RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Fiberglass Cloth??????? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/1176501-fiberglass-cloth.html)

jkinosh 10-02-2003 12:48 PM

Fiberglass Cloth???????

I am going to be building a Profile plane from some plans, and was wondering if someone could shed some light on this. It says to sandwich a peice of 4oz Fiberglass cloth between the two layers of balsa. This part I understand, but I was wondering if I could substitute a peice of Fiberglass cloth used for Autobody work instead of the stuff from the hobby shop. I am trying to think thrifty here, and I know I can get 8 square feet of Fiberglass cloth from the parts store for about $4.00, instead of about $5.50 per square yard.

Thanks,

Jacob

jkinosh 10-02-2003 12:49 PM

RE: Fiberglass Cloth???????

Forgot the notify checkbox

Dream_Flyer 10-02-2003 02:07 PM

Hmmmmmmmmm so I take it you are Building a WASP right? As far as the Fiberglass Cloth goes the BIG tradeoff is the fact that the automotive glass is much thicker and heavier than the glass you would use from the hobby shop. I have built a WASP of that design and I would say build the fuse as built up instead of using the glass method. Now do not get me wrong the glass method is faster other than the wait time for the epoxy to dry but you will save some weight if you do it built up instead. I am running an OS .32 in mine that flies great but will just barely pull out of a hover on an APC 10-4. And with the glass fuse it came in at 3.7 pounds. I did try an Irvine .53 but would require a ton of weight in the tail to ballance it that is why I went with the .32 but if you want a vertical rocket ship lol move as much stuff aft as you can and put that .53 in the nose :)

Happy Flying

Dream_Flyer 10-02-2003 02:13 PM

Just another note. I am in San Antonio and if anyone is near by and would like to try out the little Wasp I will sell just the airframe for $40.oo It is in good shape just been flown allot. It is covered with Nelsons Lite Film very lite stuff and tuff as well. Now do not get me wrong I do like the little ship I just have too many of these balsa wonders lol.

P-51B 10-02-2003 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: Dream_Flyer-RCU

Hmmmmmmmmm so I take it you are Building a WASP right? As far as the Fiberglass Cloth goes the BIG tradeoff is the fact that the automotive glass is much thicker and heavier than the glass you would use from the hobby shop. Happy Flying

4oz cloth is 4oz cloth (it's the weight per square yard of the particular weave).

BMatthews 10-02-2003 02:53 PM

Plastics stores or boat supply outlets. They'll have it all from 2 oz and up. Well, maybe 4 oz and up if it's a boat store.

jkinosh 10-02-2003 03:13 PM

Would it be possible to use a left over section of Silk instead of the fiberglass cloth. I have some scrap silk from when my dad used to do silk screen. I know it is ectremely light and thin, And if you can squeege the ink through this I don't see why I shouldn't be able to get thinned epoxy to go through this stuff.

Thanks,

Jacob

Dream_Flyer 10-02-2003 06:53 PM

Well then I stand corrected. The automotive type places here have either the chopped glass or the heavy glass. I have not seen the lighter 2oz or 4oz. But if you can get that glass that light from a general purpose outlet I would say go for it.

Happy Flying

BMatthews 10-03-2003 02:31 AM

Would it be possible to use a left over section of Silk instead of the fiberglass cloth
I guess it all depends on what it's for and what weight of glass cloth you're replacing with the silk screen material.