RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/)
-   -   Shinden plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/scratch-building-aircraft-design-3d-cad-174/6356580-shinden-plans.html)

kamakazi 09-11-2007 08:34 PM

Shinden plans

Does anyone know of plans for the Japanese experimental "Shinden" that was too late for WW2. I'm only flying .40 size planes , due to advancing age im a few steps slower and dont have the energy to lug around the bigguns any more.

dennis 09-11-2007 11:38 PM

RE: Shinden plans

Col Bob Thacker did one and I think that it was presented in RCM in the 90's. At any rate check the RCM plans page to verify. Failing that it has been done as a rubber free flight and you can take those plans and enlarge to your desired size. Of course you'll have to redesign the construction of the thing
Dennis

kamakazi 09-12-2007 06:14 AM

Thanks Dennis, will check out RCM plans. Looks like I will have to revamp any plans of this plane since I've never seen any or know of any kits for it.

Sir Crashalot 09-12-2007 03:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Kamakazi
The only plans of this one I’ve ever seen, have been from Uncle Willies site. It has a 62" wing span, powered by a .61. Too large for what you want, but you might be able to scale it down to a .40. I have never ordered from Uncle Willie, but have herd some good things about him here on RCU. The bad thing is that they are e-plans. He sends you a computer file, and you have to take it some place to print out the paper plan. But the plans on his web site look nice. The Shinden page is here:
http://www.myunclewillies.com/about4.html
Good Luck
Bob J.

aerowoof 09-12-2007 05:36 PM

model builder has the plans check with bill northrup he owns the rights to them.uncle willies is selling pirated copies.last catalog I have is about 3 years old price was $20.I have scans from the magazine plans and an article done of a larger shinden that blew up the model builder plans and the changes they made to make the model more flight freindly just have not taken the time to make the changes on the 60 size plans yet.email me if you want a copy of the info .

kamakazi 09-12-2007 06:52 PM

Aero, thanks for the info, how can i contact Bill Northrup?

aerowoof 09-12-2007 06:55 PM

Bill Northrop's Plan Service 2019 Doral Court Henderson Nevada USA 89014-1075 Phone - 702-896-2162 Fax - 702-897-7775 Email - none Website - none

Sir Crashalot 09-12-2007 08:24 PM

Kamakazi
Sorry for the mislead. I didn’t know Willie was a pirate. Just trying to help out.

aerowoof
Is that true of all his plans, or just this one?
Thanks for the heads up.
Bob J.

kamakazi 09-12-2007 08:26 PM

Aero, its ok, i appreciate your effort. Thanks

aerowoof 09-12-2007 08:44 PM

did you get ahold of Bill

kamakazi 09-13-2007 06:22 AM

Aero, no i havent contacted him yet, I decided to wait till daytime to phone him, he might have already gone to bed and I didnt want to disturb him last nite. Thanks

FlyerInOKC 09-13-2007 01:48 PM

How about a post when you speak to Bill so we can all know what he has to say?

OldScaleGuy 09-13-2007 02:25 PM

I had the opportunity to watch Colonel Bob Thacker fly his Shinden years ago at Mile Square Park in Fountain Valley, CA. While it is a great subject, I remember vividly that the entire flight look like he had his hands full of a very unstable airplane. Maybe it was him, or he didn't have the "bugs" out of it yet, I don't know, but it sure scared me to watch it. He did get it back on the ground safely and I was relieved to see it land.

aerowoof 09-13-2007 02:31 PM

Like I posted earlier there are mods that were used on a l;arger size shinden that made it more flight friendly that should be incorporated in this size model.the larger one if memmory serves correctly has a 85" span.

aerowoof 09-13-2007 02:33 PM

somewhere I have a video of the fullsize doing an engine run up not sure which computer I have it stored on.

kamakazi 09-13-2007 04:12 PM

Ok guys, I tried Bill's number at 4 central time, he's probably out right now, no answer,but i will try later

kamakazi 09-13-2007 04:26 PM

Actually I was looking for a semi-scale plan. Looking at the picture of the plane it looks like it would be a hand full trying to fly it in a scale configuration. Probably a little more wing area and also enlarge the tail feathers too.

aerowoof 09-13-2007 07:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here are the original model builder plans and the update for improvements for those interested

cmarco924 09-15-2013 08:48 AM

Shinden plans

Hi All,
I just posted my plan for the Shinden. It is 2"=1'-0" scale with a 73" wingspan. Plans are on four big sheets. Plans are full size. Century Jet produces the retracts prouces the Retracts, Laser Technology produces a short kit.
Enjoy
Chris Marco
www.marcoplanes.com

scale only 4 me 09-15-2013 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cmarco924 (Post 11616260)
Hi All,
I just posted my plan for the Shinden. It is 2"=1'-0" scale with a 73" wingspan. Plans are on four big sheets. Plans are full size. Century Jet produces the retracts prouces the Retracts, Laser Technology produces a short kit.
Enjoy
Chris Marco
www.marcoplanes.com

build thread somewhere?

Walther 09-16-2013 04:16 PM

Here is where you can get them on the bay.
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/c...gBuddyBig1.gif

mrhobby

glowhead 10-29-2013 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1934399Here is Bob Thacker's Shinden. I am making it electric using a Rimfire .55 and a Phoenix 100.

gonzalobures 06-14-2022 07:23 AM

Hi guys, I know this thread is been inactive nearly a decade. I am in the process of searching for Shinden J7W1 model documents to build an RC model. I have ordered the Bob Thacker plans from AMA plan services, they received as a donation Bill Northrop collection. I also ordered a set of plans from a guy in E bay for a 73" model. Have not receive the plans yet.
I read that also an Italian gentleman called Zuffi, prepared plans and build a 80+ inch model.

Any update on the acquisition of plans or the article on RCM by Thacker will be very much appreciated.

I love unusual planes and have built various of this models and flown them. As a matter of fact have on my unusual planes collection a ME 163B turbine powered 72" model..Plans by Saitta.

Also a Horten 229 82" model by Gary Gerheart.

perttime 06-15-2022 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Outerzone has a Bob Thacker Shinden article. I'm not sure which magazine it is from.

gonzalobures 06-15-2022 10:50 AM

Thanks for your attention. Got the Bob Thacker plan and article thru AMA plan Services. All of Bill Northrop plans were donated to AMA in 2015.

Still looking to see if I can get a hold of the Massimo Zuffi (if the spelling is correct) Shinden J7W1

Once more thankk you very much.

Gonzo