Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

1/4 Scale Cub with G38 Float Mounting

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

1/4 Scale Cub with G38 Float Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Love2FlyMN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1/4 Scale Cub with G38 Float Mounting

I've spent the last hour or so searching for some answers, and between the my slow internet and not really finding what I'm looking for, I've decided to start a new thread.
I bought a used Cub a few years back that had a G38 on it. The guy said it flew great. I did a new covering job on it, and have yet to fly it. I might fly this weekend, but we'll see what the weather has to say about that.
I bought some fiberglass floats at an auction this winter and I have some questions about mounting them. The only other float plane I've had was a 40 sized Avistar, so I'm pretty new to the float flying/mounting. I remember having a heck of a time getting them mounted correctly on my avistar. Are there any tricks to getting the CG just right in relation to the step of the float? For this 1/4 scale cub, am I looking to be about 1.5" behind the step? How do you measure the float attitude in relation to the centerline of the aircraft? Eyeball? Measure? Looking for some tips/tricks and whatever input anyone has to give!
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2017, 12:17 PM
cublover
My Feedback: (47)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If ya want to give me a call.. i can help ya...775-412-7334 Rod
Old 10-11-2017, 10:28 AM
scaleCAguy

Hey guys,
I have the Hangar 9 arf 1/4 scale on floats...bought used...had a G26...it appears much weight was added to front of floats and in cowl. Hardly has enough power to get off the water when the engine is running at its best using a master airscrew 16x8. I am going to an APC 16x8 next to see what I can squeeze out of the G26.

That gets me to my question...have you flown yours yet with the G38? Did you have to add much weight to balance with it? What kind of muffler do you use and is it quiet? Last question...how is the power reserve with the G38?

Thanks and I look forward to any input on it and if anyone is using any twin gas engines in this beast...like maybe a 30cc or 40cc twin gas?
Old 10-19-2017, 03:23 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

ScaleCAguy,
I have the H9 Cub on floats also with an old Evolution 26GT. I don't have any weight in the cowl at all (I think the G26 is heavier that the Evo) and some weight in the float tips. It's been so long, I don't remember how much, but I'm sure it's less than 1 pound. I have well over 400 flights on mine and I can take off around 3/4 throttle. I am using a 17x6 APC prop and it's a great combination. All the radio components are mounted in the locations referenced in the instructions. I would look at the balance of the plane and see if you can remove any of the weight.