RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   New Jet Design (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/180269-new-jet-design.html)

nIgHthAwK17 07-01-2002 02:45 AM

New Jet Design

1 Attachment(s)
I've just got a couple of pictures here of a design I've been working with for a little while, and I was just wondering what the public consensus would be as to whether there would be any interest, that's all... Hope y'all like it...

CG

Mike James 07-01-2002 07:32 AM

Your new design

Don't get me wrong here... I'm totally for seeing anyone's design work here. That's what this section is all about. But... I bet you'll get a lot more responses if you post this over on the "Jets" area.

Is this for ducted fan, turbine, electric, or ??? Anyway, good job!

nIgHthAwK17 07-01-2002 08:35 PM

New Jet Design

Well, I wasn't exactly sure whether or not I should put this in the Jets section, 'cuz it is scratch-built/Design type material. Anyway, with the software I'm using, I could scale the design to anything anyone would want. Right now, I've got it planned for a ducted fan/12 lb. turbine configurations. If someone was interested in an electric version, I could definitely come up with the scaling...

ProfLooney 07-01-2002 09:05 PM

looks good

Looks like a nice design to me. I always am envious of you #D Modeling guys though. I have tried it before but with noone around to help me makes it kind of difficult as I work better when shown than reading sometimes. I just wished I could extrude the vectors for my Lockheed hudson design to see how it looks. I know at one time there was some program that was supposed to create a 3D mesh from a set of 3 views but I dont remember what it is. I have autocad and corel draw that I am working with now but also have used 3d studio max and cinema 4d but more for aniomating with already made meshes

Joe

AKMac 07-02-2002 09:02 PM

New Jet Design

Nice looking design. I really can't give you any advice, most of the guys here could do better then I can at that.

ProfLooney - Take the time to learn 3D studio Max since you already have it. Once you've mastered it, it can be a flexable tool for design work. Then use autocad to reproduce the design and make your offical plans.

3D Studio Max is also what I use. It's not the greatest way of making a plane, but you can change almost anything about it with only a few steps. It's major fault is making plans to print out. That's what Auto Cad is for. Trust me, you won't regret it.

ProfLooney 07-02-2002 09:07 PM

3d max

thanks AKMAC i use corel Draw to make my plans as much easier than autocad although i use autocad for some stuff. I have tried to use max but i guess I am too old to understand the making of meshes because as i read and try to figure it out I get all confused. what I am mainly wanting to do with it is to make all my parts on the plans into 3d object or i guess the easiest way would be to say i want to make them thick so I can have a Skeleton as though my plane was just framed up so I can go around it checking for framing problems. I just wished they had some courses at the college for that here. I dont have a problem really drawing the plans just wanting to get a 3D or maybe an isometric view of the framed plane.

Joe

Mike James 07-02-2002 09:46 PM

Help with your CAD problems

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Joe,

Based largely on questions posted here and emailed to me, I'm continuously updating the CAD tutorials on my (non-commercial) web site. (below)

Among other things discussed is a method of taking 3-views and translating them into a 3D object with cross sections. You can find it at:
http://www.nextcraft.com/cad_tutorial.html

I hope this helps.

ProfLooney 07-02-2002 09:53 PM

mike

Yes Mike I have checked them out very nice work on the site. you are using carerra and I have been trying to figure out how to do your method in autocad. I like the way you use the drawings like on the one you just posted and I am trying to figure out how to do it with my vectors which started out from copying the entire factory drawing. I am first trying to figure out how to stand my vectors on end then add some thickness to them. I dont want to render them with skins so much as have a skeleton of the plane in cad. I just get so confused at understanding some of the things they mention. I just got the autocad bible the other night as an ebook and have looked at it and after reading the section twice some of it begins to make sense I just need to read it another dozen or so times and maybe I will have it down enough to try their test projects.

Joe