Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD
Reload this Page >

"Modeling with modo, Volume Two" is coming July 14th, 2010.

Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

"Modeling with modo, Volume Two" is coming July 14th, 2010.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:27 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Modeling with modo, Volume Two" is coming July 14th, 2010.

Hello, 3d modeler/modo friends,

July 14th, 2010 is the release date for "Modeling with modo, Volume Two".
I've just posted the preview page, describing what it's all about, at http:// http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/mwm_02.html

This one is a "Right brain/Left brain" DVD...
A large part of the content comes from the six-month-long one I've just finished, for a company that trains "King Air" pilots. I created images and animations for them, which will become part of an FAA-certified flight training program. These range from cockpit animations, where gages move, and the crew takes action, to systems tests, de-cing, heating and cooling, fire suppression, fuel flow, valve operation, propellers spinning at different speeds, etc..

Along with a ton of video at 30 fps, 1280 X 720, (tutorial videos all have audio) several exterior aircraft models are included on the DVD, including a detailed exterior model of the King Air B200 created for these clients. (a twin turboprop business aircraft) There's quite a bit of precision aircraft and systems-oriented modeling, including simple animation methods, and my method for assembling those individual animations into a presentation for the client. (This is key framed action center-based animation, including morph maps, and the animation of various color and visibility channels... not IK or "mech rigging".)

I used an interesting method for creating custom "paint" on the aircraft above, beginning with creating mesh shapes in modo. These dense meshes were applied to the plane using "Background constraint", and were then rendered (alone) at high-res with an orthographic camera. From there, they were imported into PhotoShop, colored, and exported as PNG files, which were then used with UV maps in various ways. It worked out great, and has become one of my favorite methods, due to it's flexibility. We could modify the paint shapes, or the colors, easily. I'll show that process.

And...
There's a large section on organic visualization work I've been doing for artists. You might be interested to see the process we used to document these organic figures for the engineers who actually plan the physical installations, since these are all large pieces. (Documentation was as important here as it was for any scale project.) More preview movies will be added during June, but the first one (modeling turbine fan blades) is already up.

For those of you who might be interested in both volumes, I've created a discount package price for the two together, which you'll find on the same page.
(Info on "Modeling with modo, Volume One" is at http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/mwm_01.html)

You can pre-order if you like, but no orders will ship until July 14th.
Hope you enjoy this one!
Old 07-14-2010, 09:43 PM
Mike James

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE:

"Modeling with modo, Volume Two" is finished on time, and shipping today!
[link=http://www.mikejamesmedia.com/mwm_02.html](Preview page here)[/link]