Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Rc float plane HELP

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Rc float plane HELP

Old 12-24-2020, 01:35 AM
highwingace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rc float plane HELP

Hey guy's I've been flying for awhile now, and 90% of it is from the water/lakes most of my planes are big cubs and cessna
I've been looking more into the arf/balsa side of things lately and noticing the float plane side of things seems very very limited, I've been looking and wanting to get something like the Phoenix model decathlon 1650mm or Phoenix Stinson 46 both are attractive looking highwing planes to me and could picture them on floats, so my question is it possible to mount either one of these on floats and have a good time, my main concern is mounting.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:45 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Mounting really isn't much of an issue as long as you have access to the bottom of the fuse to add a rear mounting location

Between those two, I'd lean towards the Stinson over the Decathlon, I've had bad experiences with float plane with full symmetrical airfoils and high wingloading adding floats creates

I Built a Great Planes Decathlon back in the days,, it didn't end well,,, I added a float to a Extra 230,,, the was a fail also

good luck
Old 01-07-2021, 07:09 AM
Retiredat38

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by scale only 4 me View Post
Mounting really isn't much of an issue as long as you have access to the bottom of the fuse to add a rear mounting location

Between those two, I'd lean towards the Stinson over the Decathlon, I've had bad experiences with float plane with full symmetrical airfoils and high wingloading adding floats creates

I Built a Great Planes Decathlon back in the days,, it didn't end well,,, I added a float to a Extra 230,,, the was a fail also

good luck
I believe your issue with fully symetrical may be one simply of incidences. Determine your thrust line and set it at zero for reference. For a flat bottom wing your stab and the top of the floats should both be at zero degrees as well. The wing should be 1-2 degrees positive for a flat bottom. I suspect that for a symetrical you may need to add 1-2 degrees more for a total of 2-4 deg. Not ideal for a symetrical but............. Thrust line and floats should be at the same incidence. A positive thrust line will cause the floats to dig into the water. Not good. Ditto for negative wing incidence.

For the OP: Outer Zone plans service has a handful of float plans available for a free download. My preference would be to use either of the first two,the 33" from GS Scale Products or the 36" set from Flying Models. Both are basically Edo floats and can be easily resized to fit any model. Link: Outer Zone

Old 01-10-2021, 04:57 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by Retiredat38 View Post
I believe your issue with fully symetrical may be one simply of incidences. Determine your thrust line and set it at zero for reference. For a flat bottom wing your stab and the top of the floats should both be at zero degrees as well. The wing should be 1-2 degrees positive for a flat bottom. I suspect that for a symetrical you may need to add 1-2 degrees more for a total of 2-4 deg. Not ideal for a symetrical but............. Thrust line and floats should be at the same incidence. A positive thrust line will cause the floats to dig into the water. Not good. Ditto for negative wing incidence.

For the OP: Outer Zone plans service has a handful of float plans available for a free download. My preference would be to use either of the first two,the 33" from GS Scale Products or the 36" set from Flying Models. Both are basically Edo floats and can be easily resized to fit any model. Link: Outer Zone
LOL,, great you can analyze the incidence of planes you've never seen and that have been gone for over 20 years,,

Why new account Shawn?
Old 01-15-2021, 04:41 AM
Retiredat38

LOL,, great you can analyze the incidence of planes you've never seen and that have been gone for over 20 years,,

Why new account Shawn?
So you're saying his problem could NOT be the incidences? Explain?

And I never heard of this Shawn character. But is it so impossible for someone new to also have an understanding of aviation? Or do we have to be here for several years in order to glean the necessary knowledge?
Old 01-15-2021, 05:16 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

Retired, Shawn would be me. Apparently Scale saw enough similarities in our posting styles to think that you were me with a new account. Perhaps he could clear that up. I've never flown off of water so fact is I have nothing to contribute to this thread.
Old 01-15-2021, 07:09 AM
scale only 4 me

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Retired, Shawn would be me. Apparently Scale saw enough similarities in our posting styles to think that you were me with a new account. Perhaps he could clear that up. I've never flown off of water so fact is I have nothing to contribute to this thread.
Wouldn't be the first time you started sock accounts or gave advise you have no experience with,,,

So tell us, What are you doing in the sea plane section then??, how did you find yourself here?? Either you are the new guy, or you're stalking me, or both, all options equally creepy,,
Old 01-15-2021, 07:18 AM
Retiredat38

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie View Post
Well, I wouldn't say I have a lot of experience but I do have exposure. And it doesn't take a lot of searching on the internet to find a lot of information on setting up floats on both full size and models.

Of note, the full size Piper Cherokee has what I'd call a Semi-Symmetrical airfoil with a touch of under camber at the TE. And if flies perfectly well with floats. In fact Piper use to include the float conversion in some of its adds for the plane.

Scale and a number of others need to quit looking for ghosts.
Old 01-15-2021, 08:16 AM
scale only 4 me

Yeah, a lot of people are google geniuses,, some of us actually build and fly float planes once in a while and have threads and pictures of those planes,,,, Got a link to some of yours?

So I repeat.. why the new account, saying you just discovered this wonderful internet site,, where ya been???

See typically when new accounts like yours pop up and go right into controversial threads and get into arguments like those both you and speedie are in in the ama section,, it's because either the are guys who've been banned with new accounts or sock account guys make to troll,,, nothing new there,,

I could be wrong,, but I doubt it
Old 01-16-2021, 04:45 AM
Retiredat38

Yeah, a lot of people are google geniuses,, some of us actually build and fly float planes once in a while and have threads and pictures of those planes,,,, Got a link to some of yours?

So I repeat.. why the new account, saying you just discovered this wonderful internet site,, where ya been???

See typically when new accounts like yours pop up and go right into controversial threads and get into arguments like those both you and speedie are in in the ama section,, it's because either the are guys who've been banned with new accounts or sock account guys make to troll,,, nothing new there,,

I could be wrong,, but I doubt it
So, I try to help a guy and I get this crap in return?
I've answered all your questions in previous posts. I suggest you try reading them. Or not! You and your accusations mean nothing to me.

Bye! Bye!
Old 01-16-2021, 03:22 PM
scale only 4 me

Well,, no you didn't,, but your avoiding the question is an answer in itself,,,