Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

SCHNIDER CUP S6A

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

SCHNIDER CUP S6A

Old 09-18-2010, 11:21 PM
cpt nj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SCHNIDER CUP S6A

Hi kids, A bud of mine gave me a small GP sport style Spitfire, it's been wrecked twice and very badly damaged. He tried to repair her tons of CA I wanted to laugh but refraned and graciously accepted his gift . So after 6 months I decided strip her down or I could repair this 80 dollar airplane. Then it came to me , hey build a Schnider racer !
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 PM
hugho

Default RE: SCHNIDER CUP S6A

Don't waste your time. Suggest you try a Great Planes Super
Sportster. See attachment. Won a first at Lake Elsenor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64549.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	1503214  
Old 09-19-2010, 12:08 AM
cpt nj

Too late hugego Iv'e already started the rebuild and was trying to post pics but having some difficulties, thanks for hijacking my new post...lol . thats a nice kit bash . NJ
Old 09-19-2010, 06:29 AM
MerlinV

Go for it NJ! I started laying up the wing for the Tony Nijhuis Supermarine S6B today. Our club treasurer had the plans and loaned them to me (54" Span for a 46 or there abouts).

It was his first build and he built it quite heavy. It crashed on the maiden and was written off.

I am adding lightness where I can, and hope that it will fly better than Adrians did.

Hugho, I have not seen that model in that format. Did you tweak it?

Hugh
Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM
cpt nj

Thanks Merlin , The span on this one is 40" length 35.5" a little on the small side but low cost. Power is provided by O S .25 , I had to create a new cowel and am presently working on my foam floats . Now if I can get this G#@ D#@B computer to down load photos fast enough .
Old 09-21-2010, 05:30 PM
MerlinV

Tony Nijhuis S6B Update:

I have the wing a nats knacker away from being ready to cover. The plan would have you completely skin the wing in 1.5mm Balsa Sheet. But I have skinned only back to the main spar and am capping the ribs with strip. The trailing edge has a strip 30mm wide top and bottom. I also made the ribs from 2mm Balsa instead of the 2mm Liteply called for on the plan. Capping the ribs seems to be a fine way to ensure strength.

Instead of building the wing in two halves and then joining, I have built is as one piece. No dihedral and a constant cord lent themselves to this.
I was a bit worried that the D-Box style structure would not be stiff enough, but it seems fine.

I will not be covering the wing until I have built up the fuselage and fitted the wing.

Photos soon.

Cheers,

Hugh