Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

Nitroplanes Seawind

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

Nitroplanes Seawind

Old 08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
nilsreinert123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Nitroplanes Seawind

thank you for the advise .
I will try and hopefully i can get it airborne!
Old 08-06-2009, 05:30 PM
tom jacomini
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hifreddy-i just bought nitros pitts m-12-good construction-i stripped it and am going to beef it up for a 1.60-they have nowhere near the support greatplanes has-but -i did not pay much for the a/c-i am experienced-55years- so i'll make it into a good a/c-tommy
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM
ALO 111

Well I maidened my seawind today.Had a few runs first with her wanting to dig a wing in but then got the speed up and she ran a long long way before a pulled back on the stick and she lifted of. I had to really hold a lot of up elevator to keep her from diving straight down. The trim was so bad that i could not let go of the stick to trim as she would just dive. I have the CG at 90mm but i think its tail heavy because when i tried to climb just a bit she would point straight up. The elevators where at 35 %expo but still I could not control the climb and dive ,it was pretty much straight up or straight down. I selected flaps and tried to land but elevator control was difficult.Landed a bit hard but no major damage.
I understand the GP seawind cg,s at 26 mm where are you guys cg ing this plane? please help
Old 10-21-2009, 01:24 PM
ALO 111

The correct cg for the nitro seawind is at 35 to 40 mm from the leading edge measured upside down with a full tank. It flys like a dream.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:29 PM
fay

ORIGINAL: ALO 111

The correct cg for the nitro seawind is at 35 to 40 mm from the leading edge measured upside down with a full tank. It flys like a dream.
Hi,

what engine you use?
thanks..
Old 04-18-2011, 08:11 AM
nilsreinert123

This really is a tricky plane! I am an experienced rc pilot , but this is my first seaplane. I have a OS 75 AX two stroke on it.
It will not take off , because when it is planing on the water it will not pick up more speed because it starts to bounce and then crashes nose first in the water!
It is probably a bad design ,but it was cool to taxi around with it although!

I have read all the threads about the seawind, so i really dont know what more i can do to get it airborne..
Old 04-18-2011, 11:46 PM
ALO 111

Try holding full up elevator and slowly increasing power while keeping the wings level. You can hold a lot of up elevator without her taking off,slowly start letting off up elevator as speed picks up. I can hold about half up elevator at take off speed without her taking off. She needs plenty speed and a long run. Then you can ease her up real slow,i dont use flaps on take off. Are you sure of your cg?
Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Take offs are ok,flying easy NOW LANDING thats another story.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:46 AM
nilsreinert123

Hi
,i checked the CG ,and added alittle lead ,so now it is at 37 mm from LE with full tank, and added max EPA on the elevator so i have as much as possible up elevator.
I will test it again tomorrow ,and see if i can avoid the bouncing.. I hope i can learn to take it off! It was very cool to taxi around with some speed ,and if i can get it to fly it will be a joy!
There was flat water with no waves so it is not waves that make it bounce either. Maybe a lot of up elevator can hold it still.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:53 AM
nilsreinert123

It flew!! it was an amazing experience.
I followed your advice ALO and used as much elevator as i could get and no flaps , and it planed without bouncing ! i learned the knack and it took of.
I had 2 flights today and i landed it pretty well ,but some bouncing in the end killed the engine. I think i need more elevator to stall it on landing.
This is the most fun plane i have flown. Looking forward to more flights on it!! But it is a plane for experienced pilots i think.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 PM
ALO 111

Well done ! Let me know how the future flights go.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:11 AM
nilsreinert123

I had 3 more flights with my NP Seawind yesterday ,it flys like a dream! The OS75ax is a very good engine for it with lots of power to spare. I flew around really slow and easy. 5.2 kg is not to much weight It flew good.

I re linked the elevator rod so i now have more up elev.

Takeoffs went fine ,i never take off before i get it on the step planing with out bouncing , when it is planing steadily i throttle up for takeoff ,then it will not bounce. If it start to bounce in the beginning before on step, i throttle down and go around for another try.
It is a technic.

It also landed nice ,i was careful and landed it easy with full flaps and avoided any bouncing

Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 AM
ALO 111

I am glad you are enjoying her, tell me a bit about your landing techique please.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
nilsreinert123

Yeah , i am absolutely enjoing her!

Have you flown yours alot ?

I have flown warbirds with flaps alot ,and feel that it is the same thing with the Seawind regarding landing approaches. Try to slow it down in the last turn before final approach.
You got to get the feel of it in your fingers
I havent had so many flights on the Seawind yet ,but when landing i dont land it before i have the right speed to touch down with a slightly high nose so that the step and rear end touches down at about the same time.
I am still learning ,and at one landing that bounced i think i maybe flared too much so that it splashed down and started a bounce..

I like the type of challenge this airplane gives you

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM
heinzulrich

Hey fellas, I had a lot of problems with my take off's and landings, finally started using my flaps and haven't had a problem since flies great. Oh, I did change mine to electric and placed the battery in the fuselage, she is as gentle as a cub now..
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM
nilsreinert123

I flew my Seawind this weekend for the first time in a year and i flew it 5 flights with all landings beeing able to taxi back after I have a OS 75ax on it and its fast. Hope to fly it again soon.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:36 PM
nilsreinert123

I found that this airplane is delivered with wrong instructions for building. The rear wing (stab) has actually a lifting profile and must be installed inverted so that it gives negative lift! This solves all the takeoff crash problems !
Old 07-07-2020, 04:53 PM
heinzulrich

Interesting, I have one, flew ok until I went electric (yuck)
and by placing battery sideways in front of the front former
For balancing, now it really flies great. Stable, doesn't have that top heavy feel to it.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:37 AM
nilsreinert123

And it makes sense when you use flaps you increase the angle between wing and stab. When i fixed the stab i suddenly had elevator control at much lower speeds, and could land and take off much more controlled. This is really a construction fault from nitroplanes that has caused a lot of problems for their customers.
Old 08-30-2020, 01:29 AM
fly72

Smile

Looking for a copy of the seawind nitro instruction build manual as i seem to have mislaid mine. (NOT the great planes version)

Any help appreciated
Old 08-31-2020, 11:46 AM
nilsreinert123

You dont really need a manual , if there is one it is probably wrong. Yust remember to balance CG at about 37mm from LE as discussed in this thread and mount the stab "upside down" because it has a lifting airfoil so it should give negative lift. If you do that you should have a well flying seaplane with good elevator authority. And dont forget the water rudder ;-)