RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   My first scratch build (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/5540197-my-first-scratch-build.html)

martenson 03-10-2007 12:39 PM

My first scratch build

I was helping my old father to day, and got some drawings from 1979.
They are from "Jim Messer quality model products" and it is designed by S.T.A.R.S
It's an Fokker DVIII and I think it is 1/4 scale.
This will be my first scratch build.

Any tips or so are appriciated.

Take care.

Joakim

meaden 03-10-2007 01:06 PM

RE: My first scratch build

Build a kit first. Cut out all the major parts, collect all the hardware, and decide on an engine before you start to build.

Props4ever 03-10-2007 04:47 PM

ORIGINAL: meaden

Build a kit first. Cut out all the major parts, collect all the hardware, and decide on an engine before you start to build.
I'll second that, unless you have lots of kit building, kit bashing and repairing experience!, Bi-plane are very difficult to build as out of kit box, forget about scratch building them as first scratch built model...

meaden 03-10-2007 10:38 PM

No, I didn't mean build a kit before you build something from plans.

Take your plans and create a kit. Cut out all the major parts, collect all the hardware...

martenson 03-11-2007 02:10 PM

Yes I hear you, I have several kits under my belt, just finished one just now.
So I should cut everything before I start building, and even buy engine and stuff first.
I messured the plan and the wing is 100 inch so how do I get what scale it is??
And I think it will be like 20-25 pounds when it's done, what gasoline engine do you recomend?

Thanks.

Joakim

meaden 03-11-2007 05:37 PM

I find it quicker to have every thing ready to go. Plus, you can see how it all fits (or doesn't fit) and can make adjustments as you go. I like to have the engine at the begining to make sure it will fit or if I need to make modifications to make it fit...it's handy when setting up the throttle and the plumbing while the fuselage is open too. Stoping all the time to cut a part or waiting on something you've mail ordered makes the build longer (or at least seem longer.)

My guess is it's 1/4 scale or slightly bigger.

As far as a gas engine your on your own I'm a glow guy for now.

Redwulf__34 03-11-2007 07:07 PM

Tagging in to see how this one turns out.

martenson 03-12-2007 02:52 AM

Redwulf, me to:D

Okay so I guess a 35 gas engine will work then.

Thanks.