Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Grumman Albatross Hu-16B

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Grumman Albatross Hu-16B

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 05:15 PM
tex1790
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grumman Albatross Hu-16B

Does anybody know anything about the Grumman Albatross Hu-16B (G&P Sales, http://www.rcairplane.net/index4.html ) I am in the Coast Guard and would like to get this kit. Does anybody know anything about it? Is it a hard kit? Tips or advice fro the engines? I really like this kit and wanna know what you know. Thanks
Old 10-13-2003, 11:40 PM
bigguyplanes
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Grumman Albatross Hu-16B

I did not like the kit! fuse halfs did not line up, door skin was used instead of aircraft ply,too small a kit for a flying boat,sat too low in water,unless dead calm, engines picked up water as chines were to small. used OS 40's with 3 bladed 9"props. Mine was one of the first kits, so product may have improved.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:35 AM
tex1790

Cool can you think of a better alternative to build this kit??? Thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:52 PM
RC Steve
My Feedback: (2)

i'm currently building a scrach built 1/6 sacle with twin bme 100cc. 10'.5" fuse and a 16' ws. if some one wants to host some pics; i'll send them for posting.

the main gear have 8" penumatic mountain down hill skateboard wheels. i have spent some $5k on the gear alone from engineering/developing to fabracation at the machine shop

it will be finished in the caost guard sceme

[email protected]
Old 11-07-2003, 02:08 PM
PeterC

R/C Steve,
KEEP US POSTED ON THIS ONE!!!!
Peter
Old 11-09-2003, 02:03 AM
Wayne22

This is a 14' wingspan (50-odd lbs) - one of three that have been built so far. This one is strictly a boat - there is no landing gear.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	If10913.jpg
Views:	2886
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	73377  
Old 12-01-2003, 11:57 PM
rcbart

Nony,

Actually 4 now built, Cliff had his new one, in Canadian colours, at the RCFCBC meeting last week. A few details to go but looks GREAT. I didn't know it was going to be there so NO CAMERA/ no pix. It WILL be at the Shuswap meet this spring, along with the one you posted.

Bart
Old 12-02-2003, 12:35 PM
wgreeley

I ordered a set of plans for an Albatross HU-16E from Scale Plans & Photo Service. http://www.fly-imaa.org/imaa/IMAAads/pepino/ The plane was originall featured in a 1988 Scale RC Modeler. Fred Kouka of Jacksonville, FL; built the 98" wingspan, twin .40 (2 cycle) powered model. The landing gear is "plug in", although the appropriate bulkheads were reinforced. It may have been updated to retracts by now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz79433.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	79089  
Old 12-03-2003, 12:10 AM
Wayne22

Cliff had his new one

Boy...they must have built that one in complete secrecy!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 03:27 PM
viper21

I have the G&P Sales kit NIB and plan to start it sometime this winter. I checked out the kit and really liked what I have. My kit came with glass nacelles and cowls as the previous kits came with ABS parts. I also have good grade birch ply for the bulkheads. I am planning to install twin four strokes I was going to install two Surpass 52's but now the Surpass 70 II with pump is out and is lighter that a Saito 72 I will probably use them. I am using the Coast Guard scheme but mine will be of a different color scheme its got white and red wings and blue and red stripes on the fuselage. I will post some pictures of the build when I get the chance to start it I have a few planes ahead of it. Overall I think it was a good value and a pretty scale looking kit that I know flys well because I have the flight video and it shows two seperate planes being flown. One with four strokes.
Viper
Old 12-07-2003, 03:29 PM
viper21

Just noticed that my paint scheme is very close to the one that Wgreely is doing[X(]
Old 12-07-2003, 08:17 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't overlook this kit of the Albatross:
http://www.ucrcs.com/qualls_aviation.htm
Old 12-13-2003, 07:07 PM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I have just started building a small electric Albatross, from a kit made in the Czech Republic by a company called HVP Modell. It is going together well.
have a look for the website www.hvp-modell.cz/

It has a wingspan of 56.3" and is for two Speed 400 or 480 motors and 7 or 8 cells.
The kit comprises a beautiful epoxy/glass moulded fuselage/hull, a ready built wing made of foam with balsa covering and precut balsa tail surfaces. It is an ARC kit. All decals are there to dress it up as a Coastguard plane, number 7213 (Cape Cod)

I bought mine on a working visit to Prague, but I am sure somebody must import the kit. The HVP company also does a similar size Catalina which I am sure I saw advertised.
Alasdair
Old 12-13-2003, 07:22 PM
viper21

Allasdair, that plane used to be imported to the US by Hobby Lobby USA and I keep kicking myself for not buying one when they discontunued them. I would love to install a pair of Mega brushless motors and a single Lipo pack with two 3 blade Vari Props and fly it 2 or 3 times in a day inbetween my glow floatplanes. And especially side by side to my 85 inch glow G&P sales Albatross.
Joe
Old 01-09-2004, 02:24 PM
alasdair

In the UK we have a new importer, Puffin Models. They have the kits in stock. See their website at
www.puffinmodels.com
Maybe they would ship to the USA, but it will cost you.
Also try HVP Modell for any news of a US importer.
Alasdair
Old 01-10-2004, 05:50 AM
alasdair

viper21
I tried to reply to your email, but it was returned undelivered.
I bought my kit from the factory on a work related visit to Prague, three years ago nearly. The kit costs £110 or £120 in the UK now, which must be getting on for $180 - $200 in US$. Add carriage to that and it might be prohibitive.
You asked me a while back where the kit could be obtained, and I just found out that Puffin Models have them in stock. It is best to look at their website and ask them direct. I have no connection with Puffin.
Of course if you are in the UK it will not be a problem. Postage will not be too much, and we are used to good kits being expensive.
Regards, Alasdair
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 PM
helokid

Helo Tex1790
Glad to see some one here in La. that also likes the plane.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Fast Freddy

Hello,

The plane you're looking for is imported by www.eam.net Go to their multi-engined category and you should find it. Good luck.

Fast Freddy
[email protected]
Old 01-16-2004, 04:54 PM
viper21

Freddy, thanks a bunch, they must have just started importing them to the states and for 199 thats a great deal.
But this one needs to be painted I think the original kit was an ARF I believe but I am going to get one anyway,
Thanks Viper.
Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 PM
lbarron

Alasdair,

Have you finished your plane yet? I've built the HVP Albatross but can't seem to get the darn thing to fly. I never used the stock Sp 400's but put in Max 480's instead, with 6x4 props and 8x1100 aau's (what I had sitting around). Flying weight was about 48oz. But, it didn't fly. Hardly even got up on step. So, I ditched the Max 480's and put in Graupner Sp480 race motors. Kept the 6x4 props and went to 8x1300 scr's. Got a lot of noise and spray from water hitting the props but never a good take off run. So, I added a water rudder extension down from the air rudder. Finally got a straight track but the plane only made it about 5ft off the water. At full throttle those batteries didn't last too long so I switched to 2400 scr's. Weight at that point was 54oz, which is very close to the recommended weight. But, it wouldn't budge after a lonnnngggg take off run. So, it's sitting on my shelf. I've read other forum posts where some folks have had the same problems while others got the thing to fly using the stock 400's.

Needless to say I'm stumped, so I'd be interested to hear how your's turns out.

Good luck,
Leland
Old 02-28-2004, 03:09 AM
viper21

Well I got my electric HVP Albatross a couple of weeks ago from another RCU Member. Leland I am going to run a pair of Mega 16/15/6 brushless motors with a Phoenix 25 ESC on each motor and a 3S4P 8000mahr Lipo pack. Swinging 7 inch 3 blade Varioprops direct drive. I am installing a water rudder in the scale location I am also installing working flaps on my plane. The flaps will help get the plane up on step sooner so I can get the plane up to flying speed. You didnt specify which Graupner Speed 480 you are using is it the black can #6327 with ball bearings? The CP 1300 pack is a good pack. Are you running both motors on the same speed control and the same battery pack? You might want consider seperate packs and ESC's but by the time you do that you can get a pair of Mega brushless motors. You might want to try flaps or flaperons to help get the hull out of the water and flying. Also you want to make sure that your CG is correct. I havent built mine yet so I cant offer anymore advice.
Good Luck Viper
Old 02-28-2004, 08:52 PM
lbarron

Viper,

I'm using the 480 race #6330, not the BB version, because that's what I've read other folks are using. According to ElectriCalc there is only a few watts per pd difference between the two, so certainly not enough to make a difference here. I've got the two motors running through one esc (Jeti 50A) and with a fresh pack they're drawing about 40 amps. I've got the CG exactly where specified by the instructions, and have the plastic splash guards on as well. I did read that one person extended the splash guards all the way to the nose so I might do that too. Might also try some flaps for some added lift. Also, I think I'll try a 7" prop - that might help. If all else fails I'll plunk down $40 more for two Varioprops since E-Calc shows a little better performance with those. After that I might just step on it!! Oh, alright - I'll try BL motors next, then step on it.

One word of caution. Do NOT drill the push rod exit holes for the rudder/elevator where the plans tell you to - at that angle the push rods do not move freely. I had to move mine lower, change the angle of the control horns and then fix the mess. It works nicely now.

Good luck with yours,
Regards,
Leland
Old 02-28-2004, 10:04 PM
viper21

Hi Leland, take a look at the Varioprop website http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html Eric the designer of the system has our plane and runs it on two speed 400's with his props. I saw this in one of the editions of Quiet Flyer they had a picture of him holding the plane. He installed flaps on his also and I think he had the water rudder in the stock position. You might want to drop him an email and see if he can give you some ideas. I think he was using 10 600 AE's but I am not sure but he flys it at float fly's. And dont step on it send it to me I will get it to fly Seriously I believe a pair of Mega 6 turns with 3 blade Varioprops is the way to go I am also running a 3S4P 8000 TP Lipo. I will be able to fly all day on one charge I also think you should try flaps or flaperons to get the bow up and out of the water and on step so it can lift off, I have flown a couple of planes with floats that benefitted from flaperons. They would unstick in half the distance than if not used.
Thanks for the information on the pushrods I am going to make my pushrods internal so as not to drill any holes in the fuse, at least I will try. Let me know how it works out with Erick.
Joe

PS: Is there enough space too swing a 7 inch 2 blade prop on the plane?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:58 PM
lbarron

Viper
Thanks for the info on the Varioprops. I ran a number of different combination of props and motors using E-Calc and it appears the three bladed prop is a bit better. And that was with a standard plastic prop, so maybe the Vario's are even better than that. Hope so.

I just measured the clearance between motor and fuselage and you can use a 7" prop and still have about 1/2" clearance.

Hey - I saw that you're busy making a Cherokee too - I love that plane! Have the Herr kit sitting here waiting it's turn.

So many projects, so few hours in the day!

LB
Old 03-06-2004, 08:30 AM
abdr-crewchief

G&P Sales, www.rcairplane.net, makes a Albatross and a Wigeon (similar to a Goose).
The wigeon is $1200 without retracts, costume retracts per email from the company would be approx $800, engine, or radio equip.
I can remember being in the USAF, and $1200 is alot of money (even now it is).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.