Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Ramp from shore to water?

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Ramp from shore to water?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:55 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ramp from shore to water?

Our seaplane fly in is held at a grassy beach that is about 8" above the water level. I was thinking about making a shallow ramp with that fake grass fabric over plywood to go from the beach to the water so that I can taxi my seamaster into and out of the water and onto the beach. I was wondering if anybody has ever tried something like this and if there are any pointers you all might have.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM
ByLoudDesign

Default RE: Ramp from shore to water?

You might want to make the ramp out of backer board, it is a concrete board use behind tub and shower enclosures. It then will not float away so you can extend it well into the water and may be used again. I would not try standing on it as that would most likely break it
Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at Florida Float Flyers, We waited for the end of the dry season, when the pond was at it lowest, then scooped out a ramp in the bank.  We can gently ease a plane into the water. 
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 AM
flybyjohn

Although digging a ramp would work well, we fly at a state park so I don't think digging will be a possibility. I was thinking of just a piece of plywood with that outdoor turf fabric stuff attatched to it. I would leave extra fabric hanging off the bank edge so that I could anchor it with a few tent stakes. With over 50% of the board out of the water, it should sink to the bottom or float below the water surface a few inches. It is shallow water so it will probably just sit on the bottom. I could attatch a piece of scrap steel to the bottom edge to keep it sunk to the bottom. I just think it would be cool to taxi into the water from the grass and then taxi back out of the water when I am done.
Old 06-06-2013, 02:34 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

here are a couple of photos of the full size making the transition from land to water, on Loch Earn in Scotland. The aircraft is a Husky.
Once in the water, the wheels are retracted into the floats before takeoff.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58331.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	642.9 KB
ID:	1889404   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79623.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	562.5 KB
ID:	1889405  
Old 06-06-2013, 04:56 PM
rc_extra230

My dad used to have a piece of plywood with carpet on top hanging off our dock, worked great.
Old 06-07-2013, 03:16 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder HOW well it will taxi on the outdoor turf ???? It's not the same as grass . ENJOY !!! RED
Old 06-10-2013, 07:14 AM
flybyjohn

It runs around on my 4" tall grass lawn really good. I would presume that the green turf fabric would be a lot less resistance. It is a twin engine seamaster and mows the grass really well.