Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
 Great Planes Seawind >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 11-18-2005, 12:12 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

Has anyone flown the Seawind off land with the fixed gear?

How does it handle off grass?

If using a 4 stroke, do you need to use a remote glow starter?

Thanks,

Phil
Old 11-18-2005, 11:51 PM

ORIGINAL: flying_phil

Has anyone flown the Seawind off land with the fixed gear?

How does it handle off grass?

If using a 4 stroke, do you need to use a remote glow starter?

Thanks,

Phil
If you mount your 4-stroke inverted, then a short glow head would work without a remote starter. Long head would cause the glow ignitor to jam with the wing or the fin. If the 4-stroke is a Saito, which has the plug veering sideway a little, a long glow ignitor may just clear the fin.

The video has it flown off land.

http://video1.hobbico.com/gallery/gpma1360-deluxe.mpg
Old 11-20-2005, 11:24 AM

Paint Modification / Addition: I'd like to paint the bottom of the Seawind hull and the float tips to match one of the 2 blue or green stripes on the fusealge. Too much white for my taste. Any recommendation on paint type / manufacturer and painting preparation and procedure would be appreciated!
Old 11-20-2005, 03:19 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Seeing as how the engine is so far back, you won't have too much problem with fuel getting at it. So you could theoretically use just about anything. I would be tempted to go with Krylon.

But my preference for fuel-proof paint is 21st Century
Old 11-20-2005, 09:24 PM

Hi, I also have my seawind ready to fly and am taking in all you guys have said, might do some mods befor I fly. I have fitted an OS 91FX with a Master 13 x 8 3 blade, and a home made in-cowl muffler that looks great and weights a lot less than the std muffler.(see pics in my hanger) will post more pics next time I remove the cowl. I have added about the same as everyone else has to the nose and am keeping it as a dedicated sea plane. Just hope it flys as good as it looks
Old 11-20-2005, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: gmgeeman

Hi, I also have my seawind ready to fly and am taking in all you guys have said, might do some mods befor I fly. I have fitted an OS 91FX with a Master 13 x 8 3 blade, and a home made in-cowl muffler that looks great and weights a lot less than the std muffler.(see pics in my hanger) will post more pics next time I remove the cowl. I have added about the same as everyone else has to the nose and am keeping it as a dedicated sea plane. Just hope it flys as good as it looks
Hello,

Can you measure how much clearance you have between your 13x8 3-blade prop and the wing top? I am trying to see if a 14" prop will fit without scraping the wing. Thanks
Old 11-21-2005, 01:26 AM

sorry, but a 14 in prop won't clear, os suggest a 14 x 7 3 blade for the 91FX but I had to go to a 13 x 8 3 blade and have about 7/16in clearance
Old 11-21-2005, 07:54 AM

ORIGINAL: gmgeeman

sorry, but a 14 in prop won't clear, os suggest a 14 x 7 3 blade for the 91FX but I had to go to a 13 x 8 3 blade and have about 7/16in clearance

Doh, the clearance is 1/16" too short for a 14" prop.[:'(]
Old 11-21-2005, 11:37 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Doh, the clearance is 1/16" too short for a 14" prop.
Trim 1/8" off the tips of the 14" prop.

Jim
Old 11-21-2005, 01:23 PM

Well, if we account for prop flex, which will bend the tip forward, there is going to be even less clearance. So I think 13" is good. Is there only MA 13x8 3-blade? Not much selection for 3-blade, is there? Great prop for Saito 100.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:44 PM

I've just broken in a Thunder Tiger .91 4 stroke and they recommend a 12x8-3 blade. My seawind is due here in 2 weeks.

Phil
Old 11-21-2005, 02:57 PM

Hey Phil,

You can also try the Graupner 12.5 x 7 3-blade for your TT .91 4-stroke. It's about the same load as 12x8 3-blade, but should give more thrust, at a slower speed.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 PM

I just stumbled across the Jett engine website and looked at the spec for their new BSE .76L. It looks like a great light weight application for the Sea Wind.

BSE .76L R/C with muffler** AAC
14x4W
15.2 oz including the new lite-Jett muffler
$325.00

http://www.jettengineering.com/engines/bse40.html

The power is almost that of .91 4-stroke, weighing 1/2 lb. less. Should help the balance and wing loading. The head should fit inside the cowl sideway, with the black mini pipe sticking out @ the bottom. This may just be the ticket for this plane, costing about the same as the plane (after discount).
Old 11-23-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Has anyone had a problem with the throttle pushrod being too short?
Old 11-23-2005, 11:14 PM

can't help, didn't use supplied pushrod, I used a bowden cable
Old 11-24-2005, 12:39 AM

I bit the bullet today and made the purchase. Now just a matter of deciding what engine to go with this boat... with wing.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

Still haven't heard of anyone using the supplied gear. I plan on trying it off grass.

Phil
Old 11-26-2005, 12:07 PM

The supplied throttle pushrod wasn't even close for me. I couldn't see anyway that it would work for any other engine configuration. I used another piece of pushrod I had lying around. I got mine all put in. Put the servo and mount in to make sure I could get all of the binding out and went to install the fuel tank. Had to pull the servo and part of the standoff to get the tank in. Got to learn to follow the directions in the right order.

Can you get the servo extension plugs to slide through the tubes?

Kev
Old 11-26-2005, 05:22 PM

Hey you guys,

Well, just when to the LHS and had a look at the Seawind I ordered. Yes, you guys were correct. 1. The Canopy is broken! It is only made of plexiglas and is not protected in shipping. Should be glass considering it is painted all white and black for the window area. 2. The fuselage is broken at the chines. No packaging again. 3. The bulkheads are 90% all coming loose. No fibreglass reinforcement to attach them and so they just come off and the back bulkhead is broken. The only thing that is holding them in place is thickmix. 4. As for the nose gear, I ordered the Robarts and I will attempt to make a hatch for the nosegear, to open and close so it can be use for land to sea or sea to land if that is the only problem. The gear enclosure looks to be water tight. 5. The same foam wheels come with the kit. The foam wheels that go flat on one side at night. :-) Come on, give us some good ones for a change. 6. As far as the finish, looks great as usual! 7. Major problem appears to be that Great Planes have been too eager to get it to market... They should next time advertise later for all the new ones coming out and deliver on time with all the bugs ironed out. Makes a much happier consumer. I had this ordered for some time now( the first day the ad came out) and after seeing the plane in the box, well between the packaging and workmanship, too bad for all!

PS: Why doesn't Great Planes send the kits out to 20 or so consumers first and get a first impression. Then see how much damage is done in shipping, etc. Good luck to all! :-)

Roy
Old 11-27-2005, 01:58 AM
My Feedback: (6)

My canopy was cracked (split) all the way down too![:@]

Gunny
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 AM

My canopy was broken too. Just a corner piece, but when I emailed Tower they backordered a replacement for me for no cost. I'm going to fix the one I have and have a spare. Don't know how it will turn out. I inspected the body and didn't find much damage, but I just noticed the cowling is cracked in several pieces. Quite usable though, so I think I will use it. I don't think I will use the cowling for a while. Still, it looks like there is a big problem with shipping. I'm just glad the main body is in good shape.

I just installed the retract in the wing yesterday. Its going to be cool. My first experience with retracts.

Kev
Old 11-27-2005, 10:29 AM

[] Hookedonairplanes and others,

What is with Great Planes and their Chinese builders / shippers? You'd think by now they would be getting a clear message that there are production and shipping problems with the Seawind. I checked out a Seawind at my LHS awhile ago and also found a damaged canopy and loose bulkheads. We concluded the canopy was damaged during shipping due to an insufficient amount of bubble wrap. One would think that's a fairly simple problem to correct? And what is "thickmix" adhesive anyway? Don't even tell me it's a type of hot melt glue! That must be the reason for all the loose bulkheads I found.

Anyway I decided to wait until Great Planes could correct the problems but it doesn't look like its happend, yet. I can think of some reasons why the Seawind keeps selling though. The Seawind's "cool" factor makes it a "must have item" and people are willing to put up with production / shipping problems and buyers are unaware of this chat forum. Does this make any sense?

It also appears that Great Planes is bending over backwards to keep Seawind buyers / owners happy by replacing broken parts. That's great but let's fix the initial problems GP so we don't all have to go through this tremendous frustration. GP has to be aware of these problems since they're replacing parts. Maybe it's just taking an inordinate amount of time to correct the problems? Has anyone out there contacted GP President Don Anderson? Well at this point I think I will attempt to contact Mr. Anderson and see if we can try and get some closure on these issues. Come to think of it maybe the more unsatisfied customers GP President Don Anderson hears from, the faster these problems will be corrected? After all, the Seawind is one great seaplane and we'd all like to see it for a long time to come.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:01 PM
My Feedback: (69)

I have one that is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. I post info about it's condition. It better be ok, I have all their numbers on speed dial.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:56 PM

Hi there,

Thick-mix is when you mix epoxy or polyester resin with a thicking agent and then you call it, "thick-mix". This is what you called in the FRP industry. I have been in it for about 35 years and my other area of expertise is pattern making, etc.

Anyway, other then packing the canopy in bubble wrap and real problem is that it really should have been FRP. Considering it is completely painted. As matter of fact, a little silly to paint 100% of the clear acrylic. Why not leave the window clear???? Maybe even should have been polycarbonate so it would have had a better survival rate and then get rid of the reinforcement inside the canopy.

Oh well, we will have to see what the LHS will do for pricing, won't we? :-) I do not want to have to repair an arf, considering it is an ARF!

Roy
Old 11-27-2005, 08:37 PM

Hi all, my canopy was broken also, tower are supplying one free,but, has been on back order since 28/10, as mine will be a dedicated seaplane I have removed all forward bulkheads (was not hard to remove them, not held in by much) and am glassing bottom and sides of hull,thought glass and carbon fibre a better ballast than lead shot, will replace bulkheads with new ones when glassing finished with mounts for radio gear in the nose,am hoping to remove the 12 oz it required altogether

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.