RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   3 inch white virgin foam source ??? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/10954592-3-inch-white-virgin-foam-source.html)

johnfly 02-11-2012 03:33 PM

3 inch white virgin foam source ???

I live in arkansas city kansas. and am looking for a source for polystyrene foam! To make wing cores. I have been told that there is a source in newton ks. but the guy couldn't remember the name of the place, so ....... I am turning to the masses to find a source for some sheets of the bead type of foam at least 2.5" thick but would prefer 3" Thank you.

jeffy 02-11-2012 05:29 PM

RE: 3 inch white virgin foam source ???

polystyrene foam
just do a google search Expanded Polystyrene Foam Sheets, 4" x 24" x 48", qty 1 and your there

johnfly 02-12-2012 11:13 AM

your idea yielded 32,400 hits alllllll over the friggin world "genius" !!!!!!!!!!!!!! and i haven't found any that will ship the large pieces. I am just looking for a local source that i can go get some. as stated !!!!!!!!I have allready been searching on the net toilet for 3 days. I got a local guy that told me there's a source of foam in newton but "polystyrene foam" isn't what these people sell ...... they use it for packing large stuff ie they have it in huge blocks and will cut it to whatever you want but he couldn't remember the name of the place.

kenh3497 02-12-2012 07:20 PM

If push comes to shove you can glue two thinner sheets together. Just make sure the glue line is in the center of the cut, so as not to mess up the cutting. You can also not glue out to the edge. Only close to where the wire will cut and there will be no issue at all.

Edwin 02-13-2012 06:07 AM

Just a shot in the dark but, look for a plastics company, I ran across one many years back that had some sheets. Also, see if there are any party companies around, the kind that do corporate, political, or civic types of parties. My wife is an artist and used to work for a company like that and she often used 2'x4'x8' styro blocks for sculptures and paper mache over them before painting. Just remembered that some boat docs use big chunks of styro and sometimes I see big pieces laying in a dock companies storage area around the lake. You might ask marina's who does their docks.
Edwin

kenh3497 02-13-2012 09:49 AM

Try some roofing companies. They use the white beaded foam on a roof to provide pitch before laying down the rubber membrane that is the sealing surface.

Ken

BMatthews 02-13-2012 11:34 AM

As you've found out you need to get away from the usual home construction material outlets.

Some years back I found a local source for virgin foam. It took a few calls around to the more commercial oriented suppliers for plastics. At first no one had it but I kept asking if they knew of a source for such foam. After a half dozen or so calls around I ended up talking to a supplier where they actually blew their own foam right on site. Of course being a manufacturer as opposed to a dealer there was a minimum order...... Two fully filled pickup trucks worth later I had my "minimum order" at home..... :D To cut down on the cost, which was around $300 as I recall, I split the order with some buddies that were having the same problems as me with cutting the hardware yard foam for cores.

It was worth it though. The virgin foam cut like a DREAM. Lovely wave and ripple free cores compared to the junk results gotten from the lumber yard stuff. The other guys liked it especially since they were using it directly as control line combat models. Just a thin plastic heat sealed film directly over the foam.

So hang in there and try out the more commercial sort of outlets. And be prepared to not gasp over the phone when they indicate what their minimum order amount is.... :D

GLMS 02-15-2012 03:31 AM

It's not 3" but may be of interest to follow to some so,

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1533245

deatonbt 02-15-2012 03:37 AM

I think that these guys are out of Arkansas. They cut custom foam wings. I have just sent tracings of the airfoils and wing dimensions to them before. The last with 40" panels for an 84" wing. They sent the panels to me by postal. They did a good job. I don't know if they will sell just foam, but it is worth a try.

http://www.eurekaaircraft.com/

Brian

Laird SS 02-15-2012 07:45 AM

Johnfly,

When making your search, did you ever consider adding your desired location to the search criteria? That should narrow the results a lot. Don't take it out on others because YOUR search didn't give you the results you wanted!!

ARUP 02-15-2012 09:05 AM

Virgin foam (?)... once a group of us were cutting cores when the hot wire snagged a cigarette butt that some lazy bozo evidently threw into 'foam making machine'! Just my luck, let me tell ya! [:@]