Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Seaplane landings

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Seaplane landings

Old 05-16-2005, 05:12 PM
Neverquit347

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seaplane landings

I have an Avistar that has floats, It flys awesome with great takeoffs, but my landings are very bouncy. Should I land the plane the same as I would with a tail dragger on land. Nose slightly up, or does it just take practice. Thanks. John
Old 05-16-2005, 05:28 PM
jtiller
My Feedback: (21)

Default RE: Seaplane landings

Practice is the key thing.

I set up my approaches very much like I do for runway landings, but perhaps with a little more nose up.

Try reducing the rate of descent just before touchdown. As the plane settles in for a landing start adding a few clicks of power just before touchdown and stretch it out a little.

I don't claim to be an expert, but the guys in our club who do those neat splash and goes seem to just let the plane kiss the water at touchdown. They say power management is the key.

I have a few neat splash and goes, but I also have a few stop and drowns. I guess it's all part of the learning process.

Hope that helps. Cheers.

Old 05-17-2005, 12:06 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Yes, a little power during the flare helps a lot...I aim to get the water rudder wet before the floats touch (not always successful). That means it sets down on the aft part of the floats with the nose well in the air. Once the floats touch, the drag of the water slows the model down and the nose pitches down gently reducing any lift the wings may still be providing...

My son is so good at this that he can drag the water rudder through the surface for about a hundred feet before setting down...some awesome to watch, I tell ya!

Old 05-17-2005, 11:02 AM
britbrat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: nony

My son is so good at this that he can drag the water rudder through the surface for about a hundred feet before setting down...some awesome to watch, I tell ya!

Wayne, does that make you feel a bit redundant? You have obviously "passed the torch" with failing hands
Old 05-19-2005, 07:44 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throttle MANAGEMENT the KEY to smooth water landings !!! And practice, practice, practice but always throttle management. Just a thought added to nony's comment about setting the water rudder in first. That works great but just remember when it touches it starts to drag so you will need just a bit more throttle at that point. ( Throttle Management ) ENJOY!!!! Red
Old 05-19-2005, 07:56 PM
MountaineerFan36

Would the landing technique differ for a "flying boat" design such as the Lanier Mariner?

Just curious cause I just bought one used...and I'm a little anxious about taking her out. Our club has a float fly scheduled for the 28th of this month, and I'll probably wait until then to take her out, that way one of the club pros can help out a bit.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:06 PM
rslstft
My Feedback: (10)

Agreed, throttle management is important to smooth landing. I usually come in a click or 2 higher throttle setting than a wheel landing and flare a little more than usual. My Ready is so steady that it makes me look good. Just remember, you're supposed to be having fun and float flying is even more fun, so practicing landings should be enjoyable. Just relax, easy on the sticks and if it bounces, good excuse to take off and try again.
Notice the reflection of the bottom of the floats on the water and the rudder is the only part immersed in the water!! Those are the landing that make float flying fun!!

Russ
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax72948.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	273781  
Old 05-20-2005, 07:38 AM
JimCasey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of the best landings I ever had were when I set up the plane with the minimum power that it needed to maintain altitude, then tried to fly with the floats an inch off the water. Set it up waaay out, get a foot high, then reduce the throttle a click. It floats in surface effect for a while, but if you don't do ANYTHING at that point but keep the wings level and hold the elevator still, it will settle in very gently. Control altitude with the throttle, one-click adjustments are all you need. The elevator position is not up any farther than the trim lever can move it anyway....not a "full-stall" landing

Full-size planes set up for a smooth-water landing by trimming the plane for a 100 feet per minute rate of descent, and waiting for the touchdown. 100 fpm is a VERY shallow descent.

On smooth water it is easy to judge altitude by watching the reflection of the plane. When the reflection and the plane touch, you are at the surface.

Coming over the bank, I always watch for the shadow of the plane to cross the inevitable bushes before I let down to land. I learned to do this one day after I had a really nice approach going. I thought I was over the water and let down to land and strained it thru an elm tree. There's one guy in the club who did this so many times in the same place that his favorite hazard is known as "Ray's tree".