Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 11-14-2005, 01:52 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

Kev, I have used Flaps on many planes and I love them. I never bother to even look at what Mfgr's have to say in regards to them, I just go by this tried and true method:

Get some good altitude, SLOW DOWN, and deploy the flaps - but be ready to bring them back up if something goes wrong (It rarely does, but it's always good to err on the side of safety)

Then see how it flies. I have never mixed elevator into a flap, I just don't see the need. The plane may "balloon" right after deploying them, but that's to be expected, mixing in down elevator will just hinder the performance once it slows down.

Now make a lap or two with the flaps down just to get the feel for it. Be ready to add power if it get too sluggish. It doesn't take long to start loving them
Old 11-14-2005, 02:33 PM
khh1955

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OS .61fx users...
get out your weights!

I just balanced it (with the stock landing set up) and have found that I needed to add 12oz to the front!
I can't imagine what you guys using bigger & heavier engines are going to need!
I just hope that the OS.61fx is going to be enough power,this thing is weighing in at 12lb7oz total!
This is not a plane that I ever expected to be FAST,so as long as the .61 flies it comfortanly,I'll be happy!

Kurt
Old 11-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Too bad the OS61FX weighs the same as the .91FX. [&o]
Old 11-14-2005, 10:28 PM
khh1955

According to tower's specs...
the .61 fx w/muffler weighs 23.6oz,the .91fx 24.3 oz...
thats a 13oz difference...not alot,but it still adds up to putting more weight up front!

For now,since the .61 is in it & the plane is ready for its maiden flight...I'll try it out with this
set up...probably this weekend.
However,there is a chance that I'll be looking for a .91fx soon!

Kurt
Old 11-14-2005, 10:36 PM
khh1955

Oooops!
Sorry,its late & my brains not working...
the weight difference is more like .7oz.

Hmmmm...I guess I should have gotten the .91fx....da!

Kurt
Old 11-15-2005, 01:32 AM
seanychen

ORIGINAL: khh1955

OS .61fx users...
get out your weights!

I just balanced it (with the stock landing set up) and have found that I needed to add 12oz to the front!
I can't imagine what you guys using bigger & heavier engines are going to need!
I just hope that the OS.61fx is going to be enough power,this thing is weighing in at 12lb7oz total!
This is not a plane that I ever expected to be FAST,so as long as the .61 flies it comfortanly,I'll be happy!

Kurt
You might want to use APC 12x6 2-blade prop. That seems to give the best thrust on my TT .61 Pro.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 AM
jetlag

I flew mine this past weekend three times with the OS.61 mounted inverted. The aircraft is incredibly fast using an 11x7 three blade MA prop. The only real problem I encountered was the fuel that dripped continuously out of the carb. when the tank was full...most likely due to the siphon effect. The top of the fuse got stained pink nicely despite my wipe-off efforts. Therefore, the engine is now mounted sideways with the muffler on the bottom...have'nt tested it yet, but looks a lot better. Only had to cut a little out for head clearance and the muffler. I hope this will make the plane more user friendly and less damaging to the gel coat.
Anyone have any suggestions for removing the fuel stain other than cleaning and painting over?
Oh, Also, be sure and silicone seal the wing roots and canopy as per the usual method...I use saran wrap and aquarium silicone.
Plane likes to hop a little on landing; flaps might improve this (slower), but I have'nt tried this either.

Allen
Old 11-15-2005, 09:45 AM
Stevenhilton

Hmm I don't want the thing stained either. They call for the engine to be inverted in the instructions. Does it make a difference if you mount it right side up? Other than the obvious esthetecs?
What does the exhaust oil do to the gel coat as well?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:47 AM
Stevenhilton

Can you please explain the silicone on the wing roots further. Do you run a bead on the wing itself where it joins the fuselage and then bolt it in tight with a layer of saran wrap?
Old 11-15-2005, 09:48 AM
Stevenhilton

ORIGINAL: jetlag

The only real problem I encountered was the fuel that dripped continuously out of the carb. when the tank was full...most likely due to the siphon effect. The top of the fuse got stained pink nicely despite my wipe-off efforts.

Allen
I wonder if a coat of heavy duty auto wax prio to flight would stop the staining?
Old 11-15-2005, 01:03 PM
khh1955

Wonderful,
Am I glade to hear that a .61fx will fly this beautiful plane adaquetly!
At close to 12 1/2 lbs...I was getting a bit nervous about using the .61!

Its been really windy out here this week,so even though its ready to go...I've been holding off
flying it till the winds die down some....hopefully by saturday things will be right!

Just because my radio is computerized,I went ahead & set it up using both a R/A mix,and a F/E mix.
Anything I can do to make a plane fly easier/smoother is worth the effort!

I'll be flying off land for awhile,as our group of lake flyers won't be flying off water again till next spring...
nobody wants to get into cold water this time of year!

Kurt
Old 11-15-2005, 01:16 PM
PaulG-RC

Hi Kurt

Just curious, how cold does the water get in Santa Rosa Ca?
Here today we are having our first snowfall and tomorow up again to summer temp for 1 day, very odd.

My seawind is still on stand untouch waitting for servos and then I will start slowly.

Paul
Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 PM
jetlag

Kurt
Mine weighs in around 10.5 lbs, as I'm not using any landing gear, fixed or otherwise. 12.5 lbs might be a little much weight for this engine, but I can't say for sure. You're definitely at the upper end of the oz's/sq.ft. zone. The Seawind flies fast but then it needs to! As I said earlier, it does tend to skip across the water on landing if you come in hot.
Your takeoff ride might be tougher; this airplane does not like much chop at all in the water.
Allen
Old 11-15-2005, 02:20 PM
jetlag

Steven
Clearly, mounting an OS.61FX inverted on a Seawind will ruin the top of the fuse from the fuel siphoning. I imagine the idea to mount it inverted came from trying to keep as much mass close to the centerline of the airplane for 'better handling'. I have built several Ace Seamasters, and their engines (all 2-strokes) were all mounted at 90 degrees. Those planes fly fabulously (for Seamasters). Those engines, however, are forward of the cg, if that matters much here.
I have several YS 4-strokes mounted upside down and don't experience the fuel drippage, perhaps because of the supercharger/carb. design. I've not mounted an OS or other 4-stroke inverted, so I can't say if they would leak.
If I were you, and I wanted to keep the .61 in the plan, I'd mount it sideways...only the muffler is grossly visible, but a pitts muffler might blow all kinds of stuff at the fuse! Exhaust oil should not (did not on mine) harm the finish...I use Omega 15% and 30% heli fuel (mainly for the YS's) with no Castor oil, only synthetic.

As for the silicone solution at the wing tips, I fit an uncrinkled piece of Saran wrap completely over the wing root at the fuselage. Be sure to cut a slit for the spar and the used holes there, one each side for the sx wires and antirotation pins; make sure it's nice, smooth, and wrinkle-free...Take a wing and fairly liberally spread silicone on the root, run the wires through the fuse holes, and slide it down the spar up to the fuse...tighten the knurled knob down as if you are going flying...you want the sil. to squeeze out of the joint...wipe off excess...let dry for 24 hours. When you pull the wing back off, the saran will be sticking to the silicone...just gently peel it off. Wipe off gross exess with a rag...residual excess comes off easily once dry (or you could use a little lacquer thinner while the silicone is wet). Then Voila! The silcone stays with the wings and seals up next to the fuse nicely. Do the canopy similarly...that is, silicone on the canopy superstructure, Saran over the 'sealing foam' arond the opening on the fuse...attach as if your getting ready to fly it...leave it alone for 24 hours.
As for auto wax as a protectant, I'll try it. Perhaps a little compound on the area and some polishing elbow grease will remove some stain already there.
Allen
Old 11-15-2005, 03:53 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: khh1955

Oooops!
Sorry,its late & my brains not working...
the weight difference is more like .7oz.

Hmmmm...I guess I should have gotten the .91fx....da!

Kurt
According to OS engines web site ([link]http://www.osengines.com/engines/fx.html[/link]), the .61 is heavier than the .91...
IMHO, Tower numbers must be with muffler and I assume there that the .91's muffler is heavier than the .61's, but it is only an assumption...
Old 11-15-2005, 05:14 PM
seanychen

Yes, 91 FX muffler is heavier than 61 FX, as it has an extra "elogation" section, the shiny part.

As for mounting 4-strokes inverted, the reason why they don't drip is:

For OS, Magnum, Enya, and Saito, the carb opening faces up when engine is mounted inverted. So it won't drip. But it will fill up like a cup if you prime too much fuel into it.

For YS, although carb opening faces down when engine is mounted inverted, its active closed pressurized system prevents any fuel movement when the engine is not turning.

I don't know about the rest, like Laser or RCV.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:24 AM
khh1955

The time has finally arrived to take it out & give it a test flight(s) off the ground!
So tomorrow,I'll take it out,run some fuel thru it,do a quick range check,taxi it around some...
and if the wind isn't blowing too much...its off she goes!

I'll post the results tomorrow!
Kurt
Old 11-16-2005, 09:05 PM
khh1955

Somedays can be really brutal on us RC flyers!
Fortunately,I don't have days like that very often!

Today was a really GOOD DAY!

Got a new plane to fly,with a new engine & mostly new radio gear...
the sun was out,clear skies,no wind...what else could a guy ask for!

So I filled it up,primed it,hit it with the starter...ya got to love those OS fx engines...cranked up with the first try!
Did a quick range check,ran about 1/4 tank thru it...taxied it around some....everything looked good!

Lets go!!!!

My primary concern with this plane...was flying a 12 1/2 lb plane with an .61 sized engine...
my worries quickly disapated with one of the most graceful takeoffs that I've ever done!

WOW...is this plane one of the most smooth,gentle,stable flyers that I've ever flown!!!

The .61 was just right...I was crusing around at about 3/4 throttle most of the time.

Its flies like a dream...the approaches are very easy,but I did find that at 12 1/5 lbs...it takes a good part
of the runway(about 400 usuable feet at our club) to slow down! Our club site is on a hill
(actually,its a landfill surrounded by trees & schrubs etc...alot of things that ya don't want to have to land on)...
so landing some of the bigger/heavier planes can be like landing on a postage stamp!
Good thing we have a grass strip to bail out onto!

Guys...you're going to love the way this plane flies!!!

And the E/F mix that I put in sure made for some smooth loops...
the R/A mix made for very gentle turns!
I didn't try any rolls...as I know that a R/A mix can make for some rather barrelsome style rolls...maybe next time out!

If any of you GP guys are reading this post...all I can say is ....GREAT JOB GUYS

Kurt
Old 11-17-2005, 01:34 AM
PaulG-RC

Congradulation Kurt, thats great news and very encouraging, now I cant wait to fly mine .

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Stevenhilton

Unfortunately the water here is about to get rather hard so spring looks like the best bet. Sigh!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:55 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Same here, I just recieved one to review for RCU Magazine. and two days later we got snow!
Old 11-17-2005, 09:59 AM
jetlag

Kurt
I forgot if you said, but what prop did you use ? I used and an 11x7MA 3-bld on my OS .61FX. I, too, was happy with my flights (off water)...it was fairly fast at full throttle. You'll love landing that thing on the water...splash and goes with it are a blast.
Congrats on the maiden flight, sir!
Allen
Old 11-17-2005, 10:19 AM
khh1955

My plane is set up pretty much "stock" ...Os.61fx,ma 11/7 prop,stock wheels etc etc....it flies great!

I'm sorry to hear that you guys up north are "snowed in"...it must be painfull to have such
a beautiful plane,but nowhere to fly it!

Hey,how about some ski's...a Seawind on ski's...that might be cool!

Kurt
Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 AM
PaulG-RC

I dont think skis would be needed, it should fly off the belly like my North Star.
I may just try it on snow .

Paul
Old 11-17-2005, 10:27 AM
Stevenhilton

I would be worried that the cold would cause cracking on the fuse. I have a Neptune 40 which I will land on the snow so I am good to go! This is a rather expensive plane for me so I plan to baby it a bit.
My father in law actualy had purchased the real deal before he passed away. The seawind was originaly built in Haliburton Ontario before being sold to the US firm that has the rights to it now. The site where it was built is now a Funeral Home.
His son sold the plane (kit) after his death but I have the original hand carved model that came with the plane when he ordered it as well as an original Seawind Hat.
A member of our club worked for the Seawind Company and developed the prototype which sea trialed on Eagle Lake in Haliburton.
I saw the prototype at the WOrld's fair in Vancouver in the 80's hanging from the ceiling of the Ontario Pavillion. I have several pictures of the original as well so I ain't about to crack this one up on the ice. Too much history there.
Steve

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.