RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Need help on a Douglas A20A Havoc (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/2533772-need-help-douglas-a20a-havoc.html)

OIL CAN DAN 01-12-2005 10:33 PM

Need help on a Douglas A20A Havoc

I am looking to suprise my Dad with a Model of the plane that He worked on in WWII in the Santa Monica plant of the McDonald Douglas A20A Havoc. We have been to numerous air shows and museums and found none around here. There is a real one in Texas,but I live in WA State, and I'd rather locate plans or a similar aircraft that I can modify to get close to it. Is there any "close" plans available ? I am fair with ruler and "T" square, but need dimensions and general shape. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Dan Reid

Edwin 01-13-2005 08:16 AM

RE: Need help on a Douglas A20A Havoc

Palmer Plans has an A20G at about 92" ws. Dont know anything else about it.
http://www.mag-web.com/rc-modeler/palmer/moreprod.html

Edwin

clscale-RCU 01-13-2005 12:03 PM

I have plans for a A-20G with a 54" span, you will probably have to scratch build the "A" version. The CAF had a "G" model that crashed many years ago in Texas and the Lone Star museum has an A-20 but it is a later model. I have been collecting documentation on this airplane for several years and it's hard to come by since there are so few that remain. There is one in Russia with the Red russian star but kinda hard to pictures of that one.

for 3-views and pictures of real airplanes:

www.bobsairdoc.com

Good luck,
Fred Cronenwett

Jimmy Bananas 01-14-2005 05:40 AM

Nick Zorili Jr. was building one about a year ago...get in touch with him..

Jimmy Bananas 01-14-2005 05:42 AM

Nick Ziroli Jr. was building one about a year ago...get in touch with him..

d_bodary 01-16-2005 04:50 PM

i have the palmer 92" plans they are a work of art. also american eagle was going to make a kit at one time. don't know if they are in business still it was supposed to be a 122" I ordered a framed lined drawing of a havoc A20B from the wright patterson air force base. it was framed for about 65$.00 excellent quality. Wright patterson also has a havoc on display. try there web site National Museum Of The United States Air Force. Better yet take him there they have about everything in there.

OIL CAN DAN 01-16-2005 08:25 PM

You guys have been SUPER!!! I was under the impression that the Havoc was an obscure airplane but I'm finding out that it had quite a following. These leads have been outstanding and I'll be starting the plane ASAP. I am hopeing that the "American Eagle" has a kit but I'm prepared to start my first "scratch" build if necessary. This is a plane that I have to build just out of respect for my Dad. Thanks Dan Reid

d_bodary 01-16-2005 08:53 PM

My mother's father flew one in world war two photo recon

OIL CAN DAN 01-17-2005 12:46 PM

The World gets smaller when you think that My Dad may have worked on the same plane that Her Father flew! By the way, I did check out the American Eagle and they do make kits for the A20 but they were too expensive for this carpenter. They were 650.00 for the kit. Guess I'll start the scratch version. Dan

clscale-RCU 01-18-2005 12:13 PM

Flying models (I think, plans are not labeled) released a set of plans for a Control Line scale A-20G Havoc in the early 90's. I have a copy of the plans and they span 54" and uses a pair of 25's for power. Keep this model under 5 lbs and it will be ok. To convert to RC just remove the bellcrank and build it as you would normally and install rudder and ailerons. I built an A-20 from these plans and it came out really nice.

To convert the G model to an A model put a glass nose on and remove the glass turret with a glass canopy area and a gun, otherwise all other shapes are the same I believe.

Good luck,
Fred