Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 01-23-2006, 02:04 AM
PaulG-RC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

Thats very interesting for the water handling. I will also inspect the water rudder before installing it .
I completed the wings today and I decided to cover up the rib holes at the wing tips and applied CA to seal the balsa, I then installed the wingtips with silicon adhesive and then white electrical tape around it as a safety and it looks good.
As for the servos I like the setup but I decided to seal it more to avoid water getting in there from splash.
After the servos were installed I sanded the underside of the plastic plate covers and the put a coating of silicon and also use a piece of white party balloon glued on it and when place over the servos aint no water geting in there now.
All the seams around the covering has been sealed too with CA.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46097.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	393469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86994.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	393470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo29338.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	393471  
Old 01-23-2006, 12:49 PM
flyboyjonny
My Feedback: (1)

Glad to hear that you got to get in a good test flight! I does fly very well and the flaps are a God-send! The Seawind is not a happy camper when taxiing slow due to the wing tip floats being up so high. It's very typical for a scale flying hull configuration to drag a tip at slow speeds. I found that when I carried more throttle and got the wing tips up ( using some aileron to keep it level)...it did much better! Did you balance it laterally? That helps too!
Old 01-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Fast Freddy

Waterproofing Removeable Wing Halves on Seawind

Here's an idea for waterproofing the right and left wing halves at the center wing section joining ribs. What about making permanent silicone gaskets on the right and left center wing section? Think this would work? I plan on removing the wings after each flight since I don't have a big enough vehicle to haul the Seawind fully assembled. In addition, putting electrical tape on and off the joints on a continual basis might tear the covering.

Another idea. I did a search on the net for O rings and found sites that sell O ring material by the foot in either a round or flat configuration. It comes in very small thicknesses down to 10 or 15 thousandths. One could cut a flat silicone gasket the exact shape of the rib, cut access holes for servo connectors and have a very clean joint.

I've done neither of these modifications, I'm just throwing out ideas.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 AM
PaulG-RC

For the main wings I will make a silicon gasket shape like the rib thats a great idea
Old 01-24-2006, 07:52 AM
gouda
My Feedback: (69)

That is a great idea, I'll follow suit. Where did you get the material? Or could any silicon be used? Would a process like this work? >> Cover the fuse root area with a clear wrap, then appling the silicon to the wing root, joining the two parts and allowing the material to cure. Then dis-assemble and trim the excess silicon.
I don't think gluing a o-ring material on the root would work very well. In order for it not to cause a issue, it would have to be very small dia (like noted) and if the glue caused it to harden or get brittle, it would lose it's sealing ability. I'm assume you mean round o-ring material. In re-reading the post, maybe you meant flat material...????

Just some thoughts.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:26 AM
PaulG-RC

Thats it simply apply the silicon and then placing a wax paper between the wing and the fuse wiping the excess and you got a gasket.
Old 01-24-2006, 11:13 AM
lmcp

I just finished a Spectra ll seaplane from the 1970 RCM Magazine plan. I looks much like the Great Planes Seawind. It has a 76" wingspan and weighs 11-12 lbs. I'm using a Magnum 91 F-S engine and want to use a 3-blade prop, but don't know the size and pitch for this engine. Amy suggestions? Is there any conversion chart available for 2 to three blade and/ 4 bladed props?

Larry
Old 01-24-2006, 11:22 AM
PaulG-RC

Usually 2 inch less to 1 deg in pitch more works well. so if you use a 14 x 6 you would use a 3 blade 12 x 7
Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
seanychen
My Feedback: (4)

Use the Graupner 12.5 x 7 3-blader. It will look best, much better than the thin blade, flex-on-demand Master Airscrew 3-bladers.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:19 PM
RVman

hello, just wondering how people are balancing the seawind accurately. Im thinking upside down is probably a little bit easier but a CG machine will slide off the top of the wing so...
Old 01-26-2006, 09:48 PM
stick flyer

I am looking for ideas in putting the antana in the Seawind? I am not sure what would work the best. GP sure doesn't help withnthis one. Where did you put the antana?
Old 01-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Skyventures

Hello Stick Flyer,
I drilled a hole in the former at the step on the starboard (right side) near the bottom, and driiled a piece of 1/8 balsa, threaded a nirod outer housing through the former and put the piece of balsa on the nirod pushing it back to the next former and glued it to the formers. The nirod went all the back into the tail. This gives you a tube to push the antena back into the fusalage. If I am able to get our camera from my wife again tomarrow, I'll take a picture and post it on this form.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:08 AM
stick flyer

Thanks for the information as this is a method that I had not thought of. Sounds like a good idea as the plane could then be kept water tight. Does the antena wire then reach to the outside or does it stay internal? I am thinking that it will then stay internal. I have almost always put my antena wires internal and then out of the tail on smaller planes. How did the balance go for you? I put Robart retracts on mine and still haven't done the balance as I have time before I will fly do to the time of year. I will use a 5 cell 6 volt battery and will place it as far forward as possible to help the balance. Bubble wrap does wonders for lodging things in small places as well as displacing possible water where you do not want it. Looking forward to your reply.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:15 AM
MMallory

Another option is to use a whip antenna. This is very easy to install and seal. 1 hole and screw on.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:34 AM
stick flyer

This is another good idea. I haven't done many seaplanes and am finding it a new adventure. I guess I would need to order one through the LHS. Who makes this? I hope Fataba as that is my radio. Thanks for the information and will look into this.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:59 AM
MMallory

With the whip, you simply cut your antenna wire the exact length of the whip. I like to solder the connector in addition to crimping it. You can get them at:

http://www.goldenwestmodels.net/accessories.htm
http://airpacmodels.com/catalog/adva...?keywords=whip
http://dreamworksrc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Search the Jet forum if you want more detail.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:04 PM
Skyventures

The antenna stays inside the plane. You can also use up some length by wrapping some of the antenna around some of the other nirod housings and tape them there as long as you don't wrap the antenna wire over itself. The whip antenna works very well and I have used them on helicopters.
I haven't finished my Seawind and so haven't balanced it yet.
Old 01-29-2006, 10:06 PM
RVman

Alright well i'll ask again. How are people balancing the seawind, upside down or what??
thanks
Old 01-30-2006, 01:52 AM
gmgeeman

right side up, tank empty, and where GP say,
Old 01-30-2006, 09:15 AM
RVman

ok thanks
Old 01-31-2006, 11:49 AM
flying_phil

I haven't flown mine yet, too cold and windy in Kansas, but I balanced it right side up, empty tank and 1 1/32" from the LE. I'll try this before I do anything else. GP told me that they have taken all our concerns into consideration even before we asked and that their recos are how the plane flys best.

Using the enclosed LG I had to add 20 oz. to balance. It took two people and hour to get it stabilized. Since I will also fly off water a couple of times a year I will need to balance it again when I take off the LG. So instead of adding permanent weight I used old "C" batteries and velcroed them on both sides of the front LG hump from the inside. Now I can add or eliminate weight and shift it as needed.

As for the antenna, I drilled a hole behind the fuel tank hatch and screwed in a fuel connector w/ silicone. I used fishing line to connect the antenna to the back of the Vstab. Not to take off the canopy to turn on/off, I added a Dubro remote wire through the side of the fuselage. To prevent any water getting in through the antenna or switch, I will add vaseline from the outside just before I fly.

I hope this helps,

Phil
Old 01-31-2006, 10:57 PM
RVman

Ok here is my retractable water rudder setup installed and ready to go except i have to paint it white yet and hook up the cables to the steering servo inside.
BTW phil how long is your antenna for the reciever; there is no way mine will go all the way up the fin and out to the stabilizer. Thats well over the 39 inches or so?
What engine do you have to need 20 oz for weight. I need 10 oz with saito 82 and the water rudder assembly 2.5+ oz?
thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81302.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	399517   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29682.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	399518  
Old 02-01-2006, 10:16 AM
nexxa

Finally somebody know where is the starting CG point with the gas tank place on CG ???
I install my OS91 with a perry pump, and mount the gas tank on CG.

I finally decide to install engine and elevator servo where the tank suppose to be. Not enough $$ to buy high torque BB metal gear micro servo. By mounting the elevator servo in this location I can use standard BB servo.

I made so many modification on this plane, maybe I will show pictures for all of them in a new post.
(nose and wings retract, rudder fin, standard servo for rudder, new location for elevator and caburator servos, engine on pump, reinforce bottom and side with fiberglass...) Will fly with the retract system on water and land!

Old 02-01-2006, 01:09 PM
flying_phil

RVman

I'm using a standard antenna length, what's that 39" I think. Using one section of a plastic servo arm I attached it to some plastic fishing line to get to the Vstab. I'm using a Thunder Tiger .91 4 stroke which comes in at about 26 ounces, heavier than most. But I have also installed the landing gear that came with the plane and both mains are behind the CG. Hope this helps.

Phil
Old 02-08-2006, 08:04 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Guys,

I read the review of the Seawind in FlyRC and it talked about the water handling and the fact that the tips tend to dig in - they said to the extent that sometimes a tip will actually submerge.

My Seawind is on the way, so I haven't been able to look closely at the tip floats, but has anybody considered modifying them to increase their volume and maybe give them a flatter bottom to help them plane at lower speeds? I know it would take some fiberglass work, but from the pictures it looks like it might be doable...

Bob

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.