Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Help with Building a GP Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Help with Building a GP Seawind

Old 08-15-2012, 04:44 AM
Cyntec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Building a GP Seawind

Hi There!

I just pulled my Great Planes Seawind out of the box and started building it (finally). I think it's one of the original versions GP came out with so I'm wondering what tweeks I should be making to the plane that will make it perform better (smoother), be more durable and sturdy than it would be if I follow the instructions in the manual to the letter. I started going through the threads to see everyones' suggestions but I just realized there are literally thousands of posts! If I go through all of them it'll be next summer before the plane is built. If anyone has any tips or advice on building the seawind please let me know.

I'm using a 2-stroke OS MAX 65AX engine and a 3-blade Master Airscrew 11x7 in. - 28x18 cm prop.

PS.In some of the posts I readpeople were saying that the Seawind CAN'T have landing gear if I intend to fly it on water. Has anyone figured out how to have the landing gear installed and still land in water? I have E-Flight electric retracts.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:33 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Help with Building a GP Seawind

Cynted:

The Seawind has a very high wing loading, even without the retracts. Which means you need to get going really fast before it will takeoff. Add retracts and the problem just gets worse. And you have to seal up the nose wheel well or the plane will fill up with water, so you can't use the retracts while you are water flying.

As far as building is concerned, the only thing that you really need to do is leave off the water rudder. It is way too sensitive at planing speeds and if you touch the rudder on the takeoff run it will water loop the airplane. You can steer reasonably well at low speeds with the air rudder if you blip the throttle so you don't need the water rudder anyway.

The take off technique is critical. The Seawind is very intolerant of the "full throttle and full up" style. It will get into an increasing porpoise until it buries its nose. See this thread for the technique that actually works.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...51/key_/tm.htm (Starting with post 1256.)

Jim
Old 08-22-2012, 04:39 PM
Cyntec

Thanks Jim! By "not using the retracts in water" do you mean I have to take them out of the plane and seal the holes or just that I shouldn't for some reason extend the landing gear in the water?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:25 PM
jrf

There is a temptation to have the plane taxi into the water on its wheels (from a boat launching ramp, for instance) and then retract them once the plane is in the water. Then reverse that sequence after landing to taxi out of the water.

I have a mental picture of the Seawind taxiing down the boat ramp and just going on and on until it is completely submerged.

You would just have to make sure the nosewheel doors are sealed up tight and make sure the wheel wells in the wing are not open to splashing water . (There will be alot of that.) You would not have to take them out of the airplane, although given the added weight, that would be a good idea.

Jim

Old 08-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Cyntec

Ha ha! No, I wouldn't taxi into the water but I may want to take off on land and land in the water (or vice versa) so I don't want to take the landing gear out if I don't have to. Given the weight do you think the 65AX engine is powerful enough? I might be adding a GoPro HD inside the cockpit too.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:47 PM
jrf

take off on land and land in the water (or vice versa)
Nope, sorry. Can't do that.

Mine used a 61 two stroke and I have flown several others with 61s. Your 65 will be more than adequate. Adding a larger engine will add more weight and require adding more nose weight also. I can not emphasize enough that you do NOT want to add any weight to the Seawind that you don't absolutely have to.

Jim
Old 08-22-2012, 05:51 PM
jrf

EDIT: I just looked at the GoPro HD. That is not a light camera. Nor is it cheap. Problems? Weight, and balance weight. The canopy is not clear so you would have to cut a hole. Doesn't sound too practical. If you have to shoot video, get one of the super light, finger size cameras and mount it on top of the canopy.

Jim
Old 08-22-2012, 05:55 PM
jrf

Oh, I forgot. While building it, DO NOT INSTALL THE "SELF BAILER TUBE". It lets water in better than it lets water out.

Jim