RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Free Extra 300 Plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/2218421-free-extra-300-plans.html)

SilverEagleBW 10-01-2004 05:02 PM

Free Extra 300 Plans

Ok,I have been watching the thread for the free plans for the Extra 300 for months now.This is getting DOWNRIGHT PITYFULL!You guys will not see those plans unless you pay for them,i feel bad for all of you.

I have been doing this airplane stuff for well over 30 years now and have scratchbuilt and designed several hundred planes.Gimmie some suggestions on what size Extra 300 you all would like and i will design one and it will be FREE and YOU WILL GET THEM!I will need someone to host a website though for the download cause my ISP isn't all that great.Any input you have,documentation or 3 views would be greatly apprectiated,,,,,,,Slade

PS,DO NOT LEAVE YOUR EMAIL on this thread,when the plans are ready i will post the link.

Stiks 10-05-2004 08:30 AM

RE: Free Extra 300 Plans

80 inch wingspan for a DA 50. Regular features like plug in wings, top hatch, servos in tail. Weight around 14lbs :D It would be nice to be able to find plans around this size. If I had autocad i'd do them myself but i don't so I can't.

I think most would be happy with anything from a 60 size up

canadagoose 10-05-2004 09:33 AM

I have a website that you can post the plans on.

SilverEagleBW 10-05-2004 11:18 AM

Cool Canada,I'm on it,Hey anyone have a cross section of the 300s at the cowl line?Thats about all i really need but i can get by without it if i have to.

Stiks,I was thinling along the same lines,80 inch span,Da 50/Moki 2.10 size

jkinosh 10-05-2004 11:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I hope this can help you

I also just looked at the manual for the Great Planes Giant Extra 300L on the GP Website, and there are a copy of the plans on the last two pages of the manual, also the first few pages have the wood diagrams for all of the parts. depending on the software that you are using, there is actually a way to convert the PDF page to a DWG or DXF, then you can just scale it so that the parts are the right size.

ie. Open the PDF with Adobe Illustrator, I use version 10.

Jacob

SilverEagleBW 10-05-2004 12:25 PM

Hey,Thanks jkinosh,i got that stuff a few days ago.I was also able to get other drawings that where a bit more detailed,If push comes to shove Bob Banka has a real nice set of drawings for the 300S,i might get those,but i am just about there already on this design.I will probably be done soon on this so this can be a building project over the winter.I am trying to keep the parts count low and make this a fast build.I will build at least four of these and power it with a Moki 2.10 on methanol.I do have those plans from Great planes,hehe.you can open them into CorelDraw,then trace them and save them in DXF,and alot of other file formats(YAY COREL!!)LOL,SHHHHH! Don't tell Great Planes,they might come looking for me,hehe.

Dago Red 10-05-2004 03:41 PM

ill 3rd the idea for the plans for a 80 inch extra 300.

Bruferrit 10-08-2004 12:45 PM

I would be intrested in a .46 Engine size, but I could always scale the larger drawings down.

[8D]

Longaly 10-08-2004 03:08 PM

I'm with Bruferrit on the .46 sized plans.

SilverEagleBW 10-08-2004 03:54 PM

Ok,I will do both sizes,i am plotting the ribs for the 80 inch right now,oh yeah,do you want a symetrical airfoil for the stabs on the 80 inch?Just gimmie a little more time here,and i will hop on the .46 version.I do have some of that one done was working on it a while back.Hardest part is plotting the ribs then i am home on both designs.BTW,You want me to post these plans before i build a few and test them?Shouldn't be a problem,should fly fine,(i hope,hehe!)

Anyone for a .60 or a .90 size?lol!

I will be done in a few weeks,Gotta work to a pay bills,YUCK!

On the cowls,do you want the outlines to make out of fiberglass or do you want a built up cowl?that can be done.
Also i am not a world expert on the different models of the Extra.On the 3 Views on Walter Extra's site there are two different canopies,one for a two place and the other for a single place,What the heck is the model number of the single place he shows?That is how i did the 80 inch version.

Stiks 10-09-2004 07:16 AM

Definately aerofoiled horizontal stab. I think it would be best to give outline for the cowl to make out of fibreglass, bit more fiddling to make but alot lighter. Also the single seat version is th 300S. I prefer the single seater over the 2 seat. It just looks better proportioned i reakon.

Bruferrit 10-11-2004 06:09 PM

I would like a built up Nose. Since I have no experience with Fiberglass moldings.

Bruce G.

Dago Red 10-11-2004 06:14 PM

the 80 inch needs a airfoil tail, otherwise it looks kinda stupid and unscale. keep up the good work, looking forward to you wrok!!!!

SilverEagleBW 10-11-2004 06:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks DagoRed,I will be done as soon as i can with these planes,hehe i can't wait to start building it.As of right now i am out of balsa wood!! OMG I'm going spastic!Having balsa withdrawl symptoms,hehe!

Anyhoots i am using airfoils on the tail surfaces,also enlarging the areas somewhat so it can do some 3D stuff.I was surprised at how close my design was when i compared it to the great planes Extra 300L.I used Walter Extra's 3 views,followed the outlines as close as possible,put my plan against Great Planes and the really isn't that much of a difference in layout.I did lower the stab somewhat,on the 3 Views it was way up there,i lowered it to eliminate some roll coupling on knife edge and to make building a bit easier.Looks pretty much that everyone has done the same with thier designs also.This puppy should fly without a hitch right from the drawing board.One thing i did do is to use slab sides to making building faster and to keep the weight down,pretty much everyone else has done the same there also.Great planes is about the only kit i have seen that follows the scale outline.The Extra's i did shoudl fall under the 10% rule though,still be legal for compitition.

This what you will have when it is framed up,:D

SilverEagleBW 10-11-2004 06:59 PM

Bruce i will include plans for the built up cowl also.........Slade

Dago Red 10-11-2004 07:15 PM

Man, that looks sweet. The build up cowl is a plus for us nonfiberglass guys. Cant wait till its done.

Stiks 10-11-2004 07:31 PM

Slade

You are doing a fantastic job. Keep up the good work. :D

SilverEagleBW 10-12-2004 02:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is some of the progress on The Extra.Right now i am spending alot of time on the wing,just making sure everything fits,i hate building a plane and find parts that don't fit!I do not have much more to do on the fuse except for the engine box and decide where i am gonna put the hatch.Definate room for the fuel tank over the CG.

Stiks 10-12-2004 07:29 AM

One thing to say " SWIIIING"

Bruferrit 10-12-2004 12:26 PM

Slade what drawing program are you using? I have ACAD 2000.

Bruce G.

SilverEagleBW 10-12-2004 03:47 PM

Bruce,I use TurboCad and CorelDraw,I am using Corel for these plans due to the fact that i can save them in alot of different formats(DXF,DWG,EPS,JPEG, etc.)When i am done i will make copies in those different formats so you can download them onto a CD,take them to a Kinkos and have them printed out.I also like corel because of it's ability to create curves,one word,EXCELLENT!!!!Works wonders on airfoils.bulkheads etc.

Bruferrit 10-12-2004 04:51 PM

All I need is a DXF or DWG, I have Access to a OCE9400 Plotter.

Bruce G.

Thanks Slade

FlyerBry 10-23-2004 05:51 PM

Slade,

I am starting to get into scratch building and love Extras. .60 size plans would be my personal preference at this point but I could always scale the final plans to meet my needs. Wouldn't it be neat if your finished plans resulted in people flying the same plane in a variety of sizes... Now if I can just finish my workshop and start working on planes again!

FlyerBry

wrongwaywayne 10-23-2004 07:41 PM

This is a great idea. I would love to get my hands on the plans when they are done!!!!

JonnyJohnston 10-23-2004 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This may cause me to receive alot of flak... If you order the AutoCAD 2005 CD... there happens to be a file you can "locate" and download to make it a full installation with NO expiration. And for the record I am a Registered Paying user of AutoCAD 2000i, AutoCAD 2005 and 3D Sudio Max 5.

Just an idea for those of you that have no access to a CAD package that will read/write dwg and or dxf files.

Jon