Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
 Great Planes Seawind >

Great Planes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Great Planes Seawind

Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Seawind

Also, be sure not to pull or stretch the foam tape as you're applying it or it will pull up in the corners overnight (And yes, I'm talking from experience)
Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nvm

Old 11-29-2005, 03:59 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Gentlemen, Please use the Private Message (PM) feature to discuss having a get-together and keep this thread on topic. Thank you.
Old 11-30-2005, 11:17 AM

Just Wondering...Anyone think a 12x6 three blade (OS.61FX) will give me a little better performance on the Seawind as opposed to the 11x7 three blade I was using? I got decent perf from the 11x7 (12,500rpm on 30%heli fuel), but was hoping to get a little more thrust for better authority on water takeoff.
thanks
Allen
Old 11-30-2005, 11:41 AM

My TT 61 Pro swings APC 13x4W @ close to 12500 rpm. It's much better thrust than APC 11x7 on the same engine. You can give it a try. Top speed is estimated 50 mph if you can live with that.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:45 AM
My Feedback: (69)

Well, mine arrived with only minor damage to the canopy. Everything else is fine. No loose formers, stress cracks or anything else of note. I assume GP/Tower will replace it.

See here;
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...tm.htm#3614619

A question: Has anyone actually put the retracts in this plane yet? I want to do that, but given the cost, I really want to be sure of what I am doing. I live on water (well, ice at the moment) so the whole seaplane thing is of great interest.

"Keep on post'n"
Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 AM

I want to thank everyone in this forum. After reading through the Seawind issues, I took another look at mine and sure enough one of the formers was not glued to the fiberglass. I have the elevater on and the rudder and notice I am missing more parts. I think I will do the LHS to get what I need.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 AM

Well I installed the OS 91 Surpass II with pump, on it now is a 13x8 MAS prop until I receive my 12.5x7 which is the engine recomended prop.
The screw holding the spinner was too long so I had to find a shorter one.
I also did a stress test on the formers and my are very strong but I will still go over them with extra glass ,not too much but enough.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67352.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	365281   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72873.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	365282  
Old 12-05-2005, 11:34 AM

Wow, not a lot of clearance with your 13" diameter prop. It's like 1/16" clearance is it? Well, you might want to manually flex your prop forward to make sure that under flex it will not hit the wing top, as it appears the wing top gets taller as it goes forward.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:42 AM

I have 1/2 in clearance with the 13x8 but I wont use that prop its only on for the looks at this time.
I will use a 12.5x7 3 blade.
I dont think there would be a problem with the 13 in I tried forcing the pod foward and with a slight bend foward I still clear . As for the wing top that should not change its really the pod that would likely flex foward, still the prop for the OS 91 is the 12.5x7 3 blade.
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 AM

Steven,

I just received by Seawind on Saturday. After reading the horror stories in this forum for the past several weeks I was apprehensive about my purchase. While inspecting the entire plane with a fine tooth comb, I found only the rear former on the canopy was loose, everything else was perfect. In looking at your attached picture I noticed you side mounted your engine rather tha inverting it. Did you have to redrill the engine mount holes or compensate for the thrust line change?

thanks,

Phil
Old 12-05-2005, 11:50 AM

No Phil the mount that came with it has oval mounting holes and I was able to adjust it perfectly, I do prefer having the engine side mounted, looks better and runs better.
I will also have the fuel tank in the fuse at the CG, the engine should run ok with the pump.
I will also have the receiver and a 1100 bat pack as foward in the nose as needed to save on nose weight.

Paul
Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 PM

ORIGINAL: MinnFlyer

Also, be sure not to pull or stretch the foam tape as you're applying it or it will pull up in the corners overnight (And yes, I'm talking from experience)
Thanks I stripped the tape off and cleaned it with Alcohol then reapplied it and it worked out fine. Rudder and elevator on this weekend and just one more trip to the LHS as the set screw for the rudder is missing. Looking like a plane now!
Old 12-05-2005, 04:13 PM

Wow, am I glad I was able to pick up my Seawind at LHS for less than $300 and not risk the additional shipping damage.

You got 1/2" clearance w/ the 13" prop? Well, I might be tempted to try the APC 13.4 x 13.75 3-blade (very high pitch prop) and get the new OS 120 AX for it. I am used to the power-to-weight ratio of 3D planes, and the way this Seawind looks a 91-size engine on a 10.5 lb. plane won't get very good vertical. On the other hand, high-pitch prop doesn't lend itself too well to a slow landing. So I've gotta find some balance.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM

Hi guys, I think the prop clearance problem is not that the prop flexes forward but of the pod flexing down where it blends into fuz. Mine flexes to the point where you can see the rudder lifting at the back lower corner, am strengthing the bulkhead at the front edge of the pod to stop the top of the fuz flexing. I am also still waiting for my new canopy, have you guys received replacements?
Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 PM

Still waiting for my canopy, but for now I did fix mine but the cracks still show.
Paul
Old 12-05-2005, 08:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Augie 11 mentioned in his post to watch the lateral balance when side mounting. Did you find a balance problem? Also can your engine pump fuel all the way from the fuselage back up to the engine pod? That's a long way!

Phil
Old 12-05-2005, 09:01 PM

During the breakin I lowered the tank very low and it worked fine but I did'nt have the plane yet , this will be a bit lower so I will have to give it a try.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:50 AM
My Feedback: (69)

Tower told me yesterday that they were out of stock on the canopies and it would be toward the end of Dec for a replacement for me. But I just got my Seawind at the end of last week and notified them of the damage yesterday, so you guys might already have your's on route. Knock on wood.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:17 AM

I still have yet to receive my canopy, and it's been about 5 weeks. Sorry to hear it may be late December before I get one.

You folks that are installing the tank at the cg, I'll be interested to know if that makes much difference in the weight you still need in front to balance, and if engine reliability is affected.

To the fellow installing a 1.20: you sure the plane can take that kind of power for much time? Overkill's great, but you may cause damage to the gel coat around the pod as it flexes under that much power; plus I would think prop selection might be challanging, as you can barely get 13 inches of diameter...would not the engine be prone to overrevs?
Just wondering. Mine flies quite well with the standard OS .61 and a 12x7 prop. The Seawind is not a 3D plane.

Allen
Old 12-06-2005, 08:32 AM

I would also worry about being overpowered on the Seawind.
I found another crack at the base of the vertical fin at the trailling edge of it, I simply pressed on it and injected some CA now it ok.
The problem is that crack was not visible until I pressed on the fuselage. []
Im starting to worry now about the strenght of the fiberglass fuse especially if there is flexing of the pod from engine thrust it might just crack even more at the base of the fin.
Plus there is no former past the last big one and with a fin that large its shure to flex somehow, especially if one decides to do some aerobatics. [X(]

Paul
Old 12-06-2005, 08:57 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Paul,

Most planes are designed to flex in certain areas. This keeps the loaded bits from snapping. I would call or email GP before making any changes to the basic design of the plane.

If you do contact them, please post what they say. I won't receive mine for another week. When I do I'll post here if I see any issues.

Mark M.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:09 AM

I understand that certain areas would be design for that but were the crack appeared thats not good, it should be allowed to bend slightly but not crack, now if it cracks like that and the cracks are not visible until you slightly press on the glass, water would then get in and be absorb by the inner lines of the fiber thus weakening it more.
The Seawind I have is for a review so I am in contact with them.
Most of the big problems are not present in mine like loose formers and seams overlap but did get a slightly cracked canopy and upper fin at the trailing edge of the stab.
I work on it very slowly and carefully watching for more snags.
Also the screw holding the spinner was too long so I needed to find a shorter one.[] that was not easy.

Paul
Old 12-06-2005, 09:14 AM

Can you not cut the prop screw. I have the same issue.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:16 AM

Putting together a model for a review is touchy since you still want to modify areas that you feel need improvments but the company needs to be advise as to why it has been done.
Like I feel that the hul needs to be re-enforce as it seems very weak, I want to reposition the fuel tank to avoid dead weight in the nose.
I also notice that the baterry and receiver are not totally at the most foward position that would also reduce the dead weight.
If too many problems shows up in the model being reviewed they will decide if its a go no go.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.