Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes Seawind

Community
Search
Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Nitroplanes Seawind

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 10:18 PM
truevine77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitroplanes Seawind

Hi guys

In your opinion which engine would be better to fly the Seawind? a Supertiger .90 2 stroke or 4 stroke? Cost not an issue.

Thanks
Old 01-09-2007, 10:35 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd recommend the 4 stroke. 1) More power makes the seawind harder to take off. 2) You will need the torgue of the four stroke to spin the 3 blade prop. 3) All of the ST 90's I've had were serious shakers. Heavy vibration will crack that nice glass fuselage before you know it.

Jim
Old 01-10-2007, 09:04 AM
CKS

It only need a 60two stroke. Personally, i refuse to own a four stroke, too many moving parts. Also since I fly off saly water, imagine the condition of a four stroker after a few flights. I use Tower engines. Generis; cheap and a joy to run and replace. I have an OS 60 in mine, left over from my pre-tower days.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:42 PM
truevine77

Thanks CKS & JRF and anyone else that answers.

I also plan on flying off salt water. How do you seal the cockpit from water infiltration and still have access to remove wings. By the way, I ordered a ST .90 with the quiet muffler - does that attenuate the vibrations? I've read a review that says it cuts the power a bit.

I'm concerned about noise - that's why I was asking about the 4 stroke. I have the chance to pick up a used one cheap.

Thanks for being patient with all the newbie questions.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
CKS

I have no experience with four strokes, but as in two strokes. reducing the noise (by increasing the back pressure in the muffler) won'tchange the vibration lev But you heard correctly, you will lose a bit of power. An un balanced prop is what you have to look out for in that regard. As for seling the cockpit, I'll use the included sealing strip. My RX and battery will be in a 'Strong Box' so a little water in side won't be a prolen. What body of salt water do you fly from?
Old 01-10-2007, 11:18 PM
truevine77

I'm in CT and I'm planning to fly off the many harbors, marinas and inlets that we have from New Haven to Stamford. I'll join a club for all the benefits that come with that - but I'd also like the freedom to just fly off the calmer inlets and harbors.

I'm already wondering if the engine & quite muffler are going to be quiet enough or if I'll have to go the much more expensive route of going electric. (I didn't because of the volatility of the more advanced batteries - not to mention the added expense).

If however thats the price to pay for that freedom to fly then I'd do it - just second-guessing myself now.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:50 AM
CKS

Must be nice up there in summer, I'm in Bermuda and it's gonna' 'cool off' to 55F tonight..... It's been my experience that those who don't want to see RC models flying around, will use noise as an excuse. The noise in no more than the average lawn mower, so just go with it and see how it goes. I don't do electric for the same reason; RC is expencive enough without adding to it.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:24 AM
truevine77

CKS - you're being very nice

CT cannot compare to the pristine beauty of Bermuda - you're gonna make me pine away for Belize - that's where I was born and raised. Eventually and hopefully soon - I'll be flying and Caye hopping of the reefs.

Now let me trip and imagine that in a full scale Seawind[8D]

Can you post of a pic of your Seawind?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 AM
CKS

Thank you, but 'NICE' is what we 'Bermies' are all about. I don't know much about posting pictures n' all that. Better I send it e-mail directly to you; that I know how to do. i want to semi-retire some where further some some time in the next few years, but you keep dreaming.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:00 PM
jrf

truevine:

Some of your posts have led me to ask; how much R/C airplane experience do you have? Forgive me if that question is out of line, but the answer will have a bearing on some of the things you need to know.

Jim
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
truevine77

Thanks CKS

You can e-mail me at [email protected] - I'd love to see a Bermie seawind. It would have been nice for you to post it and show off your piece of paradise. I changed my engine to a Magnum 4 stroke .91 - I was convinced that it was smoother and more quiet.

Hey JRF

You discerned correctly - I'm a newbie. And I jumped with two feet in waters above my head - seduced by the Seawind. I'm going to have my Seawind constructions supervised by a local hobbyshop. Me and my wife are being seduced into buying a used full scale Seawind in a year or so. That propelled me towards this irrational purchase.

I'll try to get some practice first from FSone then hire a trainer. In the meantime I'll hang my Seawind up for inspiration. Those are the reasons for all the questions.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 PM
jrf

truevine:

Since you are buying a full scale Seawind, you must be an experienced full scale pilot. Would you jump into the full scale Seawind without paying your dues? Don't assume that your full scale skills will help you with models. It is very different and the skills you already have will actually handicap you in learning to fly R/C.

In models, just like in full scale, you have to learn and perfect the basic skills before you can successfully fly a high performance airplane like the Seawind. If you don't, I will absolutely guarantee that you will crash the Seawind the first time you try to fly it, no matter how much simulator time you have and how good your instructior is.

If you want to hang the Seawind on the ceiling for inspiration, that's great. But if you want to actually fly it, you are going to have to buy yourself a trainer and learn to fly it on wheels. Then put floats on it and learn to fly it from water. Then maybe, with a very good instructor on a buddy box, you might be able to get the Seawind off the water in one piece.

One final point. In most urban and suburban areas, flying model airplanes is considered a hazardous activity and it is prohibited where it is not specifically authorized. Trying to fly from the "many harbors, marinas and inlets" around New Haven and Stamford will allow you to meet lots of unsympathetic people in uniforms.

As hobbies go, R/C airplanes is fairly inexpensive and very rewarding. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

Jim

Old 01-12-2007, 05:15 PM
truevine77

Hey JRF

You're assuming quite a lot - mostly negative too. I'm not planning on flying illegally or irresponsibly. I do want to explore all the possibilities and the freedom of flying off water bodies.

Every sport does even better when they have good ambassadors. If I'm misinterpreting then please come again.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:50 PM
jrf

I am not accusing you of wanting to "flying illegally or irresponsibly". I am simply trying to make you aware of the realities of what you are trying to do. You have admitted that you are a newbie, and it is clear from other statements you have made that you have not sought the advice of an experienced RC modeler or joined an RC flying club, which would be your best sources of information.

If you try to do something as complex and thoroughly restricted as flying a high performance seaplane without an understanding of the risks and responsibilities that you will be taking on, the results could cause both you and all the rest of us a lot of grief. We would like to have you as a knowledgeable participant in this great hobby. But the way you seem to be going about it is very likely to result in your flying illegally and irresponsibly, whether you intended to do so or not.

Please, find an RC Club in your area, visit their flying field, talk to their instructors (you don't have to hire one, they will almost always teach you to fly at no charge if you join the club) and try to learn what you will need to know before you get us all in trouble.

If I am wrong and you have enough RC experience to fly the Seawind and you have located a flying site that allows fuel powered RC flying, then I apologize, and wish you well.

Jim
Old 01-14-2007, 11:17 PM
mitchamus

ORIGINAL: jrf

truevine:
Don't assume that your full scale skills will help you with models. It is very different and the skills you already have will actually handicap you in learning to fly R/C.

Don't believe everything you read... truevine.. like this statement for example... it's complete BS.

Your seat of the pants skills won't help you... but your effects of controls, stall recognition, gliding & landing attitude setup, plus all the ground school theory and everything else will be a great help.....

A lot of people try and push this scenario (usually people with no full size experience) and it really is just a load of twaddle....

It's nice to get to teach a fellow pilot.... you don't have to explain what ailerons do....
you don't have to explain about stretching glides, impossible turns, etc etc...

It helps a lot... simple as that...
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM
truevine77

Thanks Michamus and Jim (for your legitimate concerns)

I stated in an earlier post that I had hooked up with a local hobby shop and would seek out a trainer after going through FSone for awhile. I've seen some flyers employing videocams on vert/horiz servos and flying with goggles from the video feed. Nice!! That's now my goal - that would seem to make it a lot easier for me. Anyone trying that?

I've decided that I'll also get a park flyer for more freedom of places to fly. I bought a Magnum .91 four stroke to replace the Supertiger .91 on the Nitroplane.

I was trying to get the building of the plane supervised through the hobby shop but the haven't been able to produce one yet. The major problem I have with building the Nitroplane is that there are no predrilled holes for the engine or wings the GP version has them and I thought NP had them also. Does anyone have tips of info of how they went about drilling these holes accurately?

Thanks - I think if I could overcome that hurdle then I have the joy and challenge of building it myself.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:02 PM
fay

Hi guys,

Just receive mine yesterday .. not from NitroModel but from china. I think it's the same with nitro model due same picture attachment in 1st page.

the built was awesome but only u need to think and guest where to put the bolt and nut.

the only difficult part for me is elevator fix... there is no hole to dig and need to measure everything .. event need to epoxy or not is not in the manual..

to friend already flon this bird.. how was it?

some pix to share for now..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf99729.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	297.8 KB
ID:	713772  
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 PM
fay

some more pix..

hope can load due can't post tomany pix in early reply.

Name:	Ge95431.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	713773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64399.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	713774   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32455.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	713775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wq42427.jpg
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	713776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fq87744.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	713777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kb45952.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	713778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ln11508.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	713779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj33080.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	713780  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cb53915.jpg
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	713781   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bn68402.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	713782  
Old 06-30-2007, 02:16 AM
fay

Guys need somehelp on rudder and elev,

there is 2 servo mount on the fuselage(unused due not putting wheel) and is it possibles i use Sullivan SemiFlex for this 2 control? or batter with Sullivan Flex(but not so good on elev due it's flex type).

thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 AM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

I have both versions , and I think the Nitro one is better designed...Fay , just do what most others have done...read the posts and find out

Which shop in China did you get it from ???
Old 07-02-2007, 02:17 AM
fay

ORIGINAL: SON OF PALEFACE

I have both versions , and I think the Nitro one is better designed...Fay , just do what most others have done...read the posts and find out

Which shop in China did you get it from ???
already read from 3 thread and found non using of this method.
except here there is GP seawind thread at
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33..._1/key_/tm.htm built thread
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34..._1/key_/tm.htm report flight

btw friend of mine get it for me and i'll ask if there is web from china.

Old 07-02-2007, 02:19 AM
fay

Anyone know how to fix this on the wing?

due it's 4 unit it's must be on the wing...

there is other cover but i think water will be easy access on it.

thanks

Name:	Mj24633.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	714955  
Old 07-02-2007, 03:49 AM
SON OF PALEFACE
My Feedback: (1)

I dont know either , the only thing I thought of was extra covers for the 4 wing servos , to help keep water off them [sm=confused.gif]
This one is much better than the GP's
Old 07-02-2007, 04:25 AM
fay

that cover is not in the manual and i think the round/circle is for servo gear out and if using this cap so many things need to be done.

there is other 4pcs hard balsa for wing servo place with no block supplied, but i think water will be easy access on it.. still thinking how to do with wing..

btw u know what is this (like ball cranks) on this post
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...4/key_/tm.htm#
post number #273...
good idea for rudder and elev, but i'll pre test using Sullivan SemiFlex and put the servo on the fuselage tray.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:28 AM
fay

and more pix on this
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_33...15/key_/tm.htm
post #283

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.