RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   suggestions for wood and sizes for Stikadet bash (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/11133003-suggestions-wood-sizes-stikadet-bash.html)

edjahar42 06-26-2012 03:39 PM

suggestions for wood and sizes for Stikadet bash

I've drawn a fuselage for a bash of a Sig Kadet tail empenage and a Balsa USA Stick 40 wing. I've got em so I'm going to use em.
I would like to hear from real builders (does not include myself) what size and type of wood should be used. I've drawn it with balsa side skins and plywood doublers over the wing and plywood formers and firewall. It'll be a low wing tail dragger, less than 6lbs, the wing will have an added center section making it 63" with a 48" fuselage, 32 or 46 size brushless motor with 4 or 5 cell battery. I'll also need help choosing the landing gear and tail wheel type- tied to rudder or with it's own control linkage?
Thanks,
Ed

FlyerInOKC 06-27-2012 06:54 AM

RE: suggestions for wood and sizes for Stikadet bash

If I remember correctly my Midwest Sweet Stik used 1/8" sheet balsa for the tail feathers and either 3/32" or 1/8" balsa for the skins. I would not use plywood but balsa for all the formers. All you really need plywood for is the firewall. If you still want some added strength try use light ply for the formers on each side of the wing saddle. I built a Bill Katz design civilian job and substituted light ply for his plywood formers without any fallout. It saved me a lot of weight and hard landings were not an issue. Another thing you may wish to consider if you would like to knock the sharp corners off the fuselage is to add 1/2" balsa triangle along the edge of the two fuselage sides (clipping the corners of the formers of course). Once the basic fuselage is assembled you round the corners. Carl Goldberg use to do this on some of his scale models to soften the slab side look.

Mike

edjahar42 06-27-2012 09:02 AM

Thanks for the tip Mike, I don't like square corners either, I'm going to round off the corners on the Kadet tail and make a round engine cowl, should wind up looking kind of like the TravelAir Mystery Ship of the 30's.
More help please.
Ed

Crash-RCU 06-27-2012 10:46 AM

I think I would use 3/32 for the sides, then run the top and bottom sheeting cross grain for strength. Should be plenty strong enough. I would use either 1/8 light ply or balsa for a wing doubler.

FlyerInOKC 06-27-2012 12:22 PM

I would think about using a couple of dowel rods and a piece of plywood or blocks to thread for nylon wing bolts to attach the wings instead of rubber bands the Sweet Stik and the Kadet use. Don't forget a thin plywood doubler for the trailing edge of the wing so you don't crush your trailing edge. Are you going trike or tail dragger on the gear? You can make a good argument for both and I own both. If you don't believe ask the questions and the number of opinions you will get will convince you. I see it as more of a personal choice and something you decide based on how you want to airplane to look when static or your own comfort level.

edjahar42 06-27-2012 05:24 PM

Thanks Guys, good suggestions. Anyone else want to chime in? I still need help on the landing gear.
The center wing section I'm building will have a plywood bayonet to fit into the header over the leading edge which will also support the main gear.
I'm trying to learn before I glue!
Ed

AA5BY 06-28-2012 04:06 AM

I'm not a big fan of the plywood bayonet. They break easier and are much harder to repair if they break. A single or double hardwood dowels would be my choice. Leave the forward belly pan off until after fitting the wing and drilling for the dowel to allow drilling from the front through both F1 and the leading edge of wing.

edjahar42 06-28-2012 07:43 AM

Thanks AA5BY, the dowels sound good, I could do that before I attach my center section to the two wing halves. I new I'd find a good use for the 90deg. angle attachment for my drill motor.
I'm at the point where I need to order wood, any more suggestions anyone?
Ed