Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

R/C boat for plane retrieval...

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

R/C boat for plane retrieval...

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 07:38 AM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default R/C boat for plane retrieval...

Just got a 1/4 Beaver on floats. I fly turbines and warbirds, haven't done the floatplanes before, but I have beach rights on the lake right in front of my house with easy access. Pretty tough to get a boat, even an inflatable down there. Want to get an electric r/c boat incase I have a mishap. Water too cold to swim in also. Anyone have a ARF boat they recommend? special attachments to grab the plane??

Thanks, Mike
Old 12-14-2017, 03:03 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Are you right on Lake Sammamish? If so, I'd look at something that would be able to pull a rope or cable with floats on it. I know many have used this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	aqub5726.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	2247611
It's big enough to be stable, powerful enough to pull a plane in with ease and easy to handle at roughly 8 pounds and 30" long
Old 12-14-2017, 08:16 AM
DrScoles

Thanks! Didn't consider towing something to grab the plane, that makes much more sense. I figured I'd have to push it... This opens it up quite a bit. There's one on RCU for sale that goes 72mph.. might have to get that one... ;-). be fun to play with, had boats when I was a kid 40 yrs ago.... wait... I'm still a kid... LOL
Old 12-14-2017, 04:52 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry I have no recommendation for any kind of RC tug recovery set up but I do have one question, what do you do when you do that first downwind turn taxing flop over when the water is a bit rough or the wind is up and the wrong direction?

I have done over the years many floaters of a wide variety even Including one turbine powered one and if nothing else it has taught me to never ever fly without some sort of full scale recovery boat.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	turbine cadet floatfly 6.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	4.22 MB
ID:	2247665  

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 12-14-2017 at 04:56 PM.
Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I don't go boating without at least an inflatable boat of some sort. Boats can and do flip and parts don't always stay close by
Old 12-14-2017, 05:10 PM
DrScoles

I have an inflatable kayak I can use, but really would like to avoid having to use it, plus I wanted an excuse to buy an rc boat! I will be flying on a lake that is glass and no wind. No reason to fly when windy and its frequently perfect conditions in the winter. Summertime I'm flying jets.