Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Carbon Z Cub on floats

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Carbon Z Cub on floats

Old 08-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Carbon Z Cub on floats

Having a ball with a big ol' foamie. I give good marks to the Carbon Z Cub (84.5" wingspan). It's prone to dings and likely will need gentle handling in transport and storage - but it sure shines in the air. Gobs of power but gentle manners at low speed . . . Cublike but by no means a trainer, that is.

When you kick the spurs it will rise of the water in about four float lengths! Without using the flaps. With a lesser (and lighter) battery it is a sweetheart that flies scale Carbon Cub.

Here is a little video on maiden day when the weather broke just long enough to sneak in a few flights. The wind is at my nose standing on a dock and a hillside with trees is at my back. I was landing crosswind in 15 to 20 mph winds!

http://youtu.be/K6m81Mx-fdE

A good day at the lake all set to go (my RAV4)

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1429_zpsdbebeda6.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	2026378   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1430_zpsc3747d7c.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	2026379  
Old 08-27-2014, 07:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It does have more than enough power ! Maidened a few on land and they flew well. One has floats but they haven't got it out yet this season on the water,,,,,,,,,,,there is always the snow !
Like most Parkzone's their paint will peel off just by handling it. Clearcoating will help a bit. Testor's has a blue that is a close match Model Master 4657 and 4658.
Old 08-27-2014, 08:08 AM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ahead of you on the paint. I bought the Testors MM 4661 (Ford /GM Blue) but then I'm "color deficient" and others may not be as happy. The Gunship Gray (#4752) dries a little light.

I was working on the battery compartment and heard a crunching and one of my cats was noshing away with his molars on the upper left of the "windscreen" hatch! Good ol' Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Filler (which I use for balsa filler) and two coats of the Testor's gray with a buffing of black BriWax and it doesn't much show . . . though I did spend the $9.95 to get a replacement for the two hatches - for show events and such.

If you do dent it - boil some water in a pan and pour it over the spot, or lay a dishcloth on it and pour the water on that. The Styrofoam expands back pretty well. One of my floats came with an edge smushed in out of the box and that worked to restore it 90% or so.