Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Seacruiser II

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Seacruiser II

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 08:31 PM
scott7x71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seacruiser II

Anybody know anything about the Sea Cruiser II. It's a duck from Hangar Designs in Arkansas. I have one on the table and I would like to know of any characteristics before she flys. [sm=drowning.gif]
Old 12-08-2003, 11:32 AM
PeterC

Default RE: Seacruiser II

If you do a search on Sea Cruiser II in this thread you will find many positive reports on it. I also have one in the box waiting for some free time to build it. A good 40 or 45 should provide a nice flying plane. Take heed of the elevator throws, I hear it will tend to nose in unless you have lots of elevator to keep the nose up until it gets on plane.
Keep us posted.
Peter
Old 12-08-2003, 02:14 PM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SeaCruisers are probably the best flying seaplanes yet offered.
Unfortunately they ceased production last spring. Keep your plans in good shape.
Old 12-09-2003, 12:43 PM
scott7x71

I had heard about the elevator. It makes sense since with, the engine position, that it would easily nose over.

After checking other threads I'm surprised to hear that they ceased production of this kit. Everything seems to be positive overall. Maybe they didn't have the resources for the "idependent" reviews in the mags. What a shame.

I'll keep looking for info, Thanks in advance for all your help and info.

Scott
Old 12-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Goinstraightup
My Feedback: (26)

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]

Awesome plane. I love mine. I've had several requests for my plans. I have never experienced the "nose in" that Peter C describes, although if it was overpowered and nose heavy I could see that happening. This plane flys great and I would have to say that it flys a lot like the "Stick" type planes. Water handling is superb. It is on the step in only a few feet and in the air in 50 or less. This is with plain bearing 40's for power (OS 40FP and LA). If you have a little speed on the step and feed in a little rudder you can easily do the coolest side skid. Those are fun to do. The plans say that you can go up to a .60 2C, but I wouldn't recommend it. A light .40 is all you need. This plane doesn't require a ton of power. A guy just got his done last summer and I did the test flights on it. He had the LA on his and I have the FP on mine. His flew identical to mine - GREAT! He was so glad he got his done. Keep plugging away on yours. Keep the fuse straight as stated in the instructions and you will have a great bird. I use Vaseline around my wing seat and I've never had water in my fuse. Keep us posted on how things go.

Jeff
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr50673.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	81513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57512.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	81514   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27892.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	81515  
Old 12-11-2003, 08:35 PM
JimCasey

>>> I'm surprised to hear that they ceased production of this kit. Everything seems to be positive overall. Maybe they didn't have the resources for the "independent" reviews in the mags. What a shame. <<<

It's still a shame, but I think he just wanted to retire. Seadancers were in the Tower catalog 20 years ago when I got started in this hobby. I don't know how much longer they have been around. I wish somebody would buy the rights to it and re-introduce it. It has a flat-bottom airfoil but flies like its symmetrical. They were offered in .20 and .40 sizes, and an overpowered .20-size was HOT.
Old 12-12-2003, 01:34 PM
PeterC

Jim, I think you mean Sea Cruisers??? Also my Seacruiser II has a semisymmetrical airfoil which is quite thick indicating it will fly at moderate speeds. The fuselage is flat bottomed just like the Seamaster. The main reason I like the SCII is that it has a cabin area that looks somewhat scalish. 30's vintage flying boat style. I just love big lumbering aircraft cruising around at part throttle.
My earlier comment was about an enlarged Drake I built for a OS 20 FSR. It had full sized equipment in it and was somewhat "heavy". It flew OK but never took off the water. The "up" elevator was a reitteration of a note on the plans for the Sea Cruiser. As soon as my 1/6 scale Widgeon is completed I will start the SC. I am planning on making it a twin. I love the sound of twin engines. In my archives I have plans for a Shorts Solent, I wonder what four engines sound like?
Old 12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Goinstraightup

The main reason I like the SCII is that it has a cabin area that looks somewhat scalish. 30's vintage flying boat style.
Yeah, several of the guys at my club have dubbed my SeaCruiser the "China Clipper".... heeheeeeee.

They were offered in .20 and .40 sizes, and an overpowered .20-size was HOT.
Yes! I got my .40 size SeaCruiser because I saw the .25 size one fly. We had a float fly with our club and it was a perfect afternoon / evening. I had my Kadet MKII on foam floats that I designed and another club member had his .25 size SeaCruiser which was powered by a K&B .28. We were chasing each other with a "Splash-N-Go" in the middle of each circle. He had no trouble keeping up with me and we were having a blast. That's when I decided to get the .40 Size SeaCruiser II.

Here's a pic of my friends SeaCruiser next to mine (the LA powered one that I talked about in post #5):

Name:	Yw67168.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	81777  
Old 12-18-2003, 09:30 AM
neversink

Would anyone have a set of instructions (or a copy of) for the .25 Seacruiser? I found a kit with the plans, but no instructions. I'll gladly pay for them! All this talk has me itching to put it together this winter.

Thanks,
Rich

Just to contribute a little, here's a shot of a fellow club member's .40 size SCII.

Name:	Nl30275.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	83246  
Old 03-13-2004, 08:24 AM
RUDOLF

Hello,

I am also looking for plans for this beautiful seaplane.

Wold somebody be so kind to advise where to get plans?

Thanks for any advice.

Rudy
Old 03-27-2004, 10:58 PM
p-40_lova

Don't know if it interests anyone, but on the back of the May issue of Model Aviation, there is a pretty similar looking arf about to debut this summer from Lanier rc. The Mariner 120 and .40

Doug
Old 03-28-2004, 12:38 PM
PeterC

Rudolf,
I have been a drafting instructor for many years and also am in possession of a Sea Cruiser kit. Unfortunately the plans that came with my kit are so dark that it would be impossible to get a useable print off of them. I have copied plans for many years and know what can and can't be done and this is one of the impossible. If anyone has a clear set of plans out there it would only cost around $5 to get them done at a copy house that has an engineering copier. I hope to build mine this next winter so my plans will be freed up then.
Lots of luck with your search.
Peter

ORIGINAL: RUDOLF

Hello,

I am also looking for plans for this beautiful seaplane.

Wold somebody be so kind to advise where to get plans?

Thanks for any advice.

Rudy
Old 06-28-2004, 12:07 PM
Ed_Moorman

Here are some photos of the Sea Cruiser belonging to a buddy and myself. He's 82 so he builds and I fly. There were a few mods made to ours: sub fin and extended rudder for water rudder, end plates, a slight V bottom, flaps, wider, constant chord ailerons and elevator and his airfoil (a 60-40 semi-symmetrical like an NACA 2415). It takes off, flies and lands very well. Thunder Tiger .42GP for power. I haven't tried the flats yet. He wanted them, but they aren't needed.

Name:	Mk27067.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	148247   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp46442.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	148248  
Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM
Ed_Moorman

A couple more Cruiser photos. You can see the slight V-bottom to the forward hull and the deeper curve to the bottom of the wing-it's a thicker airfoil.

Name:	Ki18898.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	148249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu63893.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	148250  
Old 06-28-2004, 12:45 PM
Goinstraightup

Very nice job Ed. [sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif] Looks great. Glad you are happy with it. Too bad we aren't closer as it would be fun to see a side by side comparison of the stock plane and the modified one. I'd like to hear more about the water handling and the Vee bottom. The flat bottom plane still gets pretty wet, but I was wondering if there is excessive spray with the vee bottom. Also, with the flat bottom, I noticed that if you turn while still moving pretty fast the result is a side skid. Do you experience this with the Vee bottom or does it track better at high taxi speeds? Great job again.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2004, 08:54 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

I also have one in the box waiting for some free time to build it. A good 40 or 45 should provide a nice flying plane.
Peter, you have one of those beauties!!!!!??? I've always thought that it could make a very credible Boeing clipper wannabe.....
Old 06-29-2004, 11:29 AM
PeterC

Wayne,
I was actually thinking more of a twin engine patrol type reminicent of the 30's era. For four engines, 15's would probably over power it like crazy not to mention the weight gain. After the experience of my other twin, a pair of 25's will still be too much for realistic flying on the sea cruiser.
I've lots of time to think about it til winter.
Peter
Old 07-27-2004, 12:27 AM
Rex
My Feedback: (18)

I got one on the board at the moment, a .25 sized. My big debate now is whether to power it with an OS .26 Surpass, or an AXI 2820/10 electric motor. I suspect the AXI would provide more power, albeit a bit more weight with the Li-po's.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:25 AM
PeterC

Hi Rex, The 26 Surpass might be a little weak for spirited flying but I guess it just depends on what you want. The AXI sounds interesting but I'm not too familiar with electrics and especially the AXI motors. The Li-po's are very much lighter than NI cads so your power to weight would not be too bad.
I personally like easy, relaxing flying so I would tend to go with the glow. I also love the sound of a 4stroke cruising at low power setting so that would be my choice. Keep us posted.
Peter
Old 07-27-2004, 10:09 AM
Goinstraightup

Sounds like you would have a very nice plane either way Rex. The .25 size SeaCruiser that was at our lake had a K&B .28 (2C). That little plane really moved.

I agree with Peter, the sound of the 4 cycle would be Sweet, and I also would like to hear what you end up going with.

There is a beautiful lake near us that only allows electric motors on boats. I always wonder what it would be like to take an electric flying boat down there. That would be fun and I'm sure it would get lots of attention from the tourists.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:48 AM
Rex

Thanks guys, I think I will go with the Surpass. Once I get to the finishing stage, I'll add some photos.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
Rex

Well, this is as far as I got before selling it to a friend. I'm about to start a K&A Mallard, which is better suited for electric power. At least I'll probably get to fly the Sea Cruiser a time or two if I beg hard enough.

Fiberglassed hull, floats, and float arm with K&B epoxy paint.

Name:	Us53999.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	177092  
Old 07-31-2005, 05:36 PM
Strykaas

Rex,

What is your progress with yours ?
Old 09-21-2005, 08:17 PM
hwmcadoo

The Sea Cruiser II buils as the designer intended is forgivin, stable and capable of some mild aerobatics. Some of these have been built without dihedral, some have been built with a semi-symetrical wing all with good and expected results.

The .40 size can fly with engines smaller than .40 and a friend has one with a .71.

They can be built with wheels.

The fuseelage being plywood is about as strong as a baseball bat.

This is a very, very good airplane kit. And an excellent flyer

Mickey
Old 09-21-2005, 10:39 PM
PeterC

My Sea Cruiser kit has a semi symetrical wing and a balso fuselage. Are there others?
Peter

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.