Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

G&P Sales PBY-5A Catalina

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

G&P Sales PBY-5A Catalina

Old 09-07-2005, 03:22 PM
Newc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default G&P Sales PBY-5A Catalina

I'm an avid lake flier and am now considering a winter project of the G&P Sales Catalina PBY-5A in either the 81" or the 104" size and would be most interested in anyone's experiences, opinions, etc. regarding these kits.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:19 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: G&P Sales PBY-5A Catalina

I have seen the little one ..in fact I have it on video (8mm camcorder...)...somewhere. Looked gorgeous, but sat too low in the water. The props sucked up the spray, preventing the engines from reaching full power..
Old 09-07-2005, 05:39 PM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but I’ve yet to see a “scale” PBY perform well, in any size
The scale tip floats are very small and like nony said, they sit too low in the H2O

It’s a beautiful plane, it just doesn’t lend itself to modeling well
Old 09-17-2005, 02:17 PM
teemto

My Catalina is sitting pretty much down in the water too, but there's no big deal to get her on the step and finally to the air. The trick is to operate properly with elevator. First keep it full up to avoid nose sinking while gently throttling up, then gently release elevator up to neutral, and finally when the speed builds up, again add a little elevator up.

Here is a thread about my Catalina. There's a link to a short video with takeoff too:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3265383/tm.htm

Old 09-23-2005, 02:38 PM
jaka

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi!
I too have the Kyosho PBY Catalina and it sure is a nice flier.
Mine is powered by two OS .15 LA engines and those give almost too much power,certainly so when the model is in the air.

The problem with most scale airplanes is that they tend to be built too heavy.
So it is vital that they are built light and not powered with too heavy and powerful engines. "Flying on the wing" is they main goal to achieve for all scale airplanes as I see it...not power them with too heavy, powerful engines...Throttle down is no option if you want to have a good flying scale airplane! Instead choose the correct size of engine from the start.
Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48367.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	328262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av70137.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	328263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ye84116.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	328264   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nh12596.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	328265  
Old 09-24-2005, 03:03 PM
teemto

jaka -

- by the way - did You ever try to fly Your Catalina off snow in the winter ??
Old 09-25-2005, 12:44 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

When it comes to PBY's bigger is better. I got the 104" model from G&P, the water handling on the video looks pretty good. I have yet to even start building mine.
Old 09-25-2005, 04:12 AM
Newc

Scale dail - What engines are you planning to use? I have had no experience with twins, so want reliability above all - especially since I really dislike deadsticks over water! Would like the sound of twin four-strokes, but have a lot more experience with two-stroke engines.

The plane is reported to be about 23# and the suggested engines from the Bill are either .61 two-stroke or 91 four-stroke. Since OS has the 91 and it's basically the same weight as the 61, I would probably lean toward this if I go with two-stroke. If four-stroke is the way I went, I would think that the Saito 100 would be a good fit for the plane, again since it's about the same weight as their 91. I would also consider the YS 110 for the increased power.

Questions are: Which engines would you suggest and why? With that engine, what three-bladed prop do you recommend? Any other comments greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2005, 07:49 AM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Hi;Has anyone seen a spare Kyosho Cat laying around?Was one on the Buy&sell some time ago but shipping from E coast to midwest was high,Nice to find a NIB would be easier to ship!
Old 09-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Newc

I would think that those of you who wish to discuss the Kyosho planes might be better off with a new thread instead of one that has as a title "G&P Sales PBY-5A Catalina". You are likely to get more hits and responses that way.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:12 PM
moodier
My Feedback: (1)

Sorry to have invaded your post!!Won't happen again!!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:16 PM
scale dail

When I start to build the 104'' PBY I am planing on using YS.63's. the G&P video shows the prototype model flying on 2-stroke .60,s with power to spare. the full size PBY's are very slow and took a long time to clear the water. I want mine to fly as scale as posible. there are other planes to do loops and rolls with!
Old 09-27-2005, 05:23 PM
Newc

Scale dail - While I respect your desires for a scale appearing TO, do you really think that the YS .63s will be enough for a 23# plane coming off the water? My experience is that more engine is needed than that, and Bill Price even recommends .91s if using 4-strokes. One of my water planes is an 80" Midwest Citabria. It has a .91 Saito, which is about perfect when it's on wheels, but not really enough when on floats. I admit that in the case of the Citabria the floats are causing a lot of extra drag when airborne, but I would think that going to the YS 100s might be a better choice if using YS engines, or at least .91s if Saito. One can always elect not to use all the throttle, but if the engine isn't there when you want it pushing the left stick all the way forward won't help.

Just my thoughts.

Do you have experience with the YS engines? I don't, so maybe I'm wrong but it might be a good question to put on the YS forum?
Old 09-27-2005, 11:28 PM
scale dail

Well that's the currant plan. I always considered that the YS.63's were equal to the typical .60 two stroke. I want the twin four stroke sound, but not a big cylinder sticking out of the cowls. based on the video it should be enough. I bought the retracts too, so the first flights will be off a runway. I have so many projects ahead of this one that who knows what engines will come out in the next couple years?? hmmm... maybe miniature R-1830's
Old 09-27-2005, 11:57 PM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

You are going to be limited on prop size by clearance issues, so that may limit engine sizes unless you go with 3 blade props. Consider that the props are probably going to see water until it gets up on the step....this really bogs the engines down, and prevents them from reaching anywhere near full RPM. In the example I gave above, it prevented the PBY from getting on the step. ...This was a problem on the full size one under certain conditions...they would leave huge trails of water spray in their wakes from the props resulting in one or two mile - long take off runs
Old 09-30-2005, 11:17 PM
scale dail

Sounds good to me! now that's scale! who cares how it flies, it just has to look good!
Old 10-02-2005, 09:44 PM
acrojack202

Last year about this time I was asking the same question. I really wanted to build a PBY and seriously considered the G&P 81" version. I talked with Bill Price (whom I haven't been able to reach lately) and he mentioned the narrow hull problems of the PBY and recommended the Canadair CL215, also an 81" size. On that advice, I got the Canadair, completed it by eary summer and have had several successful flights.

With respect to the kit ... well, its a builder's kit. Lots of hours and lots of room for innovation. Nonetheless, it came out pretty well and lokks and flies well. Its ended up around 14 lbs, with about 9oz of ballast in the nose. I fly from a lake that's at 6000 ft elevation, and with a wing loading of about 36oz/sq ft, and a lot of water drag, I was concerned about getting airborne. So, I used two Saito 82 4-strokes. Well, when I hit the throttles, I was airborne in about 20 ft and climbing at 45 deg like the proverbial rocket ship. Not too scale, I'd say.

With more judicious throttle application, I got better takeoffs, but its way overpowered. I suspect Saito 65's would have been more than adequate. In level flight, at slow, scale-like speeds, I'm about two clicks off idle. I haven't had enough experience with it yet to have decent landings. Always seem to be too hot and porpoise a lot. But I'm going to enjoy practicing.

Speaking of the Saito's, the 82's are fantastic engines - easy starting, smooth, great idle and most important, ultra-reliabe.

Good Luck, Jack
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34708.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	333032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86716.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	333033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37237.jpg
Views:	64