Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Kadet Senior float conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Kadet Senior float conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 06:39 PM
MrBill03
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kadet Senior float conversion

Hey everyone,

Noobie here. I just recieved a pristine KadetSenior ARF as a gift. (motor (OS 61), radio gear, everything!!!)and want to put floats on it.I have decided on foam floats, my questions:Will 40in. be long enough? Can I use my existingmain gear wire and the nose wheel mount (with another wire in place of the stock one) Do Ineed to use an incidence meter to get the angle correct??I'll have more questions as the project moves along, but these are a start. Thanks!!
Old 12-15-2011, 03:15 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Kadet Senior float conversion

40" floats should work fine, altho' when I have measured and cut floats for KSrs I made 'em 42" long.

KSrs are probably the mostest bestest float plane ever. You're gonna have a lot of fun. Building one from scratch, I would suggest no dihedral and ailerons. The .60 will be comfortably overpowered.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:22 AM
JimCasey

Oh, and as a newbie, you might like to check out the FAQ section on my website.  I think you will find it helpful. 
Old 12-16-2011, 01:10 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

DAMN, I got lucky as those wing mods you mentioned are two of the three I'm doing to a Kadet Jr, the third being stretching the wing span by 6" to help carry the weight of 27" floats. I was told by a retired designer to go with barn door ailerons that are 25% of the wing chord deep so, in my build, I made the ailerons 3 bays wide at that depth. Just have to decide whether I should go with twin servos out in the wings, belcranks with a center servo or torque rods with a center servo. Any recommendations on that one?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 AM
JimCasey

Twin servos.

27" Floats?

I've never known anyone to extend the wing on a SrK, or to need to.  Clipped wings have been done. 
Foam-core floats weigh hardly more than the wheels they replace.  
Make sure your motor is tuned for a low idle, or it jut won't come down.  
Old 12-16-2011, 04:18 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

You have to remember, I'm working on a KADET JUNIOR, not the Senior. This thing is a smaller .15-.25 powered version of the Kadet MKII but only has a 48" span to begin with so it's not going to float along like the other planes of the Kadets series will. With the added weight of the floats, it's going to need all the power the little OS 25FP can dish out to get it in the air from what I'm understanding so adding another 12.5% to the wing span isn't really that much since I've only gone up to 54", less than any other plane in the Kadet series. In comparison, the MKII has a 57" span and is rated for a .25-.40, the LT-25 and Seniorita are both 63", the LT-40 is 70" and the Senior is 78". When you also look at the fact the Jr has a solid sheet constructed fuse like the MKII and LT's, it's not a lite weight for it's size either. I think I also need to make a clarification to my last post, the twin servos I was referring to are one in each wing controlling one aileron as compared to a single servo controlling both ailerons by linkage or torque tubes