RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Foam for wings, where do you get it? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/2430469-foam-wings-where-do-you-get.html)

TMAC 12-13-2004 06:49 PM

Foam for wings, where do you get it?

Where do you get the foam for wings? I'm building a 40 size plane with a max airfoil thickness of just over 1.75", 10.5" chord and a span of 58". So I think I need something around 2" thick. It's pretty obvious that I don't have experience with foam core wings, so I'm open to suggestions on brands and types to use. Thanks!

FLYPUCK 12-13-2004 08:10 PM

RE: Foam for wings, where do you get it?

You may want to try Ebay. I have bought several blocks of foam there. Also, try www.foamshop.net they're not the cheapest but it's good quality virgin stuff.
To cut a 1.75" thick airfoil, you will need about a 4" thick piece of 1 or 2 pound foam.
Good Luck.
Doug

CAPtain232 12-13-2004 10:49 PM

There is a place called CELLOFOAM in south INDIANAPOLIS. I bought a bunch there not too long ago. Cost me about 17 cent per board foot...

Call information and see if they can get you the number, otherwise I have it somewhere but it will take some searching to find it. Let me know if you don't get it and I will look for it.

TMAC 12-15-2004 10:41 AM

Thanks for the info.!

joebob 12-15-2004 12:57 PM

You may want to check around with local building supply places. Around here, we have one who carries 2", 3" and 4" thick sheets. I've also seen 2" sheets at the local Lowes. another idea is to try sign shops. They use a lot of foam to make letters for business signs.

FLYINMIKE-RCU 12-20-2004 12:00 AM

Try Drew Foam. I live in Portland, Tenn. and they have a factory here where I get mine. They also have a factory somewhere in Arkansas that may be closer. They also have a web site.
Good Luck

TMAC 12-20-2004 01:14 PM

Thanks for all of the help!

Al Stein 12-20-2004 05:33 PM

For extruded foam (the denser, stronger pink, blue, green, or grey stuff) I get it in various thicknesses from concrete places. They use it for concrete molds and for insulation.

For the expanded bead foam (the white low-density stuff mostly for use with sheeting over it) I get it in various thicknesses from a lumber company (a real one, not a home improvement center).

Prices from both of these sources has been very good for me.

Tamecat 12-23-2004 09:53 PM

Try Home Depot. I bought a 4 x 8 sheet for around $15.00. That is more than enough foam to make a fleet of airplane wings (60 sized of course!). If not Home Depot, try Lowes.

hellblastervolly 01-11-2005 02:45 AM

Yes, I agree with Tamecat, Home Depot and Lowes as all of them, pink, blue, white, but you may have to try more than one store, not all of them as all the size at the same time.