Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Los Angeles area float flying place

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Los Angeles area float flying place

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:44 PM
manix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Los Angeles area float flying place

Hi,

We lay over at Los Angeles and stay there for 24 or 48 hrs when flying those trips.

Any R/C float flying place in that area of California you recommend to visit on weekends?

Thanks
Old 07-12-2005, 07:03 PM
SKYPILOT
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Los Angeles area float flying place

Hello,

Well, In your post you don't indicate when your intending to visit us, but if it happens to be this wknd., your in luck. On Sat., theirs a one day float fly at the Santa Fe Dam recreational park in southern Cali., and this is a GREAT little one.

On every Sun., you can find a small group of guys (myself included) at a private little pond in Orange County Cali., we fly there in the mornings till about noon, and have a very diverse selection of models.

Theirs a club out in the Moreno Valley area in Gilman Springs that has an asphault runway right next to a large lake, and the members split their time between land and water based planes all day long.

Theirs also another club with the same setup as above, about 2-3 hours north west of LA at Lake Casitas (absolutely beautiful location), but would be hard for you to find and access...

Theirs more that i can't remember right now, but someone else probably will hope that helps...........
Old 07-13-2005, 05:59 PM
manix

Thank you much for the info and invitation Reed, would have loved to be there this weekend but unfortunately that will not be possible for me. I will do my best for a future weekend and send a PM to you. Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:38 PM
grandslam
My Feedback: (181)

skypilot:

I am unable to reach someone to confirm the Santa Fe Dam Float Fly this Saturday.

Were you able to talk to someone and confirm?

Also, do you know why they are not going to have any more float flys at Prado Dam?
Old 07-14-2005, 07:57 PM
SKYPILOT

Yes,

The latest intel i have on both is this!

Santa Fe Dam IS A GO for this Sat. the 16th...............

The Prado Club took a pretty big hit a few months ago from the FAA, grounding the club for ALL flying!! This was caused by a turbine jet model exceeding the max ceiling at the "best in the west" jet ralley, and narrowley missing a fullscale plane on approach into Chino. The pilot radio'd the tower, declarring a neer miss by a model jet going straight up with smoke on passing right in front of him, the FAA was made aware of it and that was that!!

The end result for the Prado club ??, they are back open to general planes, but have banned ALL turbine models and ALL giant scale IMAC style planes! I think the cut-off limit is 27% or roughly 80" W/S, and the members are under a HUGE microscope.

As to the Prado float fly ??, with all the close scrutiny by the city and the poor timing of the model jet debacle, the club overlooked a document they needed to submit to the city for the float fly, and were not granted a permit to hold the float fly. They're tenitively looking for Oct. ????? to try again []
Old 07-14-2005, 11:15 PM
JAkridge

Scott, I'm a no show, even if it happens at SFD. The move to HB will eat me alive as is.[]
Just a little info.....El Toro field is very lucky to be open this weekend, I have read the field lease was renewed intell Dec........ONLY. No turbine anything!!!!!!..yep even Heli's and nothing over 80" or 40 lbs. ??? not sure on that call.

You can bet after I get moved I'll need a fun weekend of Float Flying...I will be calling on you for fun..........Unless you want to help me Move ?????

Just kidding.....Have fun at SFD.

Joe
Old 07-15-2005, 01:26 PM
SKYPILOT

Joe,

Bummer you can't make the floatfly, it's gonna be a blast. Yeah, i talked with the club president (my ex boss) and he pretty much said exactly what you said. I'm bummed i can't bring my turbine heli out there anymore.

If Kobi has a single sister or friend, i could be talked into helping you with the move (if ya know what i'm say'in)