Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

What electric Seaplane do you fly....Pros/cons. I need one.

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

What electric Seaplane do you fly....Pros/cons. I need one.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:43 PM
Fred420
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What electric Seaplane do you fly....Pros/cons. I need one.

I am looking for an electric seaplane to take with us in our motorhome and that I can fly while we RV. We camp at lakes, rivers and other areas with water.

What are you flying and what are your likes and dislikes about it?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:48 PM
Joshsubmec
My Feedback: (2)

Got an electrify pby catalina. Overall a good aircraft, she is smooth in the air. The landings are the trickier part because the plane likes to porpus if dropped in. Having two motors it makes buying all the parts obviously twice as much which sucks but it does make for a nice sound.
Good luck
Old 07-28-2014, 06:14 AM
Charlie P.

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I can recommend the Flyzone Tidewater with great enthusiasm. I did "upgrade" to a DuBro 32mm spinner with integral collet after talking to a few other Tidewater pilots.

There were two at a float fly that we held in April and a (brave) pilot friend let me try his. I was hooked immediately.

Taxing and take-offs are simple and I have yet to have a wing float catch. My GP Widgeon is more rugged and looks better but doesn't fly as nice. It has a high wing loading and is unforgiving. Looks great in the air or on the water, though. The Tidewater just hops up and flies light on the sticks; if you know what I mean.

This past weekend I got in 15 flights in conditions that went from calm to gusty and it handles it all in stride. Just a wonderful little seaplane. I get 8 minutes on a battery doing light sport aerobatics.

http://youtu.be/efVCh4Th96g

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1391_zps55a0530f.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	2018000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1399_zpsd1951929.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	2018001  

Last edited by Charlie P.; 07-28-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:51 PM
Ed_Moorman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris

Any Modelaero.com Polaris. The Ultra is the ARF. Takes off easily, lands easily. Flies great, fast, slow, any way. Can't tip over. One piece.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0166.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	547.9 KB
ID:	2018072  
Old 07-29-2014, 10:12 AM
mscic-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

I have the Dynam PBY. Takes off and flies great. Tip floats like to dig in on landing. I cut the front of the tip floats off at a 45 degree angle to try to stop this, but have not flown it like that yet.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:48 AM
flybyjohn
My Feedback: (2)

+1 on the Polaris. If built light, it can take off of anything and land anywhere and in any size body of water. It has got to be the best flying airplane I have ever owned. It keeps me in practice when I cannot make it to the flying field every weekend. It will fly slow or fast. If your still learning or want a gentle flyer, get the Polaris XL. It is a little slower reacting because of its size. The Polaris can be hung upside down on the ceiling and takes up very little room up there.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:47 PM
JimCasey

I love the Polaris but it's a little fragile to transport much. A Hobby King Skipper looks like a Polaris and is sturdier/faster and a convenient size. Mine went together in less than half an hour.
Other side of the coin: My Skipper came with a slightly warped wing even tho' it was exquisitely packaged, and a faulty servo. Hobby King "Customer non-service" kept me hanging for 2 weeks before they offered me $3+change credit for a replacement servo. woohoo.