Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
 Great Planes Seawind >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 11-28-2005, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

Hi all again,

The real story is that I bought an ARF and expected to have a perfect Sea plane with no catches. If I wanted to do repairs, such as bulkheads, fibreglass work, cowling and chines, etc, etc etc. I would have bought a kit. period.[&o] Now they have our money and now how long will we have to WAIT again. HOW LONG?????? I order this about...3 months again or so... Can't remember? So, will they ever take any advise? Will I be able to speak with Mr. Don Anderson himself? We shall see.

Roy[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

PS: These little icons work great to ease the pain of other word replacements!
Old 11-28-2005, 09:34 AM

My plane came with no damage at all except for a few missing parts (minor but I figured I would ask for them as the price of the plane is rather high) which arrived 5 days after I emailed them. I will be inspecting the bulkheads though and am glad I found this forum. What is the recommendded fix? Epoxy?
Old 11-28-2005, 09:51 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, if the formers are separated from the fiberglass, use epoxy to fix
Old 11-28-2005, 11:55 AM

What was missing? Was it the canopy? Where the sides met the bottom, on the sharp edge, is there a crack on the edge? Flex the sides a little and see if the sharp corner opens up. Just flex a little that is!

Roy
Old 11-28-2005, 11:58 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The real story is that I bought an ARF and expected to have a perfect Sea plane with no catches.
That's not realistic. No ARF is perfect. An ARF is a partially built kit. Just because somebody else did the first 80% of the assembly does not mean that you don't have to take normal care in finishing it. If you just close your eyes and accept the work that has already been done, you are relying on the skills and motivation of somebody you don't even know.

Jim
Old 11-28-2005, 12:29 PM

I understand what you are saying. What I meant by that statement is that at least the work that was done should be correct. When all the bulkheads come out, including the servo tray, this is not what I expected. Sure I have had kits with parts that were not 100% complete but what was done, was done correctly. This was not the case. I guess, considering all the problems with this particular kit, it just adds up to be a bigger deal then I have ever dealt with before. Even the 1/3 Pitts I bought had a canopy problem, which was resolved by replacement. It was the same material as the Seawind. Very brittle! But I am happy with it. This kit however, just got under my skin, with all the short comings. Even the packaging could have been better. I have about 10 arfs of GP's and this is the first one that has let me down, considering the long wait, etc.

Roy
Old 11-28-2005, 01:03 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I guess you pushed one of my buttons.

Great Planes has certainly been doing some interesting and creative things recently, but it sounds like they got a bit ahead of their manufacturing and packaging capabilities with this one.

Jim
Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 PM

I, too, considered pulling all those bulkheads out, but held off until I was finished to check the balance. I still had to add about 14oz. of weight to the nose and was using no LG (purely a water plane). Also, once reinforced with a little epoxy (mabey lots) the bulkheads do add some better structure to the front. You may be better served using basswood or balsa strips to reinforce the 'open' sides and floor under the canopy...the only reinforcement there is the right-angle turn the fiberglass makes just under the canopy. A few slaps on the water may damage this area...then to fix and refinish would be a real pain! Just my 2 pennies!

Allen

I, also, suffered damage to the canopy and bottom of hull on shipment...this was the THIRD plane sent, as the others were very badly damaged.
Tower was great with their customer service, though. Thank goodness I'm nothing if not patient!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:47 AM

Very sad to read about those damage seawinds.
I also had a cracked canopy and also found cracks at the top of the stab and vertical fin.
I will also re-enforce the inside even if mine seems to be ok at all the seems.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:59 AM

Paul
I would agree that the reinforcement mods are necessary. A pity GP seemed to have been in too big a hurry to get this to market. All the mods do not 'use up' much weight, especially when you consider most folks are using large motors to fly the Seawind. I'm using the OS.61 and no gear and still approaching 12 lbs. I said earlier it was about 10.5lbs, but I reweighed it with a better scale. It flies fabulously. Mounted the engine upside down, as instructed, but encountered too many problems. Switched it around 90 degrees (sideways) and the problems went away.

Allen
Old 11-29-2005, 10:06 AM

Hi Allen
Agree, I also will be installing engine at 90 deg, using an OS .91surpass II with pump, I will also install the fuel tank in the fuselage at the CG to reduce the flying weight as much as I can.
I may also install the rudder servo in the nose too.
I dont intend to fly it off the ground so I will save on weight there too.

Paul
Old 11-29-2005, 10:15 AM

No major parts missing just the blind nuts (4) washers (8) a set screw an allen key and the foam tape for the coxkpit seal which doesn't stick to the glass worth a darn. Any suggestions on the tape isse would be appreciated. I will flex the body a bit tonight but the formers seem to be attached to the glass fine. Going to do a detailed inspection though before I finish it. I have mounted the engine and glued the horizontal stabs on as well as preped the gas tank but thats as far as I have got. Winters coming so I should have more time although we have a heated clubhouse and a plowed driveway .
I also have a Neptune 40 which flys well off the snow. A guy in our club just converted his Neptune to a electric and it lands great although it taxies like a Monster truck.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:23 AM

I also did a good check on the formers and they are there to stay no problem there. also the seams are well overlaped but I will still add another layer of glass on the inside as I find the fuselage a bit on the weak side. I will also use pink foam and make a plug on the inside and install the fuel tank in it. lots of time to work on it so no rush.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:29 AM

Where in canada are you. we could get a contingent together in the spring.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:33 AM

Im in ile Bizard just west of Montreal
Old 11-29-2005, 10:46 AM

Well maybe a trip to la belle provence is in the cards. Shoot me I speak English only[&o]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:47 AM

Actually my wifes Maid of honour lives there I think we could do a roadtrip this summer as they won't want me hanging around.[>:]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:52 AM

Good one
I do have a good spot to fly off water and during the week its very quiet.
On weekends it very busy so I stay away from there.
The water condition is best from May to end of june after it gets full of weeds and makes it hard to taxi.
So I go to another area in Ile Perrot there too its nice but water level in late july gets low and rocks starts showing up.[:@]
Old 11-29-2005, 10:57 AM

I live north of Toronto (1 hour) and we have some great lakes to fly off so if you ever plan a trip down let me know
Old 11-29-2005, 11:01 AM

Sounds good
I use to go to the Oshawa waterbirds float fly every year from 1986 to 1997 the we started get some here too and at the same date, I do miss the gang at Darlington.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:07 AM

Great its 40 minuites from my place. Let me know when it is.
I will email my contact info.
Old 11-29-2005, 11:08 AM

email sent
Old 11-29-2005, 12:14 PM

Glass in the bulkheads! If you don't, you will be doing it later. 1" wide tape is suffice.

Roy
Old 11-29-2005, 12:25 PM

Thanks Roy, I will do that for shure, better be safe then sorry. []
Old 11-29-2005, 01:52 PM

Steven
The sealing tape mounts to the canopy edges on the fuselage, not the canopy itself (make sense?). Wipe the edges clean beforehand, of course...I use laquer thinner.
It sticks well after that. After you're done, use liquid silicone to seal canopy and wings to the airplane (tighten the wings down)...be sure to use saran wrap to keep the silicone off the fuse at all three locations. The plane won't leak a drop afterwards when all these surfaces mate again!
Allen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.