Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
 Great Planes Seawind >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 02-17-2006, 09:40 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

I just recieved my new SeaWind today, and it was just perfect! The packing with the styrofoam inserts seemed to have done the job! I am now fighting over the issue of which engine. I had intended to use the Saito .80, but I am now rethinking this and mabye use my new Saito .91 instead. The model is bigger and heavier then I thought before seeing it, so I am asking you folks what you all think?

I have also read where someone built bellcranks instead of placing micro servos into the tail for weight reasons. Is this reall making a difference, is the weight that much? If Greatplanes designed it for servos, recomemends micros, and states it fly well this way, then why not?

I plan on using it for water only, and sealing the retract openings. Also what about the auto bailer? Should I even bother to use it, or just seal the hole up?

Keep the great ideas coming, I want to turn out the best craft I can!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

GreyFox, I saw one fly with an OS 70. It flew, but I really seemed to lack power. I'm using an OS 91 and it's great.

Nose weight is definitley an issue. I have about 22oz in the nose. At first I thought it would make sense to put servos in the radio compartment instead of in the tail, but the weight doesn't hurt the flight characteristics, so why go through the hassle of closing off the servo openings?

Of course, if you don't mind a little extra work, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt
Old 02-17-2006, 10:35 AM
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

From the looks of your box vs. mine, it looks like they went to a bit larger box, heavier cardboard, both in the box, probably also the outer box, and the insert that the spar/tail, etc. is taped to. They also added the foam inserts around the aft fuselage.

That being said, never underestimate the power of UPS to crush anything into oblivion. Bob Violet told me a story once how they crushed one of his jet cases with a customer's model inside. They came to inspect it and started to try and pin it on the case not being study enough. He simply went and got another case and proceeded to jump up and down on it with his full weight. He then got off the box and said to the inspector "Now what the F&$^ did you do to it?!?!" He won that one...

Bob
Old 02-17-2006, 10:37 AM

Hi Greyfox,

I built my seawind during January and used a Thunder Tiger .91 that weighs about 27oz. I've been following this posting since Oct. when I decided that I wanted one. Some of the threads have been a great help. I have glassed the fuse area around the canopy and added support struts on the fuse walls in that area. Also I added balsa supports under the canopy flange. For the balance of the construction I followed the book. I also want to fly both off water and a grass field, so I installed the stock landing gear. I will take about 30 minutes the night before to turn it into a seaplane. My plane weighs 11 1/4 lbs. which includes the 20 oz. I added to the nose. It seems like it took longer for two of us to balance the plane than to build it.

Since I will have to rebalance the plane when I convert it to a seplane, (take off the landing gear and add the water rudder), I velcroed "c" cell batteries to the nose gear housing area, which now can be moved as needed. Two weeks ago, it was nice here in Kansas, but windy, so I took the plane out to the field to do some high speed taxi tests to see how the nose gear would hold up and to see if the batteries would stay in place. I worked out great. nothing moved and after checking closely at home every screw and bolt remained solid. The next good day it will fly. Good luck with yours. PS...mine came in undamaged also.

Phill
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

I really don't think there was ever a packing problem. While my first Seawind was badly damaged, it was obvious that the box had had the crap beat out of it. I mean, the box was litterally bent. You can see in pic #4 how far the Fuse was from the side of the box, and yet it got broken.

There was no way that it could have been packaged to prevent damage from that sort of mishandling.
I saw too many shipping damage of this plane, so I decided to get it from LHS and inspected it before I bought it. It turned out it mine had some slight damage at the fuel tank cover flange that I didn't catch during initial pre-cash inspection.

Great Planes should've packed this plane in a sturdier box, arranging parts in a way that a kick to the box will not result in critical damage. Then double, no, triple box it on the outside, with some foam pop corns in between. That's how I pack my engines when I sell them on eebbbaayy. Either that, or Tower should be shipping this plane with insurance, knowing that UPS will damage the shipping box, somehow, somewhere. That would probably cost about $10 additional boxing or insurance cost, but hey, it's much cheaper than 50% return rate.

The most robust packing I've seen is the Seagull Harrier 90. The box is sturdy, and each part is boxed in smaller boxes inside, and the 5 smaller boxes altogether fill the big box completely. I can stand on the box and won't worry about damaging parts. Unless someone take an ax and chop it, even that will require a few good chops before getting through the inner box.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:14 PM

OK, I have just about finished my SeaWind with an OS.91 for power with the fuel tank in the pod, and a Graupner 12x5.7 three blade prop. Everything looks good, I am using a 2400ma NiCad battery secured Way Up Front to help with CG, but the question is...

Which way to mount the engine, Inverted, or sideways? I would agree they run better mounted sideways, but will inverted cause me issues? The engine runs great on the test bench, and it is not pumped, I am looking for the same on the model...

P.S. I used the Hitec Micro servos with Metal Gears, and the weight difference to a bell crank solution was minimal, and not worth the effort, so the servos are in! With all, the dry weight is comming in at 11.24lbs. (No Landing Gear).

I made only one mistake, by mounting an aeleron upside down, so I will have to cut it off, and mount it correctly to get the hard-point mount in the right place for the horn. The model dows not seem to have much flap, but I guess that is intantional, I am within specs...

What a beautiful floatplane! It will impress the neighbors...
Old 02-20-2006, 01:48 PM

Greyfox,

Mine is about %60 finished. I'm using the OS .91 also and although it probably runs OK inverted, I decided to side-mount mine. All engines, 4-strokes particulary, are easier to start and also idle better side-mounted and I figure on a seaplane, these were more important that looks. However, the engine actually looks quite good side-mounted, so I'm glad I did it that way. BTW, if you haven't done it yet, be careful drilling the holes for the screws that hold the engine hatch in - its easy to drill right into the fuel tank! [:@]

Bob
Old 02-20-2006, 02:27 PM

Bob, thanks for the information, I will place my engine sideways to improve running, like you said it would be better not to stop, for a long walk (or swim) is not what I had in mind, and i'm sure the glide ration for this bird is not so good!
Old 02-20-2006, 07:30 PM

Here's some quick pictures of my side-mounted OS .91 - plus a bling, bling strobe for the tail...

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db83892.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	412300   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45107.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	412301   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91419.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	412302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Le93374.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	412303  
Old 02-20-2006, 08:22 PM
My Feedback: (69)

Very Nice! Like the strobe...How'd you do that?
Old 02-21-2006, 10:24 AM

Very Nice Install, You have shown us the best way to install, and I will follow suit! I did purchase the Iron Pump fuel pump anyway, and will use it, but I will also mount it sideways. I wondered if it would be wise to glue a support tab under the front of the existing air hole which you cut into?

The light is sweet, I just painted mine Red!

Thanks for the wonderful photos...

Greyfoxvt
Old 02-21-2006, 12:53 PM

Has anyone thought about mounting a cam-corder up front, perhaps looking out the canopy? It would be an excellent use of nose weight.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:02 PM

For the strobe, I simply cut off the back of the "bubble" (whatever you call that thing) straight with a Dremel cutoff wheel. Then I drilled progressively larger holes through it into the stabilizer until one of Andy Low's strobes would fit. The wire was easy to fish down into the fuse using .02" music wire. These strobes are very bright - they will make a spot in front of your eyes when you look at them. It will be complemented by nav lights in the wingtips...

Bob

http://www.electrodynam.com/cgi-loca...b80+1144267515
Old 02-21-2006, 01:05 PM
My Feedback: (69)

Thanks Bob, I really like that feature.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:54 AM
My Feedback: (16)

DO YOU HAVE MORE PICS WITH THE LIGHTS INSTALLED????
Old 02-22-2006, 01:02 PM

I'm still waiting for the nav. lights from Electrodynamics, but I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them in and installed...

Bob
Old 02-22-2006, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: flyanything

Has anyone succesfully mounted a Saito 100 with the recommended 5 1/8" firewall to backplate distance? I tried mine tonight but the carb bolts bump into the mount bolts when you try to slide the engine back toward the firewall. The best I can get is about 5 1/2" which is just too far out.

John

John, I've been hoping someone would come up with a solution as I have the same problem in mounting the Saito 100. I've tried Dubro's split mount as well as Sig's and get the same results............about a 1/2" too far out. I have an old J-Tech mount that I might be able to make work, but using any different mount is going to involve drilling new holes and installing new blind nuts to keep the engine on the proper thrust line. Not a big problem in itself, but it seems to me to do this properly you would want to try and remove the old blind nuts and fill the old holes before installing new ones. Not an easy task. Any new holes are going to be so close to the old ones that you will be drilling through the existing blind nut flanges and then trying to install blind nuts on top of blind nuts. I say nuts to that. The only other solution would be to try and add about a 1/2" thick ring on the front of the cowl to take up the gap. Easily done I suppose, but to make it look right might be a problem. Plus you'd be pushing the tip of the prop just that much closer to the top of the fuse. I do have another airplane I could put this Saito 100 in. If I got another engine for this Seawind I might consider the OS 91 four-stroke pumper. By some of the photos shown this engine seems to fit. However I'd like to find some dimensions before I actually buy one. OS specs give the dimension from the back plate to the face of the thrust washer, but I cant find an overall dimension from the back of the carb to the thrust washer. If anyone has this overall dimension for the OS 91FS maybe they would pass it along.

Mike
Old 02-22-2006, 10:45 PM
My Feedback: (5)

I get 4 3/8" on my OS 91 Four Stroke. Give or take a sixteenth. Hope this helps.
John
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 PM

I mounted the Saito 100 at 90 degrees. I cut out the supplied motor mount with my dremel and hacksaw so the back of the carb would allow the engine to be moved back far enough to get 5 inches from the face of the firewall to the front of the drive washer or back of the spinner. I threaded a bolt into the top left motor mount blind nut and drove it out. I then redrilled through the motor mount and reinstalled the blind nut above the origional hole so the mounting bolt would clear the carb. I filled the origional hole with epoxy.
I also rotated the carb so the high speed needle adjustment is on top.
Doug.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:57 AM

How about this spinner that can reduce spinner-to-cowl gap by 1/8":

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXE154&P=7
Old 02-26-2006, 06:24 PM

Warning, don't fly the seawind off hard packed snow or any type of icy surface. I tried it today and it ripped a gash in the bottom of the fuse by the step. Of course i should of thought about the thin fiberglass and hard icy snow but i didn't. When i fix it it will be reinforced with a thicker layer of fiberglass; maybe an area you guys should consider reinforcing.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:01 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I think I may try that Dubro spinner. I have about 1/8" gap to fill. I mounted my Saito 100 by using Skyventures basic idea of cutting off a portion of the mount. However I was able to use the existing hole in the fire wall rather than drill a new one. I found a shallow pan head 8-32 bolt to use in place of the hex head bolt. I then recessed the hole in the mount about 1/16" so the head of the pan head was flush with the mount face. I could then move the Saito 100 back far enough to get about 5 1/16" from the firewall to the thrust washer. This still give me about a 3/16" gap between the face of the cowl & the spinner back plate. Out of personal preference I mounted the engine inverted. I also used a flexible cable for the throttle rather than the provided push rod. Works much better. I also heeded warnings about drilling through the fuel tank and drilled the hatch prior to installing the tank. I also pressure checked the tank for leaks. I've had some bad luck in the past with factory-provided fuel tanks. Thanks to all for all the previous comments and suggestions. I'm sure I'll hit more speed bumps as I move along

Sign hanging in a store: "All unattended children will be given an expresso and a free puppy"
Old 02-27-2006, 11:56 PM

Am nearing the end of my SeaWind build. Attached the wings and noticed that there is a bit of vertical play in the channel to aluminum crossmember support interface in both wings. Was wondering if anyone else noticed this.

I pulled out the bailing contraption tonight. In the instructions, GP describes the operation of the ball seating into the rubber receiver, the ball 'floating' in water to make the seal. I dropped the ball in a glass of water. It sank!!!!! Is it worth installing this thing or just sealing the plane up well?

Jonathan
Old 02-28-2006, 11:03 PM

Can anybody measure the CG with a full tank if the plane is balanced at the instruction CG w/ empty tank?
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 PM

If anyone is flying with the OS .61, do you use the stock muffler or can you get a smaller one. How does is perform how do you start it inverted? I would like to go with the OS FS .91, but I have never used a four stroke. Understand I am new to this hobby, self taught, never even seen anyone else fly an R/C Aircraft except yours truly. I live on a lake with lots of room and learned how to fly off water. I would go to the local club but it’s about an hour forty five minutes from the house. Can anyone some up a good seawind configuration.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.