Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Seaplanes
Reload this Page >

PBM Mariner

Notices
Seaplanes Aircraft that typically take off and land on water...radio control seaplane discussions are in here.

PBM Mariner

Old 02-19-2003, 07:32 PM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PBM Mariner

oops, made an error in the address for the plans. The correct address is [email protected]
Old 02-19-2003, 08:51 PM
BillHarris

Default PBM Mariner

Sparkie:

Agreed, there is _nada_ wrong with foam wing construction. With R/C sailplanes, where the wings have to withstand a hundred pounds of tension on the winch line on launch, the wings have to withstand several hundred pounds of loading and not fail. Sailplane wings are the lightest and strongest made.

And my Zagi slope plane has withstood crashes that would discombobulate a built-up wing.

I think that "bad press" on foam wings is that many trainers and park-flyers use that wing construction and it ain't regarded as serious.

I'll confess, I love building and get a thrill out of seeing a wing build up from ribs, spars and cap-strips, but I've got a couple of projects in the works that will use a foam-core wing.
Nice PBM! One of my long-standing desires is a PBY Catalina, and later, a CL215.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:41 AM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default PBM Mariner

Foam has a bad rap about being cheap from the injection mold kits from the 80's. Shure Flite I think they where called? As for making the planes your self I think it's just a matter of getting all new equipment and acquiring new building skills. I thought about getting some foam cutting equipment myself but when I saw the price of wire cutters I gave up on it. I got some more wood working tools instead. I have to admit to feeling let down when I see "wood/foam construction" at the end of the description of a plane I like in a plans catalog. I just like working with wood. I think it's just working with wood gives you an old time craftsmen type feeling whereas foam in more of a modern mass-produced cold industrial feeling.

I don't like foam personally from making plugs for fiberglass molds out of it. The main thing was foam dust from sanding. That stuff gets everywhere and sticks like mad because of it's static charge. I tried to vacuum it up and that crap just jumped on the vacuum nozzle and hung on to it.

Clay Ramskill has a very interesting article on it. ANALYZING THE FOAM WING
Old 02-22-2003, 04:02 PM
AmishWarlord
My Feedback: (5)

Default PBM Mariner

Well since there is going to be lots of PBM's I'll have to find something else.

Hmmm this one is diffrent. It's ugly though and not in a good way like a PBY or A-10 :P
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	57359_17427.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	28946  
Old 02-24-2003, 03:14 AM
egor

Default PBM Mariner

Nony:

If you could scan any of these that you have and send them to me I would appreciate it. A friend of mines father served on one of these in wwII. We are both r/c pilots and if I could I would like to give him these if you wouldn't mind. Like most of you I have been searching the web for along time and there is very little information on this plane.

Thomas Buehrer
[email protected]
egor
Old 02-24-2003, 03:51 AM
omcusnr

Default PBM Mariner

Sparky,

I guess there are a lot of guys out there like me who learned how to build w/ sticks & tissue, and just haven't learned how to do foam. I'd be intrested in a how to book. I havn't got a clue how to get foam where to look for it how to work it, etc.
Old 04-15-2003, 02:14 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default PBM Mariner

Relax Guys, I have two PBM's. 8 foot span, 6 foot fuse. Powered by either .45's or .52 4 stroke. The plans are finished and so is the article. I'll be turning it in soon. I'd bet it will be available for your next winter project.
I was wondering if there is any update on this project??
Old 04-23-2003, 12:00 AM
Wayne22
My Feedback: (2)

Default PBM Mariner

Trying to keep this one alive.... I can't wait to see the construction article on the Mariner. I emailed M.A.N. asking when it would be published. They nicely thanked me for my interest, and said that they are still evaluating it.
If anyone else is as eager to see this as I am, it might be an idea to let MAN know that there is an interest in this project......
Old 05-05-2003, 08:51 AM
LaserTank

Default PBM Mariner

I've seen this bird of Sparky's and it is truely an outstanding piece of work. The process is as simple as balsa, sand and sculpt.
I have to say that it seems that it is a quicker method of building and design, and that is coming from someone who sells cut wood parts. Simplicity. That is what gets you up in the air quickly and Sparky can write the book on it.

Kyle
Old 06-06-2003, 06:09 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Default PBM Mariner

The plans by Ed Zamaitas are really good,just got a set.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:07 PM
wgreeley

Default RE: PBM

I was looking through some old 1985 Scale RC Modelers and came across a picure of John Nicolaci's PBM with a JATO takeoff. At that time he had been flying the model for ten years. The big Martin had twin Super Tigre .75's, on-board starters, five parachutists, five quart fuel capacity, and JATO assist. At one time he tried to fly across Buzzards Bay from New Bedford, MA to Martha's Vineyard (about 27 miles). The battery drain was a bit more than expected and it spiraled in from 300'. Some local lobstermen saw the crash from a distance and, thinking it was a full sized aircraft, called the Coast Guard. A Coast Guard helicopter was on the scene by the time John was retrieving the pieces into his Boston Whaler. It was rebuilt and eventually made the crossing successfully.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34739.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	79095