expecting it to be able to hover and go for flaps and do the landing gear with linkages and some tuned up model car shock absorbers so you can pound it on the landings without bouncing... STOL RULZ!