RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   U Can Do plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/2689399-u-can-do-plans.html)

JGspeed 02-22-2005 10:20 PM

U Can Do plans

I've been repairing a few of these lately and decided to deconstruct one that wasn't worth the effort to repair.
So far, I've done the basic fuselage formers and rib templates. Since it seems to be a popular plane, I was thinking about doing plans for anyone that wanted to build a better version of the ARF. My big problem is that most of the planes I repaired were destroyed in front of the wing mount. I'd like to have some reasonably intact formers to make sure someone building from my plans could use a replacement fuselage or wing. I'm also curious how much interest there would be for a plan set in CAD format. I'm working with Autocad 2000, but I'm a bit slow since I'm self taught. I hope to have something worth sharing in a month or two(not considering the normal intrusions of real life).

Thx,

Jeff

seanreit 02-22-2005 10:38 PM

RE: U Can Do plans

I have interest. If you do this, and provide me the drawings, I'll make a fiberglass plug and make a composite version. I love this airframe, and a fiberglass version of it would be AWESOME!!

JGspeed 02-22-2005 11:24 PM

Hey Sean,

If you like, I can send you what I've done so far. A glass fuse sounds like a good idea, but the original structure would be hard to beat with quality woods. I hope that my/our efforts will help get more people into great flying airplane.

seanreit 02-22-2005 11:29 PM

All I need is a printout of the profile of the fuse with dimensions and a several formers printed full scale that I can cut and sand formers from. I'll align them on my build table, fill the gaps with foam, sand to shape, lay it up, and make a mold. Won't take long at all. I can also make composite wings for this airplane, but I need someone to find out what airfoil, chord, etc. Same info would be required on the stabs.

SoCal GliderGuider 02-23-2005 12:05 AM

Anyone have a link to a picture of this plane?

seanreit 02-23-2005 12:07 AM

http://www.my87.com/Planes/index.htm second picture down from my site!!

JGspeed 02-23-2005 02:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm not at home right now, so I can't post what I've done so far. I've only done the fuse profile on paper and it's not complete. I started with the formers from the tail to behind the wing. I'll attach a scan of those(hopefully) to give you an idea. The scanner here only does 8.5x11 so I can't do the airfoil. When I get the chance to get home, I'll either post or link to what I've done. My final drawings will will be a lot more detailed than what you need.

astropuppy 02-24-2005 07:12 PM

I am very interested in this. Are you talking about the 60 or 40 size?

JGspeed 02-25-2005 12:46 PM

Hi Astro,
I'm working on the 60 sized but doing it in AutoCad so it can be scaled any way you like.

Jim_Purcha 02-25-2005 01:15 PM

Don't make it identical to the U-Can-Do model by Great Planes. You don't want to infringe on their copyright.

seanreit 02-25-2005 01:28 PM

He can make it identical as long as he's not selling them. Plus, he's not doing it from plans. Again, when I make the molds, I can't sell the airplane fiberglass fuse, but I can sell you a six pack of coke for $120.00 and give you one of my airplanes for free ;)

JGspeed 02-25-2005 10:01 PM

Like I said in the initial post, I started this because it's a really popular plane. In my neck of the woods there are a lot of guys who won't buy an ARF. Besides being builders, they don't wan't a plane that turns to splinters with any unexpected stress test. I haven't done any improvements on the design yet, but I'm sure I will. My first reason for doing this was to be able to rebuild crashes even if every splinter wasn't retrieved. I thought it might be nice to share with the community for those that want to DIY. I don't reallly worry about the legal implications. I believe as Ben Franklin that ideas shared for the benefit of the community are worth more than the financial interest of an individual. I hope to be back at my computer tomorrow to get some more work done.

astropuppy 02-25-2005 10:21 PM

Hey JGspeed,

Don't worry about the naysayers. Keep up the good work. It is much appreciated.

JGspeed 02-26-2005 12:15 AM

Don't worry Astro,
I'm obsessive/compulsive. Once I take a path, I don't stop until I split my head on the brick wall. I might take a few hours off to work the mall show for the local club, but I hope to get the rest of the airframe layed out Saturday.

bildo baggins 02-27-2005 10:31 AM

Good on ya for doing this. I am very interested in a .40 size.
Cheers
Bill

bildo baggins 02-27-2005 07:08 PM

Are there any good plans for a .40 size fun-fly or similar planes out there for free. Not a 3D freak myself but Funatana would be great.

JGspeed 03-04-2005 02:18 AM

For all those keeping track of this thread, I didn't get anywhere on the fuselage over the past week. I got back home to find that most of my manual drawing tools were at my parents. The only thing I could do was to work on the formers, stabilizer, and other detail items. When I got to my folks place today, I realized that I left the fuselage plans back at home. I printed the work I've done that includes dimension reference on at least one axis so they can be scaled. For those that have some CAD program, I can provide them in dxf or dwg format. To Sean, I will be interested to see what the weight difference/performance difference is between a "built-up" and foam/glass version of this plane. The ARF version is built with the lightest wood possible. Good quality contest balsa could be 30% stronger at the same weight. I don't have any experience with composites, but my dealings with glass fuse's goes back to the Hobie Hawk. It was strong and durable, but there was a serious weight penalty compared to more fragile but lighter methods. Since this plane was a high speed slope soarer, it was appropriate. I even landed inverted a few times. (no endorsement of my flying sklls, for sure) I'll hold off on posting my work until I get some feedback on what most people can use. I expect I can meet most people's needs since there are so many free dxf conversion programs out ther I'm tired nd need some sleep, I'll check in tomorrow to see what's going on.

Have a good Day/Night/ Whatever!

Henry Pel 03-04-2005 05:52 AM

Please send me a copy of those plans
I have a UCanDo .46 size curently and am very impressed

I will be following this thread with great interest

Henry Pel

bildo baggins 03-04-2005 06:55 AM

I would also like to get the plans when you get a chance.
Thanks
Bill

SilverEagleBW 03-04-2005 10:05 AM

Yep,add me to,hehe,i got to have one of every plane out there!:D

Grumpy Monkey 03-04-2005 12:56 PM

Yes,
I could use a copy to rebuild the front half on mine as well.
Thanks,
Warren

marwen1 03-05-2005 07:27 PM

hey guy

Tell me the plans you want

I can print them anysize - full - size

marwen

Jrenatomachado 03-09-2005 06:45 AM

I'm interested in those plans too.when you can please send me .
[sm=thumbup.gif]

JGspeed 03-14-2005 09:31 PM

For those keeping track of this thread and interested in the plans, I ask that you have a little faith and patience. I'm no expert in AutoCad and don't get to spend the time on it I would like. I'm working on the profile of the fuselage right now, but I'll need to take a week or so off to do some repairs/remodeling at my sisters. After that is tax time and building a test stand for the local club. When I get back and can work on it, I expect it will take a week or so to do the top view of the fuselage and the wing details. For those like Sean who want to build by other methods, I should be able to provide usefull drawings within a day or so. (time out for phone call) I'm doing this for the experience in AutoCad and to give back to the RC community, so I hope it can be accepted in the spirit it is offered.

For those that bring up the issue of copyright/intillectual property concerns, I am not providing something that the designer/manufacturer has offered as a feature of the item that a purchaser pays for. I don't think the most liberal interpretation of the law would consider me liable for loss of income or profiteering from the intellectual property of another person's efforts. If the desgner had offered/provided plans to the public as a part of the cost, I would not offer the equivalant for nothing. I only hope to provide those builders out there with a set of plans that help them build a fun plane that doesn't cost them two arm's and a leg!

SilverEagleBW 03-14-2005 10:11 PM

Keep up the good work JGspeed,i'm behind you 110% on your project!:D