Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Martin PBM Mariner

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Martin PBM Mariner

Old 09-22-2003, 07:43 PM
Fast Freddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Martin PBM Mariner

This is hot off the presses! Check out the Construction Article in the November issue of MAN. This is one beautiful looking bird! It looks like Keith Sparks got it right from the beginning.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:27 PM
shanksow
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Martin PBM Mariner

You can also go to the modelairplanenews.com website to view the construction photos of the model. I've already downloaded that stuff and file it away for when I want to work on such a project.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:06 PM
Sparkie-RCU
My Feedback: (10)

Thanks freaddy, The magazine got the E-mail address wrong. It's [email protected]. Pass it on if you will please.
BTW- I wish I took the time to put windows in the blue one. It flew so good I had to get it on paper. The grey one flies gust as good as the blue one. I can only compare it's handling to the Dyna flight Pt-19. Its a puppy.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Sparkie-RCU

here's a shot
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq47866.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	63213  
Old 09-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would that be Lake Benbrook?
Old 09-24-2003, 10:12 AM
Neo02

Hi Sparkie,

I saw your article in MAN an immediately went to rcstore.com and bought the plans. I hope to recieve them in a couple of weeks or so and hopefully start the construction this winter. The plane looks awesome and struck me at first sight!!!

If I'm not bothering you, I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1) where can we find the canopies and gun turrets you used in your model? Did you make them yourself or found them from another kit? I did not find any indication about that in the article.

2) I would like to fly the plane at international semi-scale contests here in Europe. Where did you find the documentation? I searched the Internet in the last days but did not find anything useful (aside from old b/w photos and badly scanned 3-views)

3) I might want to fly the model electric: do you think additional weight can be saved in the construction and -if yes- where?

Thank you very much in advance and best regards,
-Fabrizio
Old 09-30-2003, 06:50 PM
Sparkie-RCU

The E-mail is [email protected] shoot me a line and I'll give you the latest info on the bird.
The shots are at Marine Creek lake flying with the Thunder Birds.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki20264.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	64762  
Old 10-01-2003, 06:28 AM
seaplane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sparkie, AWESOME.....Seaplane
Old 10-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Scott Crownover

Sparkie,

Great flying pics... and I love the grey color scheme. My dad is a retired Naval aviator wiith lots of PBM hours and I know he will enjoy the pics. Good approach to construction. I will be ordering the plan and following this and other related threads on construction. Thanks for making this awesome design available.

Scott Crownover
Old 10-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Sparky...I'm really glad to hear that your article made it into print....now I will have to run out and buy that issue......
Old 10-12-2003, 09:07 AM
CSpierings
My Feedback: (29)

Good luck buying the plan from MAN.

I'm on my third try. Each time the invoice says PBM Mariner. So for 30 sized Fokker D7 and some sort of Farman Biplane.

Guess I'll never get to see that plan.

Chris
Old 10-17-2003, 11:36 PM
elmshoot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Plans arrived today no problem with using the internet to order plans. Now the work begins. Any Idea if there is some one cutting the wing cores. I can do the fuse foam but the wings i'm not set up to handle, maybe i will learn.
Our plans are to build 2, one electric, one with saito .50's(no don't ask I'm doin the wet version my buddy is doing the lectric stuff) maybe a 3rd one to sell to pay for all the materials we use to build ours.
Sparky
Old 10-20-2003, 03:50 AM
Neo02

Good luck buying the plan from MAN.
I'm on my third try. Each time the invoice says PBM Mariner. So for 30 sized Fokker D7 and some sort of Farman Biplane. Guess I'll never get to see that plan.
Chris
I received the plans today, no problem whatsoever! By the way, they're beautifully drawn and very accurate! I like all the details, although I will probably modify it to accept 2 outrunner electric engines and most likely a Li-Poly power source. I don't think it will be ready for next year, as I still have some projects on-going, but I definitely look forward to building it as soon as possibile! Thanks Sparky! [8D]

I can do the fuse foam but the wings i'm not set up to handle, maybe i will learn.
Cutting the wing cores is not too difficult, I'm sure somewhere on the Internet you will find appropriate instructions. I usually transfer the root and end rib patterns on two pieces of plywood, and then use a 1m long hot wire to cut the cores. Keeping the excess foam on top and bottom of the wing helps when gluing the balsa sheeting (usually 1.5 to 2 mm lightweight balsa).

Regards,
-Fabrizio
Old 10-22-2003, 04:57 PM
Patrick Underwo
My Feedback: (1)

I got my plans too. It's a BIG airplane.

Anybody want to suggest a place online to get good homemade hotwire cutter instructions?

Fun stuff.

Patrick
Old 10-23-2003, 11:40 AM
KevinSheen

Here are a few:

http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articles_foam_vac.htm

I bought a feathercut, haven't been disappointed yet.

good luck,

Kevin
Old 10-28-2003, 03:09 PM
Scott Crownover

The Charlesriver r/c link is a good source, also search the web under hot wire foam cutter for others. A simple hand held bow, strung with .020-.030 stainless steel wire (i've even used multi-strand from Ace hardware) and a 10 amp auto battery charger (you don't need variable current control) will do the job easily. The easiest to construct bows use a 4 " long wood 3 x 2 with 18'' or so of stout threaded rod angled outward to provide the wire tension when strung. Quick and easy. I made mine with a 50" length of 3/4' alum square stock, 3/4 square oak sreaders that pivot on the ends and a spring for tensioning the spreaders, but that much effort is not neccesary. Put your effort nto making good root and tip templates.

Regards,

SC
Old 10-30-2003, 02:09 PM
Patrick Underwo
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks guys, I have a 2/10/50 charger and plenty (!) of scrap wood, so I think I'll try the homebuilt route. The Charles River site had a lot of good information.

Someday, after I've moved a few thousand overstuffed moving boxes out of our new garage, I can get back to model building...

Patrick
Old 11-11-2003, 12:50 AM
elmshoot

We cut the first 20 fuse formers last night. When you build 2 of them thats a lot of cutting. We have already gone throuh a 4x8 sheet of foam.Nreed to pick up more foam. we are considering cutting our own wings were do we get white foam in Indiana?
Sparky
Old 11-18-2003, 01:22 AM
damifino

Hi Sparkie, I've purchased plans for your plane and am wondering if you or a commercial foam cutter will consider offering wings to purchase. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:24 PM
damifino

Sparky e-mailed me a lot of info about his Mariners. Thanks for your help. I'll be in touch.
Old 11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
runover1

Default RE: Martin PBM <span class=

Sparkie
Thanks for the article. Do you think this would fly off of snow? A few of us are talking about getting together and building one, Do you have any info on the canopies, nacelles and engine cowls? Great job and have a great day!
Old 11-21-2003, 04:34 PM
Sparkie-RCU

Thanks for the complements. Chuck Cunningham once wrote in his column "trophies are plastic but complements are golden" It's been years since he put that in his column but it stuck and I have found it to be true. So thanks for the gold.

I would post all the additional information I have about where to get cut wings and the other parts but they don't have a post function that I can see. Besides the information gets up-dated from time to time.
As for it being a big bird the span is 101" not the 78 inches that was in the article. I'm afraid I diden't catch that one and Im sorry for any confusion it might have caused. One poor guy blew up the plans based on the 78 inches and is now building one with a 12 foot wing span. I hope he completes the project so I can let you guys know how it worked. Hauling it around should be the only problem that I could see.

If you need more info or just want to see the form letter the address is [email protected].

Untill then, and thanks again.
Old 12-16-2003, 10:03 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Any updates on the pbm being built?
Old 12-16-2003, 05:29 PM
elmshoot

We have 2 fuselages ready to glass. I think they are about 2.5 lbs at this point.
Sparky
In Nashville, IN
Old 12-17-2003, 08:57 AM
Baldeagle
My Feedback: (7)

Sparky is there a reason you use blue foam over the white foam? Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.