RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   First time plans builder (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/11644773-first-time-plans-builder.html)

jimmy7432 02-12-2018 06:32 PM

First time plans builder

What is the best way to transfer the shape of the parts to balsa to cut them out?

All Day Dan 02-12-2018 07:58 PM

One of my friends, who is an expert builder, uses carbon paper. I cut out the paper and use spray contact cement to attach the pattern to the wood. Dan

Propworn 02-13-2018 07:44 AM

I have made a copy of the prints and just cut out and contact cemented the copies of the parts on the balsa then cut them out. Be aware prints are not always sized correctly the paper shrinks/grows with humidity and sizes can change with every copy made if the rollers are not in good shape and the machine is not calibrated. Check and compare the sizes on the prints to each other and to the given dimensions length, span height etc.

Dennis

Mms_citrus 02-13-2018 09:58 AM

+1 for cut out and spray adhesive

acerc 02-13-2018 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Propworn (Post 12405808)
I have made a copy of the prints and just cut out and contact cemented the copies of the parts on the balsa then cut them out. Be aware prints are not always sized correctly the paper shrinks/grows with humidity and sizes can change with every copy made if the rollers are not in good shape and the machine is not calibrated. Check and compare the sizes on the prints to each other and to the given dimensions length, span height etc.

Dennis

The easiest method for me is to mark 6" bi directional on the original prints somewhere. Then whilst at the copy shop, use a ruler to verify each copy.

Hydro Junkie 02-13-2018 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by acerc (Post 12405849)
The easiest method for me is to mark 6" bi directional on the original prints somewhere. Then whilst at the copy shop, use a ruler to verify each copy.

I have to agree, put a measured line somewhere on the plansheet if one isn't already there. Just be sure to let the paper stabilize in your building environment before you do anything else

Propworn 02-13-2018 03:14 PM

Even two different sheets from the same or original prints can vary. One I had one half the wing was 3/4 inch shorter and 1/4 inch smaller cord. I had to determine which one was correct then mark the other to match.

Original print I build on and use wax paper over the print to protect it from the glue.

When I cut out something from the copy and before I stick it to the wood I check it against the one on the original print. I make note if I have to cut inside, outside or right on the lines.

In all cases use the original as the master and adjust where you need to cut so the parts match the original print.

You still may have to make adjustments when you assemble the parts so test fit everything before gluing anything in place.

Watch you do not build two identical wing panels LOL you would not be the first or the last who have built two left or right hand wings.

Look, look again and trial fit and look again. Measure 3 times before you cut. Heck I know guys who have cut it three times and its still to short. LOL.

Above all else keep your sense of humor and be prepared to chuckle at yourself on occasion.

BMatthews 02-13-2018 05:00 PM

I searched on and off for a bunch of years before I found a pack of new carbon paper. I was overjoyed at it... .until I found that it was so "dry" that I had to press hard enough to get any amount of transfer that the wood ended up badly crushed. I kept it for a while and found that it is useful for plywood parts only. For balsa I've used the same method for quite a few years now of stitching a line of pin holes through the plans into the wood. Just the ends for straight lines which I cut using a ruler and about 3/16 to 1/4 apart for curved portions. It's bothersome and leaves the plans with holes but it doesn't take as long as you might think. And it's far less overall time than copying the plan and cutting out and then spraying gluing all the parts from a second set of plans.

I corrected the title for you so you don't get a bunch of cooks wondering about your "pans".... .:D

Propworn 02-13-2018 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by BMatthews (Post 12405922)
For balsa I've used the same method for quite a few years now of stitching a line of pin holes through the plans into the wood. Just the ends for straight lines which I cut using a ruler and about 3/16 to 1/4 apart for curved portions. It's bothersome and leaves the plans with holes but it doesn't take as long as you might think. And it's far less overall time than copying the plan and cutting out and then spraying gluing all the parts from a second set of plans.
.:D

Did you use a pounce tool to pinhole the plans?

acerc 02-13-2018 07:44 PM

If one was willing one could have there plans and or parts printed on vinyl, no shrinking or expanding, for a slightly higher cost of course. For protection of the plans covering them with painters plastic works extremely well, none of the adhesives we use will stick to it.

Propworn 02-14-2018 04:09 AM

I don't know but I have worked with a lot of mylars and prints and there is always a chance of some discrepancy. Copy machines and plotters can slip on the feed rollers or get out of calibration better to check with a good scale anyways

carlgrover 02-14-2018 06:26 AM

If you're going to use spray adhesive like most of us, get the 3M branded stuff and leave the cheapie knockoffs on the shelf. Spray it on pretty light and when you are done spraying, invert the can and clear the glue out of the nozzle. That will go a long way to keeping the nozzle from gumming up. There is more than enough propellant to last the entire can too. I've emptied many.

carl

BMatthews 02-14-2018 09:59 AM

No, I don't use a pounce wheel tool. Although I did have that idea a few years back. It so happened that I pulled apart an old printer to scavenge parts and there were little pinwheels in it as part of the paper handling path. I figured it would make a great tool for doing this. Turned out I was wrong and it wasn't very good at all. I was trying to punch through the paper and into the balsa directly. My homemade tracing wheel was a bit wobby. But more importantly the pressure needed to punch through the paper crushed the balsa below. So I went back to my trusty T pin...

But looking at that video makes me think that you're onto something here. If I were to trace the plan parts with that wheel on a harder backing board and then use that pad with powder to mark the balsa I'd avoid the crushing.... I'll let you know after I find one of those pounce pads and powder.

If this works it would be FAR less time consuming than the second set of plans and spray glue.

Hydro Junkie 02-14-2018 10:50 AM

Okay, Mr Matthews, here you go:
https://www.micromark.com/3-piece-Pounce-Wheel-Set

BMatthews 02-15-2018 01:11 AM

A local tool store Lee Valley has the same set of wheel tools. But it's good to compare. And I was wondering if builder's line chalk would work and it seems from the reference in the Micromark link that it will.

This might well end up being just as good as the old carbon paper ! ! ! ! Thank you to Propworn and Hydro Junkie. I'll be sure to post my results back here.

franc 02-26-2018 10:56 AM

I have often used an inkjet printer to print particularly ribs then place the printed side on the balsa and use a hot covering iron on the freshly printed paper which transfers the ink onto the wood. As mentioned above ensuring correct sizing is ultra important.

dennis 03-02-2018 03:46 PM

I have used SeeTemp for years with satisfactory results. Only caveat is to unroll it after receiving it and let it return to a flat position. The added benefit is you now have a permanent pattern. If you leave it rolled up for a few years it will be a lot of work to straighten it out so store it flat if possible.

Dennis

pcjohnson_ohio 04-09-2018 07:34 AM

I've printed parts from CAD with an inkjet printer to freezer paper, then ironed the paper to the balsa. Only problem is the freezer paper shrinks slightly when ironed.

chip_MG 07-15-2018 11:29 AM

Here is what I have been using. I use my Canon scanner printer, place the plan of the part needed then press copy. Cut out the copy stick to the balsa sheet using a glue stick. This method works great for me I have built several airplanes using it.

Skyhawk940 07-22-2018 06:43 AM

I trace the parts onto plain paper. I tape the paper to white poster board paper and cut them out. Now I have poster board templets of all my parts for later repairs or another build. Be sure to label each part for the plane and what part it is. I have templates for about a dozen planes now. I used to use a flat bed scanner and printer for the paper parts, but flat bed scanners are getting hard to find. Scanned at 300dpi and print at 300dpi and the size was perfect. I've heard that you can lay the copy, print side down on the wood and wipe with acetone and it will transfer the ink to the wood. Good luck, the rewards are great. You arrive at the field with something different and people gather and ask 'What it that?'. But be perpaired, scratch building IS EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!

Skyhawk

Propworn 07-22-2018 07:44 AM

I have a 36 inch xerox print copier inside one of my building tables. I just make copies and check the size then cut and past them to the wood

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f028224890.jpghttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...95be488d1f.jpg

alex5 07-22-2018 11:34 AM

simple trick, print part on paper,spray tack on printed face,stick paper on material,also tape corners,then brush acetone on the back side of paper...let dry and lift off.

Skyhawk940 07-23-2018 05:53 AM

Good way to keep printer in shop clean.

Skyhawk

Skyhawk940 07-23-2018 05:54 AM

If you ever build, Please keep us posted. Building is becoming a lost art.

Skyhawk

ARillos 08-16-2018 09:55 AM

I am "old school". I use to print the parts (from a PDF file) to cardstock (110g) paper, cut the templates and use them to trace over wood. Save the templates for future buildings of the same plane.