Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Solid Foam Plane

Old 03-16-2010, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid Foam Plane

It seems that most scratch built foam planes are either build in a manner similar to balsa I.E. Ribs with thin foam covering it for wings, or they are built out of flat thin pieces. Does anyone build planes out of sold foam 3 dimensional foam? I am refering to something like the super cub. If so, how would you go about doing it?
Old 03-17-2010, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solid Foam Plane

There were airplanes 'built' of foam. I remember the 'Pete' raceplane of ~36" span by ???. Closed cell white foam was injected into female molds to make the few parts req'd to build the airplane. If I remember correctly, it was a 'kit' of top and bottom fuse halves, wing, stab/elevator and fin/rudder. A few other parts finished the kit like a aluminum strap gear and metal axle, a couple of hardwood engine mount rails, decal sheet and other little nick-nacks. Jack Devine Models uses a similar but 'different' process for his kits. There were foam target drones used at Ft.Knox at one time. They represented some Russian fighter and were molded of gray foam. They were ~80-100" long and had a prop in the nose. Don't know much about them otherwise. I use blue foam in construction of glassed parts oftentimes.

To answer your question (I am no expert)- it would be fairly expensive for the hobbyist to build molds and obtain equipment to make injection molded airplanes. Be the first on the block to do so! Tailwinds, ARUP
Old 03-17-2010, 12:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Solid Foam Plane

Cutting foam with a hot-wire system is done all the time, to get 3-dimensional airplane parts.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...9408979374071#