Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Lofting formers

Old 03-11-2010, 10:15 AM
My Feedback: (197)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lofting formers

I had a kit cut and it doesn't have enough stringers (top and bottom only). How do I loft the fuselage and floats to correct this ? Thank you for your help.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:59 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lofting formers

I would think you are talking (or complaining) to the wrong folks here. If the original plan shows like seven stringers per side of the fuselage, and you only see five on the recent parts then you need to complain to who ever made up the parts files. Not to the laser cutting guy or us.

At SAM they had another fellow who (used to be on their contest board) and back when drafted up some plans of an older and obscure model. The plans (now nearing to twenty years old) had shown the same exact count of wing spars going from upper surface to the lower one, due to it being of more strength. Being as the guy was on the Board at the time the revison was grandfathered through, and no one complained, until last week.

Is the overall count still the same?
Are the missing parts in original position or in some other location now?

If you also happen to be the original draftsman, then you already know who to contact to straighten out the "Lofting" situation. For there are a few different styles of stringer plaements, all of with can be resolved via Autocad.

You are not helping much here as to explainations, and are taking your remarks to wrong folks.

Wm.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:53 PM
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: noworknguy

I had a kit cut and it doesn't have enough stringers (top and bottom only). How do I loft the fuselage and floats to correct this ? Thank you for your help.
Can you post a pic of the parts?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The terms you're using are sort of contradictory. Lofting the formers is something that would be done at the time of the design drawings. Or are you looking to make additional formers that will fit in between the ones you have? If so then you'd need to loft those using the original drawings as a guide to the shapes.

If you just want to add more stringers to help define the shape of the fuselage and floats then make up a notching sander and after marking where the stringers will go so they form smooth and fair lines sand the notches into the existing formers and install the additional stringers. Placement of these additional stringers should be spaced fairly tightly where the curve of the fuselage is the most tightly radiused and can be opened up on the flatter areas. Spacing the additional stringers that way will allow the covering to more faithfully follow the original shape.

All this talk of stringers on a float sort of implies that this is a very lightweight built up sort of model that originated as a rubber scale design or similar.