Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Martin PBM Mariner

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Martin PBM Mariner

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 11:24 AM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Martin PBM <span class=

Rich,
The 2 styro foams are different animals. While colors don't mater I'm sure some lurker will help out but the blue foam sands better than the white stuff and you will do a lot of sanding. White I guess would work but I think the overall shapping of the fuse will be easier with the Blue foam.
We are doing the wings with the white stuff.
Sparky
Old 12-18-2003, 05:56 AM
Neo02

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Martin PBM Mariner

ORIGINAL: Baldeagle
Sparky is there a reason you use blue foam over the white foam? Thanks
While heavier, blue foam (in most hobby shops it's called "RoofMate") is easier to sand and handle. I don't know if you ever tried to sand a shape into a piece of white foam, it is almost impossible to do withouth scrapping the surface. Glassed blue foam is also good for doing molds and the like.

Regards
-Fabrizio
Old 01-21-2004, 10:07 PM
damifino

Default RE: Martin <span class=

Okay, call me lazy if you want. But, I'm wondering if anyone has made up a materials list for balsa and ply used in construction of Sparky's PBM Mariner. Would appreciate much if you would share. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:32 PM
elmshoot

Default RE: Martin PBM Mariner building update

Sparkie et al:
We have finished glassing our two PBM's Fuseladges I think I could drive a stake with these things They are huge and I really like the fact that we are building two so there is added supprise when we show up. We have 2 layers of .73 oz glass cloth on the fuse tops and 3 layers on the belly. They weigh in at a wopping 2 lbs 12 oz!!!!
The tail feathers are glassed and done.

We have cut the foam wings and am doing a lot of thinking about these. In pattern we never used a spar on our wing dihedral joints. One of the planes will be a one piece wing so I am lobbying real hard that we just sheet them and 4-6 oz glass at the wing breaks then glass over everything else. This wil save almost a pound for the elimination of the wing spar.
The other one will have removable outer wing pannels. what do you guys think?

CST has a 100yd roll of .73 oz glass for $50 it is 19"wide so you have to do the fuse in a left and right side but the price is awsome!

Also I am thinking about fitting a fixed landing gear so we can fly them in more locations. I think I will try to fly mine off the water without the water rudder at first and see about running diff thrust on seperate engine channels. I just have to figure that out on my TX.

How are the other PBM's coming along?

The other
Sparky
Old 01-30-2004, 10:40 AM
Sparkie-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Wow there has been allot of activity since I was here last. It's hard to keep up with all of the rc sites, build planes and keep the family and full time job happy.

The fuselage is made from blue foam simply because it sands better and wont soak-up the resin when the glass is applied.

Omitting the spar?. . . .I didn't build one that way so I cant say for sure about weather or not it will work. With a little extra glass at the joints I don't see why it wouldn't; it's not exactly a stunt bird. I have done a .60 size Corsair that way and fly it rather aggressively without any cracks appearing. But then again she only weighs 7 pounds and the joint don't have a 4 foot leaver trying to bust the joint.

One person has sent me a shot of his completed model. He shrunk the plans 75% and added wheels. He was not happy with my plans at all I'll cover his complaints in the next post.
Old 01-30-2004, 10:53 AM
Sparkie-RCU

Default The complaint

Mr Davis sent this message to me along with a number of other people. I'll post it incase some one else is having the same problems. Please keep in mind that this was a really big project for me and it took allot of time to put it together. mistakes were made and I'm trying to be up-front about them.

Mr. davis wrote:

Here's a picture of my PBM made from your plans with blue foam segments stacked like checkers and sanded into shape. A completed model in spite of your having no measurements on you plans. In spite of no scale markings. In spite of the wing and the fuse being different scales. In spite of no front views of the fuse and the engine bodies (this plane even calls for a rear view). In spite of no alignment lines on the very important plywood wing saddles. In spite of rear segments with incorrect alignment lines, marked top or bottom incorrectly, and without the "V" bottom contours. In spite of directions to build chines that are not shown on the plans. In spite of no detail drawings showing location of insignia, windows, doors, or hatches. (When I inquired about details, you gave me information to buy a book from Air Age or another from a bookseller. Air Age couldn't find their book and neither Borders nor Barnes and Noble could find the other.) I had reduced the plans to 75%and my model weighs 15 lbs---balanced for flight. Your larger model weighed 16 lbs.?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Om32540.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	95640  
Old 01-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Sparkie-RCU

Default The reply

Now some of the mistakes I knew about, The Wing span in the spec. sheet and the top and bottom issue on the # 34 former pattern. To me the other "mistakes" seem to be a matter of opinion.
Personaly I think his model came out looking good.

My reply to him is below:

(in spite of your having no measurements on you plans.)

The drawing was made from measurements right off of the model. I assumed that the patterns and plans would be used to take measurements from. Since you shrunk the plans, Measurments would have been a moot issue any way.

(no scale markings.)
Didn't the one in the article have them? With a little research I had a hard time deciding which one to go with.

(In spite of the wing and the fuse being different scales.)
Ok, this one is my fault. but only on the spec. sheet. The plans have a wing very close to scale. It's a little bigger so it would be fun to fly.( don't take the plane to the NATS, they will chew you up)

(In spite of no front views of the fuse and the engine bodies.)
Look on the pattern page. There are 38 front views, one for every two inches of length.

(In spite of no alignment lines on the very important plywood wing saddles.)
If you mean the wing location, as the article stated"use the wing template pattern to mark the fuselage." The wing saddles had no pattern because it is oversized on purpose. this enables you to trim it for a perfect fit.

(In spite of rear segments with incorrect alignment lines, marked top or bottom incorrectly.)
OOps! there are two out of 38 patterns that was marked incorrectly. This has been identified and I'm letting every one that contacts me know about the mistake.

(without the "V" bottom contours.)
It's hard to draw in 3D. The patterns has worked for others. I have no idea what might have happened here.

(In spite of directions to build chines that are not shown on the plans.)
Look on page #1 I called the chine's "spray strips" there is a front view and side view.

(In spite of no detail drawings showing location of insignia, windows, doors, or hatches.)
This is a complex drawing, Adding these details would have added to the confusion. most would not have used the markings that I did any way.

(Your larger model weighed 16 lbs.?)
Now you are implying that I lied! I have attached a photo of my model on a scale WITH the stand; 16.3 pounds. Even if the tanks were full it would come in at under 16 pounds.

I'm sorry if you are not happy with your model. Shrinking the plans might have contributed to some of your problems.

Thanks Sparky

Name:	Mk26127.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	95645  
Old 01-30-2004, 09:45 PM
elmshoot

Default PBM

Sparkie,
My Buddy Dennis and I have been building this plane (two of them) as a "technology demonstrator". I have quite a bit of glass on foam experience just not this type of stacked foam construction. We also had never cut white foam wing cores so we have all learned how to do that. Dennis will use electric and Li-Po batteries on his. This will be my first twin seaplane after 5 land plane twins. I have to agree the plans were not great but usable and I thank you for doing them on such a unique subject. My dad flew one with wheels, on two different occasions, Back in the days when his log book had 6 different planes flown in one month. I'm really looking forward to the first flight. This is one of the few projects that we both learned a lot on the journey as well as getting to the destination.
Sparky
Old 04-09-2004, 05:25 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Default RE: PBM

I`d be interested to hear how builders of this aircraft are coming along. I`ve finished the fuselage, but not yet glassed, and the empennage, along with balsa rudders and elevators are ready to go. Ailerons are also done, and I start the wing in a couple of days.

It`s all going together well, and the foam work is somewhat easier than I thought it would be, and more importantly, it`s taking less time than I had thought.

I reduced the plans to 80%, and used 40 mm foam sheet instead of 50 (2 inch). There don`t seem to be any of the problems mentioned above that are apparent, or maybe it`s that they have been overcome with no difficulty and seen not as problems but just minor glitches.

I think Keith Sparks, the designer, has done a good job with the plans, and is willing to help when required.

Overall I`m happy with the project so far.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:38 PM
JMcRae
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: PBM

How are all the PBMs doing? I just ordered my set of plans and hope to get them in a week or so. Have any been completed yet other than Keith's?
Old 05-11-2004, 09:25 PM
elmshoot

Default PBM Update

We took off the last 45 days preparing for Top Gun, next year we might have one down to fly at the Banquet site that overlooks an awsome lake. My building buddy has the Electric motors inhand and has one power pack that he is testing in another air plane the Computer program he is using to predict performance has been right on.
His one piece wing does not have the Spar and we load checked it the other night with 2 car batteies on it. No problems at all it. He also added wing flaps with a retractable landing light as well as incorporating nav lights. we may fly at dusk so this will be a big help and he will have power to burn. My 3 piece wing had a lot of flex with the same load.
I should be back at it soon as well. Recovering from mylittle problem from TG has kept me out of the shop. Today I tore into the plane and am planning the rebuild. Not to mention the 80 acres farm I need to catch up on as well.
Completion depends on how scale we want to go I am into making it presentable but always want to do a little more.
Sparky
Would Keith send me any updates to the design as we near completion?
Old 06-02-2004, 03:47 PM
Sparkie-RCU

The book is finnished. Check out the cover.

A New Construction book

“Building with Foam†This new book written by Keith Sparks will guide the beginner through the process of building model airplanes using foam as a building medium.
How to make your own cutting tools and patterns, to the various covering techniques are covered in this 80-page book. You will learn three different methods to make fuselages and how to apply them to your designs, as well as several methods to cut wings.
The book is filled with photos and illustrations to help guide you through the process.
It is now available through www.parkflyerplastics.com for $16.95 plus shipping.

Name:	Db83656.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	138917  
Old 06-02-2004, 04:35 PM
The PIPE

Default JOHN NICOLACI's PBM Mariner...

Dear Sparkie:

The PIPE here again...and MANY years ago (late 1970s), a New Englander by the name of JOHN NICOLACI became FAMOUS for HIS all-foam Martin PBM Mariner RC Giant...powered by two Supertigre 71 two stroke engines!

I remember seeing HIS BIG scratchbuilt Mariner flying MANY times, even equipped with model ROCKET engines for RATO style takeoffs, Eastcraft electric on-board starters to get the Supertigres running, and he OFTEN used a wheeled cradle that fitted over the bottom of the hull for LAND-based taeoff and landings...the cradle stayed WITH the model in flight!

He even flew it with a "knobby" single stick WESTPORT INTERNATIONAL radio made in Conneticut...I'm a knobby flyer MYSELF, of course...and remembering THAT magnificent GIANT Mariner sure brings back MANY great memories!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:51 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Default RE: JOHN NICOLACI's PBM Mariner...

That must have been something to see.
I'm glad I got into the hobby when I did. The programmable radios that are out now would have made me a lazy pilot. Not that I don't use the rudder mixing from time to time.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:09 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: The complaint

Looks like a great book! I just ordered a copy!
Old 06-07-2004, 01:53 AM
JMcRae
My Feedback: (1)

Hey guys

Just checking in. I've been pretty busy getting my CFI rating so I have'nt really had a chance to check the forum. So far I have built my bow cutter and bulkhead cutter (vertical bow cutter) and now I'm just waiting on the plans from MAN. BTW thanks for the e-mail Sparky, it was very informative. I have three questions. One, is pink foam Ok to use for wing cores. It's pretty dense but I've used it a couple of times for my 60" slope pylon racers plus its the only foam other than blue that I can find around here. Second, I thew away my transformer for foam cutting several years ago and I'm wondering if a HO train transformer will have enough amps to get .002 wire hot enough. And finally, is the airfoil scale? I have a plan from "Scale Aircraft Drawings" volume II which was published by MAN and I was hoping to get started on the wing while I wait for my plans. If it isn't, can someone post an airfoil so I can get started. Also, thanks for the reply JapanFlyer and good luck with the project. It looks like I'm going to have a week off pretty soon and I think I can get most of the project done if I push real hard (as in 8-10 hours a day[X(]) providing the Misses doesn't have a mile long honey-do list.

Thanks Everyone!!! Jesse
Old 07-08-2004, 08:03 PM
Semi Retired Aviator

Hey elmshoot, how are your Mariners coming along? Must be getting close to flying. We`ll need some pics!!
Old 03-17-2010, 12:14 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Time to wake up a dead post.......

I have a friend who is building a Keith Sparks PBM Mariner from his plans. Pink foam, fiberglass, etc. He asked me to take some pics with my phone and post them for all to see and comment on. I don;t know if you are able to see them or not but all the panel lines on the fuse have rivets on each side just like the real one. around 50,000 little glue dots and a few months to make all of those. He's really going all out.

1st: pic is a off angle head on, you can see he is working on making an actual ball turret for the nose instead of the one in pic 3. 2nd: the cockpit, it is detailed, not just guys in it. 3rd: looking aft from between the nacelles. 4th: more head on and lower angle...nope no wings made yet, the guy in the pic is the builder. If you have the cash this guy does scale detail work that you won't believe 5th: a shot of the inside wing spar, that slides in to connect inside the nacelle and inner wing with a bolt. 6th: the left front showing the hatch with switches and such that is made to look like a true door, but hold on with rare earth magnets. 7th: Just a shot of panel lines that are made to look weathered. 8th: Can't remember the name of these, but they are to help prevent stalls, also notice how tight the gap between the wing panel and wing saddle are. 9th: Since the wing had single rivet lines and not double like the fuse, the panels lines here will look right when the tape under the primer is removed. That idea is thanks to B-1 Bob and Butch and the hours upon hours of videos and knowledge they have been kind enough to share with the world.

I'll post some more as he progresses.

Name:	ca80739.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	582.0 KB
ID:	1399844   Click image for larger version

Name:	yw67635.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	1399845   Click image for larger version

Name:	pm34684.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	430.1 KB
ID:	1399846   Click image for larger version

Name:	ki19347.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	628.7 KB
ID:	1399847   Click image for larger version

Name:	db86142.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	1399848   Click image for larger version

Name:	ay76085.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	462.1 KB
ID:	1399849   Click image for larger version

Name:	hf98717.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	505.5 KB
ID:	1399850   Click image for larger version

Name:	us52578.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	422.5 KB
ID:	1399851  

Click image for larger version

Name:	om33242.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	1399852  
Old 03-17-2010, 12:31 AM
chistech

Just to add something here. The PBM made by the late John Nicolaci of Marion MA has been retired to a museum in Hagerstown MD. The 37 year old model will be displayed in the "John Nicolaci" room. The museum is actually part of the company that made the wings on the real PBM Mariner. John during WWII worked at the plant making the PBMs. John was one of the earliest pioneers in using foam in our hobby. There still are some old foam cutting wire bows that he made to make the PBM and other foam planes in his cellar.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Your friend might feel better knowing that the PBM is one of the best flying planes I have in my flock.
Mine slows down so well that splash and goes is the best maneuver the model does.
I've seen some videos of the design before and the guys either don't trust the plane or haven't learned to slow it down yet.
They skip like a stone rather settling in gently.

Thanks for posting the photos and bringing the thread back.
his model puts mine to shame.
Keith (Sparky) Sparks
www.parkflyerplastics.com
Old 03-17-2010, 03:35 PM
Fast Freddy

Cowboy,
Oh my God! Absolute artistry, what else is there to say! How long has the build taken up until this point? I wish I had the time for something like this but for now ARF's will have to suffice. Will be watching for the maiden. Good luck! [8D]
Old 03-20-2010, 09:24 AM
cpt nj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to cowboylifesaver for posting pictures of my mariner. Hey guys, thanks for your positive responses.
Old 03-21-2010, 02:59 PM
cpt nj

hey fast thanks alot. I got the plans July 2007 in that time I put her away for a few months,(got burnt out on all the detail. ha ha!) hopefuly she'll be flying this summer . I've never built a plane from plans before,belive it or not. any way the hours of research on the P B M have left me with a profound respect for those who crewed them and the roll they played in WW2.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey when you get more done I'll get more pictures Cpt.......................SO GET ON IT!
Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

I just want you guys to know,,that the guy building this plane is the "Master" when it comes to builds!! the detail he puts into it, is unreal. the only guy i know who can take an ARF, and makes it one of the best looking planes on the field..With this plane as a "full build" It should be a masterpiece!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.